The Slyph and Trymon music contest!

IC only discussion in game events, clans, weddings, parties, anything...

Moderators: Lorikeet, Kani, wangahrah

Trymon
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Town sitter
Race: Thoom
Player Status: Active

Post by Trymon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:26 pm

Hear ye, hear ye!

Bards, questers, hopefuls, soulless rankwhores with an artistic fiber, people inspired by large sums of money, and the random passing bums... It is my great honor and pleasure to present:

As all of you who haven't spent the last few years with your head under a rock or in another unpleasant place know, Slyph and I are engaged. Though the date has not yet been determined, the wedding grows closer by the hour. Of course, it would not do to have such an event without adequate music. This is your chance to write that music and celebrate our union.

So here it is: the most outrageous contest in history, the greatest musical event Puddleby has seen since the Slyphonics, and your chance to be a part of it!

Despite the lengthy rules below, the concept is simple: Write a lovely musical piece to honor Slyph and me and celebrate the wedding, then send it to me.

The Rules:

- No limitations are set on the style and tone of the submissions, but wedding-appropriate mood will be favored. One song, not necessarily the contest winner, will be used as the march during the ceremony. Other songs will be played during the celebrations. All songs must be written for Slyph and myself, and reflect that fact in their title.

- The wedding is not the contest! Contest prizes will be handed out as appropriate prior to the event, and winners announced with due fanfare, but the wedding itself is an event of greatest solemnity; rowdy cheering mobs will not be tolerated.

- All pieces must be original and written specifically for the event. They must not have been played before in the lands, and may not be played until the wedding. For anyone. Timing exceptions have been made for bards who have written songs for it prior to this announcement with express permission from the judges; all other contest rules apply. Plagiarism, renaming of existing pieces, or performing the song before the wedding will render the submission null and void.

- Submissions are limited to one per person, with an exception for collaborative work (you may submit one yourself, and a duo with another bard, for instance). Personal pieces submitted after the first will replace it, with the latest piece being the one entered in the contest. Do not attempt to abuse the generous prizes by having friends and family submit further pieces, as some of the best trained ears in the island will take part in the judging and see through such tricks (and really, how desperate can you be for just a few thousand coins?).

- Pieces must be sent to my personal box on the Sentinel, in usable format, including tempo, instrument(s), and the piece's name. DO NOT play it for me in town, or post it here in response to this invitation. Do not post the composition on your own scrolls or someone else's until the wedding. Pieces will be strictly kept under wraps until the event.
If necessary, submissions may be sent to puddlebox 2572. Given the high chance of corruption inherent in this method, sentinel messages are strongly encouraged.

- Neither I, nor the other judges, make claims to ownership of the pieces, nor will they be used for any purpose other than a) Offering them for the hired bards to play during the wedding, and b) Judging the quality of the pieces to determine the winners. After the wedding, you will be free to play your composition to your heart's content, or pass them along to bards for them to play if you aren't one yourself.

- Pieces unbefitting of the tone of the event or unworthy of its cachet may end up not being used during the celebration, especially if the contest sees a large number of responses. No explanations will be offered, nor should be asked for, of the choice of music played at the wedding. That said, every last submission deemed receivable will earn their author one of the prizes, and the honor of their piece being listed on the wedding program. Great leniency will be applied to the judging to make sure effort is compensated, even in the case of an utter lack of talent.

- This contest will end on Terrdi, day 9 of Winter, in the 586th year of the Ascendancy (OOC: Midnight PST on December 25th). At that date, the winners and runners-up will be selected and announced on the Sentinel and ThoomCare, and the prizes handed out. Still the pieces will not be played until the wedding, planned to happen "soon" after.

The Prizes:

A mountain of coins and some rare items have been put aside for the purpose of this contest. More coins may be spent in the case of a large number of submissions.
  • First prize - 10,000 coins, a Sea Horn, and a Thundercloud shirt (the latest carnival shirt)
    Second prize - 7,000 coins, a Sea Horn and an orgaberry cluster
    Third prize - 4,000 coins, a Sea Horn and a lilaberry cluster
    Fourth prize - 3,000 coins and a Sea Horn
    Fifth prize - 2,000 coins and a Sea Horn

"Consolation" prize for everyone else - 1,000 coins

Disclaimer:
This contest is provided with no warranty of any kind, including, but not limited to, the implied warranty of fairness, good-will, or clean prize money. Complaints will be received with a smirk, sardonic laughter, or demeaning comments. No second guessing of the winning choices will be acknowledged or received. Judging and prize allocation will be entirely arbitrary, based, among other concerns, on merit, talent, effort, bribes, mystic promotions offered, advances made that conventional moral may frown upon, political calculations, personal bias, revenge or other grudges, random dice throwing, or appeasing the voices in my head. No guarantee is offered that the entire contest isn't a money laundering operation or tax dodge. No Fen were harmed in the making of this contest, as monitored by the "habitats for fleas" foundation. No such assurances can be made regarding Halflings, as Slyph keeps her ribs recipe well guarded.

Eirian
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Profession: Ranger
Race: Fen'neko

Re: The Slyph and Trymon music contest!

Post by Eirian » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:29 pm

This sounds awesome!

But where did you get all those seahorns?
6/9/10 9:38:37a Eirian Caldwell has fallen to a Dragonfly.
4/14/15 8:53:57p Geotzou says, "i am very patient, except if i have to wait."

