36%
music? what music?
No votes

Total votes: 11

Omega
Exile

Music volume

Post by Omega » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:34 pm

Music is too loud! no offense to bards but one should be able to disable it or have it the volume set at what you have your CL prefs volume set at.

Omega

Brune
Noble
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Brune » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:59 pm

I thought this came up somewhere else, and there was some kind of problem with separating bard sounds (err...music) from other noise.

I wish I could control it. I end up missing a lot of bard music because it's too loud for when/where I might be playing CL. Don't ask.

Omega
Exile

Post by Omega » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:25 pm

yes... well... for me its especially problematic when i am clanning quietly at my desk at work or listening to itunes, Zappa should never be interupted.

)

omega

Perkusi
Exile

Post by Perkusi » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:19 pm

First, I don't know squat about how bard music is coded. I just write the stuff and enjoy playing it. But if you are sitting in town or whatever, you could turn off sound if it's really going to be a problem. I know it's not the optimum solution because you miss other possibly important sounds (sunstone alerts, etc.). But it's there if you really need to make sure music doesn't leak into your work place or um... wherever Brune is clanning. :D

Second, I'd love for music to be softer. The problem I see is that the ambient sounds would totally drown out the subtleties that many bards utilize, like dynamics. (i.e. loud and soft) Other than that, I'm not sure what would have to be done to make music softer, but I'd explore that if I had the power to do so.

Third, turning off music specifically is one of those very OOC things that I'd prefer not happen. If you're sitting in town and you can hear the birds, why can't you hear that set of bagpipes blowing right next to you? So, while turning off only music would be useful, it would make absolutely no sense.

I wonder if there would be a way to separate ambient sound (including music) from sunstone and karma alerts (any others that seem important?). That way you could turn off ambient sound but still get the sounds you might need/want most.

As a bard, I'm not offended at all by people who would rather not hear. I do try to alert nearby folks that I'm about to play, and if people need to move away (or want to ask me to move away), I'm fine with that.

Sutai
Exile

Post by Sutai » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:18 pm

Well, the true solution to this is to handle music with more realism. Probably way too hard to code, but a song should grow louder as you approach and quieter as you walk away.

This way, you can just make your distance if you don't like it, or you could also listen in on a song that already started. Everyone wins. Except for the programmers. ;)

Brune
Noble
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Brune » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:05 pm

In version 371 what's new, it says:
There are now separate volume controls for bard music and other sounds.

That was so fast I'm thinking there was some kind of wormhole effect going on...

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:14 pm

Brune wrote:In version 371 what's new, it says:
There are now separate volume controls for bard music and other sounds.

That was so fast I'm thinking there was some kind of wormhole effect going on...

AnnGM bribed the other GMs with Christmas candy. She's sneaky that way. :wink:
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Omega
Exile

Post by Omega » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:59 pm

Many many thanks to all who had a prt in this feature! Was it a coincidence? Or was it really added that quickly?

In either case thanks again!

Omega )

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:14 am

Sweet! Thanks!
This sig pic removed by Vagile

xepel
Trainer
Profession: Bard
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active

Re: Music volume

Post by xepel » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:45 pm

This was indeed added, for all the bard-music-haters. ;P

Close?
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"