Help wanted: Banner Ads

General Clan Lord discussion

Moderator: CL GMs

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Help wanted: Banner Ads

Post by Eldon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:48 am

With a little reminding from me, Joe is interested in using banner ads to advertise Clan Lord:

Joe wrote:Yeah!

For starters, it'd be nice to have a selection of standardish banners
to choose from.

I'll supply prizes for good ones.

--Joe

So, you've heard it here first! Let's have a contest. Joe judges. All may enter. One may leave.

Well, not really...

So, is anyone knowledgeable about how big banner ads should be? Should they be limited to 256 colors? Who has experience with this because I clearly don't?
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive

Re: Help wanted: Banner Ads

Post by Skirwan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:14 am

Eldon wrote:So, is anyone knowledgeable about how big banner ads should be?

Sizes: http://www.iab.net/standards/adunits.asp
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Post by Fundin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:22 am

Something in my trade :)

Banner size is going to depend on where you advertise, people have differing sizes (pixel) and sizes (kb) requirements.

Some might allow a flash banner, other say gif animation only, some just one jpeg no animation. Im up for doing a banner but id like to know what restrictions we would have, i.e. can you ask the people where you *think* you might place them for more details :0)
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:48 am

Fundin wrote:... can you ask the people where you *think* you might place them for more details :0)

Psst. This is Joe. He gives us the, uhm, freedom to design what we think the banner ads should be. :)

I imagine it'll go like this:
- Eldon: Joe, remember when you mentioned banner ads? Are we making some? Could the players help?
- Joe: Sure! I'll give prizes.
- Players: What are the specs?
- (silence)
- Some Player: I made the following. It meets most places' specs.
- Joe: You win!

:lol:
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Elenis_Reyav
Exile

Post by Elenis_Reyav » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:57 am

Done a bit of stuff in this field. What kind of place(s) do you want to advertise? A few popular choices are:

* Game collective websites. ie. popcap.com or miniclip.com
* Webzines/Infosites. ie. slashdot or ign
* Webcomics. ie. pennyarcade.com or nuklearpower.com

The two former are higher-powered, the latter has been found to be an excellent price-point demographic.

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:38 am

Elenis_Reyav wrote:Done a bit of stuff in this field. What kind of place(s) do you want to advertise? A few popular choices are:

* Game collective websites. ie. popcap.com or miniclip.com
* Webzines/Infosites. ie. slashdot or ign
* Webcomics. ie. pennyarcade.com or nuklearpower.com

The two former are higher-powered, the latter has been found to be an excellent price-point demographic.

What is your suggestion on which one to choose on the first go?
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM

Elenis_Reyav
Exile

Post by Elenis_Reyav » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:07 am

Frankly, the webcomics are the easiest on a low-budget and serve well for a growing audience. There's also more customization availible since you tend to be working with a smaller advertising group. Past that slashdot is a good quick-boost in attention, but requires something to keep people and I don't know that CL really has that yet. Game collective websites would likely flood CL entirely - you tend to get several hundred people from such sites and they are typically between the ages of 12 and 19. My own opinion on the CL demographic pegs it a bit higher on the whole.

So... webcomics.

Sutai
Exile

Post by Sutai » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:46 pm

If you're going for the webcomics angle, an '8 bit Theatre' approach might attract some notice. :) Phineas has some good ideas, right?!

Maybe, just maybe, if I have some time, I'll throw in something with the Sutai stylings.

:B

It would be wise to play up the fun & community aspects of CL. Don't make it look "cool", or you're bound to get some disgruntled customers!

Yay, advertising!

Elenis_Reyav
Exile

Post by Elenis_Reyav » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:22 am

If you want to advertise with nuklear power, (8-bit theater) you'll be talking to the guys at ZeStuff. They also handle advertising for ctrlaltdel (another webcomic). Talk to Pierre, he can run you through various price-point packages and give a run-down of the specs. I recommend the sidebar adverts for maximum impact/cost efficiency.

Paramedic
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Profession: Healer
Race: Thoom
Player Status: Active

Post by Paramedic » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:37 am

I'd recommend the web comics approach initially also. My mind boggles a bit at the idea of a Clan Lord ad on Penny Arcade.

There's a lot of source material in the TMN archives. I think there are others here with much more knowledge about banner ad creation and placement than me, but if there's anything I can do to lend a hand, let me know.

If you search for "ad art contest" on TMN, you can find the various entries for the TMN banner contests I have run a couple of times. They were focused on TMN, not Clan Lord in general, but there are creative and interesting ideas in there.