Trymon
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Trymon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:56 am

Eirian wrote:But where did you get all those seahorns?
I sent some hired goons to Peaceton for a few zodiacs. They found the slavery there to be more bearable than what I put them through usually, so I even turned a profit by making it an unpaid vacation leave! Some eco-unfriendly seabed combing later, I had plenty of resources for a few sea horns.

Going through the few underwater sn'ells of Peaceton picking up everything will more often than not give the curved ocean shell necessary for a sea horn, and as early as the next day, new shells and corals will have been brought to the surface -- pearls or regular ocean shells, on the other hand, seemed much rarer.

Eirian
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance

Post by Eirian » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:23 am

Maybe Grems and I need to take a second honeymoon.... Too bad there are no water beetles there to make breathing underwater easier. :P

wangahrah
Red Quill
Red Quill
Profession: Necromancer
Race: Sylvan

Post by wangahrah » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:20 am

Trymon wrote: I sent some hired goons to Peaceton for a few zodiacs. They found the slavery there to be more bearable than what I put them through usually, so I even turned a profit by making it an unpaid vacation leave!
I approve of this thoom and how he runs a contest.
Cinnamon wrote:Wangah for Fen President

Kani
Red Quill
Red Quill

Post by Kani » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:25 pm

In the interest of hearing something really awesome, I'd like to add 5000 coins to the prize for whoever win's Trymon's ear.
The obstacle is the path.

Alces
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: *.Stereotype
Race: Human
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Alces » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Kani wrote:In the interest of hearing something really awesome, I'd like to add 5000 coins to the prize for whoever win's Trymon's ear.
I also have given Trymon a Torjo shell for the exact same reason.
Characters on PSA Rank Tracker:
Alces (DPS) - Athran (Brick) - Angadol (Rod) - Abner (Horus) - Ajah (Repairs)
Math, imploring the GMs, wrote:Take bold measures, gentlemen. Save the game.

Guinness
Exile
Profession: Pied Piper
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Guinness » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:55 pm

Hey Swanky,

Do you have a preference for the length of the piece?

- Frothy
Grank exclaims, "Oh my, a ferocious Scavenger Bird!"

Trymon
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Trymon » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Guinness wrote:Do you have a preference for the length of the piece?
And here I thought my rules were extensive!... I suppose I'd forgotten that part.

There are no limitations regarding the length of the pieces, either. As usual, arbitrary considerations will be used for the music played at the wedding, but length will not be a disquialifying factor when it comes to the contest, beyond the obvious (three notes hardly constitute a song!).

My personal preference regarding length... goes to songs that keep me hooked for their whole duration. 8)
Alces wrote:
Kani wrote:In the interest of hearing something really awesome, I'd like to add 5000 coins to the prize for whoever win's Trymon's ear.
I also have given Trymon a Torjo shell for the exact same reason.
I thank you both for your interest and contributions.

Regarding the shell, I recommend that participating bards should indicate if they happen to be missing (an) instrument(s), and I'll see if I can get my hands on the associated part(s). Questers and amateurs who submitted a piece will receive a random instrument part from my stash, while supplies last, as long they plan to (and can) make good use of it.

Ojesi
Exile
Profession: Fighter...

Post by Ojesi » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Only very few hours until deadline :D
One question still: Do you tell the winner before the wedding or is this kept secret until then? It is clear, that the songs won't be played, but what about the winner?

Ojesi
When you're able to read this you should move a bit further away from the screen ;-)

Borzon
Arilon Legacy
Arilon Legacy
Profession: Bloodmage
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Borzon » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:11 am

Hey Trymon you're late :P

xepel
Trainer
Profession: Bard

Post by xepel » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:18 am

Ugh, I wanted to participate in this. Sorry I didn't get around to it. :/
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"

Guinness
Exile
Profession: Pied Piper

Post by Guinness » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:56 am

I am sorry that I missed your deadline Swanky.

The winds of change came by and I had to follow them, I hope to have something written for you but I can make no guarantees. This wind I followed took me into a land far away, I do not know when I'll be able to make it back. I am doing well though, and I am learning a whole bunch of new things from the people here.

I look forward to seeing you all again, be well!

Guinness
Grank exclaims, "Oh my, a ferocious Scavenger Bird!"

Trymon
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Trymon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Apparently I missed my own deadline as well! I was [kidnapped by Darshak | lost in the ethereal plane | left in quantum entanglement bondage | hibernating in the library] (your pick, none are accurate, though that quantum thing sounds interesting).

It seems many people missed the deadline as well, I only received two submissions in time. As a result, and to apologize for the delay, I decided to increase the rewards for the wonderful pieces I did get.

So without further ado...

The winner is Ojesi, and his piece "Joy"!

The runner up is Borzon, with his song named "The Bonfire".

Both were quite well written, but Ojesi's harp melody got the upper hand in the end, netting him a whopping twenty thousand coins, a Thundercloud (carnival) shirt, and a sea horn! Borzon will walk away with ten thousand coins, an orgaberry and a sea horn. I will be sure to look for you two in the lands to hand the rewards.

In addition, with so many people missing the deadline, and since I wouldn't mind more music for the wedding... If anyone feels like writing a piece still, I will gladly accept them and reward the author with a sea horn (while my supplies last), as well as some coins (starting at five thousand).

Congratulations to the winners, and thank you for participating!

Eirian
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance

Post by Eirian » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:26 pm

But when is this fantabulous event to be held? :)