Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Re: v1042 discussion

Post by Lorikeet » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:02 pm

No, Fafnir. How can it be an option if it has nothing to do with ClanLord?

The first thing that has to happen is for Joe to agree to people trying to fix stuff. If he doesn't, it won't be open source regardless. Unless you are just talking about an alternative that is entirely different.

Fafnir
Exile

Post by Fafnir » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:51 pm

The best actual platform for CL is probably the Switch except it's owned by Nintendo which til last year has been rather closed to the spirit that made CL. By the way Osito provide me with my password but now I have the hurdle of the macros.

thesquib
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

Post by thesquib » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 pm

If anyone wanted to see the web client proof of concept in action here are a couple of gifs.
The gifs might be a bit slow to load at first. Also there's some obvious things missing, like character shadows, among many other things.

Normal viewport - down in the myrm caves:
https://giphy.com/gifs/xT0xexchmqhudXfCV2

Extra big viewport (you can see the edges of the visible part of the world coming in and out). Also side by side with real client:
http://www.giphy.com/gifs/l2QEepWO2jBYx23Qs

I added a couple of screenshots of some macro parsing. Forgot I'd done this at some point:
https://imgur.com/a/734L6
HWC Ruuk

thesquib
Exile

Post by thesquib » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:56 pm

Fafnir wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:51 pm
The best actual platform for CL is probably the Switch except it's owned by Nintendo which til last year has been rather closed to the spirit that made CL. By the way Osito provide me with my password but now I have the hurdle of the macros.
The switch is awesome
HWC Ruuk

reckinyards
Noble
Profession: #&$@
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by reckinyards » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:23 am

well at least we still have our discord and fb group. hopefully those who are not in them yet find their way there
11/2/09 7:02:10p Gustave says, "my fight is very vectorized"

Frenzymac
Exile
Race: Human

Post by Frenzymac » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:55 am

And yeah Fuck you GM's.

How you can let die "such an execellent thought", just because of your own behavour. Close it for new players, an let the time pass (and hold it out).

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Daimoth » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:51 am

This is heartbreaking. Like a girlfriend talking about breaking up. Except this time, I want to make it work out. Tell me how, baby.
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling
Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Post by Jazz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:13 am

thesquib wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 pm
If anyone wanted to see the web client proof of concept in action here are a couple of gifs.
Ruuk... do you think this is a more viable future for CL than Maz's single-window client? His code is OLD obvi, but maybe more updateable than the official client (this assumes anyone still knows Maz or can get a hold of him or get him to give away his hard work/code etc.). Your Chrome Lord easier than re-writing the official client? Etc. Keep us posted. Help us Obi Wan Ruuk... you're (possibly) our only hope!

Anyways... I love what you're doing with this. Please, please let me know how I (and those a lot smarter than I) can help! :-)
Bang a rang!

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Fogtripper » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:14 am

Fafnir wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:51 pm

i would sooner toss money at GMs than I would at nintendo, which would have a smaller playerbase than mac/pc.

/e dreams of CL recreated in ArmA3

thesquib
Exile

Post by thesquib » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:48 am

I don't know. Also there is the requirement for it to be multiplatform, and I don't know what Maz used. Perhaps mac only?

I think we need to wait to see what Joe's response is, if any. He may or may not be Keen for any of this.
Jazz wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:13 am
thesquib wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 pm
Ruuk... do you think this is a more viable future for CL than Maz's single-window client? His code is OLD obvi, but maybe more updateable than the official client (this assumes anyone still knows Maz or can get a hold of him or get him to give away his hard work/code etc.). Your Chrome Lord easier than re-writing the official client? Etc. Keep us posted. Help us Obi Wan Ruuk... you're (possibly) our only hope!

Anyways... I love what you're doing with this. Please, please let me know how I (and those a lot smarter than I) can help! :-)
HWC Ruuk

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance

Post by Jazz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:04 pm

thesquib wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:48 am
I think we need to wait to see what Joe's response is, if any. He may or may not be Keen for any of this.
Hopefully it's not too long for someone to get a hold of Joe in the Upside Down. 8-bit lives are at stake here!! Thanks Ruuk. :-)
Bang a rang!

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance

Post by Jazz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Arindal Client? Better, worse... the same? Accessible for updates??
Bang a rang!

InuTeisei
Exile
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Inactive
Location: Sneaking up on you... shopping somewhere in puddleby

Post by InuTeisei » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:26 pm

:(
.:: Smoochy Boochies :: Inu Teisei :D :: Laughing Academy® .. We fall so you don't have to! .. Falling at a snell near you .. Charge! er no Run! Run! :: This sig has been donated to CHICKEN GLORY!! :: When I hear Eldon, I think of office supplies ::.

Yappy
CL GM
CL GM
Profession: GM
Race: Concealed

Post by Yappy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Jazz wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 pm
Without knowing more about the account portal it's difficult to know the extent of the problem. What languages are involved? Was SOCKS not talking to PHP anymore or something like that? Merchant account issues? What?

How can we as players often brilliant ideas when we know so little. At this point... open up... tell us more... what's the harm?
Here's my understanding of the account portal: we used the OSCommerce service <https://www.oscommerce.com/> with a lot of third-party modifications involving MySQL and PHP. Time passes. And passes. And there is a hardware failure at our host provider. And in the process of repairing/upgrading their hardware, they also upgraded their software which in turn horked the structure of our account portal.

So yeah, even if we had some PHP hotshots volunteer their services to rebuild the account portal, gratis, that only addresses one piece of this puzzle. But that's the story behind the account portal.

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance

Post by Jazz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Yappy wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:15 pm
But that's the story behind the account portal.
Thanks Yappy! Personally, it would make much more sense to "modernize" the payments than try to fix oscommerce/MySQL/PHP stuff. That sounds yucky. I haven't touched custom ecommerce with MySQL/PHP for like 10 years. Square/Paypal/Venmo/Patreon etc. etc. All very easy to setup and use. Whatever GM that was used to manipulating accounts after a payment was received (or a new GM) would still have to do that, but the money part would be worlds easier to deal with.

Let us know what JOE says! We gotta save this sinking ship! It can be done free/cheap I'm sure! ;)
Bang a rang!