Sutai mentioned Phineas having good ideas. Phineas won the last TMN Ad Art contest:

http://www.thoomcare.com/archives/001683.html

DeathLord
Exile
Profession: Champion
Race: Human
Player Status: Spambot

Post by DeathLord » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:08 am

I would imagine Penny Arcade would be really expensive to advertise on. They get an insane amount of traffic and if it went up on /. you would watch the CL webserver catch fire and die most likely.

Joedelta
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Joedelta » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:18 am

I am woefully ignorant about ads.

In general, I am ideologically opposed to advertising. I think it's usually a form of pollution -- pollution that people pay cash money to do. Ick.

That said, we've got a pretty cool little community here, and I'm willing to put a few bucks into growing it. Heck, if it _works,_ we'll put a lot of bucks into growing it. Because then we'll have bucks.

I'm not going to give guidelines or limitations. We've all seen ads. They vary.

We'll no doubt do a lot of experimentation, and we'll try to have some brilliant scheme that lets us tell which ads and which places work.

By the way, I hadn't seen the TMN thing Phineas did. I laughed pretty hard.

For prizes, I'm thinking each winner gets to (help) design an invasion. Does that sound tempting?

Mjollnir
Noble
Profession: Healer/Alchemist
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Mjollnir » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:18 am

Joedelta wrote:For prizes, I'm thinking each winner gets to (help) design an invasion. Does that sound tempting?

Damn my complete lack of artistic skills
A good pun is its own reword

Elenis_Reyav
Exile

Post by Elenis_Reyav » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:35 am

DeathLord wrote:I would imagine Penny Arcade would be really expensive to advertise on. They get an insane amount of traffic and if it went up on /. you would watch the CL webserver catch fire and die most likely.

Ya know, PAs advertising rate *actually* isn't that bad. The problem is more getting them to slide you into their rotating banners for a significant amount of time. Which might not be that bad a thing. The primary advertisement scheme for PA works via a rotation banner system such that you pay for X,000 displays and you get that many, interweaved with other banners on their site. Other sites just give you XX hours of time during which your banners will be displayed. Good if the site is really up-and-coming or is expected to get a large popularity hit. Anywho, do some adverting and let's see what gets reeled in. For our demographic 8-bit theater and Order of the Stick would be recommended (Just by me).

Kaerie
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Kaerie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:52 am

Joedelta wrote:In general, I am ideologically opposed to advertising. I think it's usually a form of pollution -- pollution that people pay cash money to do. Ick.

Back in the Stone Age, Thag the Caveman accidentally discovered that clay underneath the campfire would harden. With a little experimentation, he found he could make shapes and harden them in fires. He made what we today would call a jug and found it was a wonderful invention that helped him carry water, improving the health of his entire family. And thus was born pottery

He thought carefully. Could there be a way to let his invention benefit his whole tribe? Let's see... he could keep it a secret... no, that wouldn't help anybody. Of course! He could tell someone about it! And thus was born advertising.

You might be irritated by the number of ads, or their design or location or other excesses of advertising in the modern world, but "ideologically opposed?" I personally am irritated by the ridiculous warning labels on many products, but that does not mean I am ideologically opposed to safety.

It is impossible to run an economy (not just a capitalist economy, but any kind of economy) without advertising. Even the Soviet Union used advertising to inform its citizens what meager products were available in its state-run stores. Without advertising producers could not gain rewards for their efforts, and in consequence there would be no producers (the same is true of modern "service industries").

There have been many serious ethicists and philosophers who have argued that the over-abundance of needless luxuries and idle pleasures in the modern world are a bad thing, both morally and practically. They sometimes blame the existence of them on the existence of advertising as a profession. I could devote more paragraphs to a rebuttal of this particular objection to advertising, but I'm sure its not necessary-- MMORPGs are needless luxuries and idle pleasures, so obviously you are not "ideologically opposed" to advertising on that particular accustation.

Why did this topic set me off? Because my Father is in the advertising business and is the most most ethical, responsible and good man that I know. He gives seminars on the ethics of advertising; as president of the American Advertising Federation he was one of the first people to criticize corrupt advertising like the "Joe Camel" cigarette ads. Because advertising is an inescapable necessity (like it or not), it will always be with us. Fighting unethical-- or obnoxious-- advertising requires making the distinction between the unethical and the ethical. Just saying-- because you find billboards ugly or whatever-- that you are "ideologically opposed" to advertising is similar to trying to oppose pollution by saying you are "ideologically opposed" to having an atmosphere.

There are certainly unethical advertisers, greedy advertisers, and inept advertisers. There are also unethical, greedy and inept bankers, accountants and computer programmers. But what someone once said about lawyers (I think it was Oliver Wendell Holmes but I'm not sure) I would extend to all these professions: because they are so necessary to the functioning of our society, they are "entitled to be judged by their best, not by their worst."

--Kaerie