Windows Client

Moderator: CL GMs

Windows Client

Top Priority
28
80%
Good Idea
2
6%
Lukewarm
2
6%
Low Priority
0
No votes
Waste of Time
3
9%
 
Total votes: 35

User avatar
Curmudgeon
Exile
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:14 am

Post by Curmudgeon » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:31 am

Cinnamon wrote:So is there a status on their windows client? What sort of timeline do they have for it? Does it sound like the same deal as when CL talked about it, lo those many years ago?




The Arindal GMs assured that the public Beta of Arindal won't start before there is a working Windows client.

But they also don't give out any exact timelines.

The Windows client is actively developed by a software company paid by FairTales, the company behind the Arindal project.



As far as I understood, DT was only talking about the possibility that there might be a Windows Client at one time in the future, but the Windows client for Arindal is professionally worked on.



--Curmudgeon

User avatar
MiniKlio
Fresh off the Boat
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:55 am
Location: The nearest shoeshop

Post by MiniKlio » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:49 am

A windows client would be helpful in bringing in those folks I know who aren't on Macs, but I do have to say that there's something terribly comforting about, oh, mentioning a tech issue and not having to cringe and explain that I'm on a Mac and no, everything wouldn't be better if I just switched to a different OS 8)



Speaking of cringing: Those of us who are relatively new to the game may be getting, oh, weary of hearing on various threads about how awful it is in TC and how dull CL is now. Silly me, I thought I was having fun!



Not that I don't want folks to seek ways to increase membership; and this not just a CL syndrome but happens with every other message board, society, dormitory, or city I've ever been in once the flush and rush of youth are off. It's just, as I say, offputting to hear--as I heard from the very second I stepped into the CL world--how I ought not to be enjoying the game. I wonder how many potential players that drives away?



Just wonderin'.



Anyway, fewer players means more shoes for me, so I'm biased....

User avatar
Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Posts: 3709
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:58 pm
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active
Contact:

Post by Lorikeet » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:17 am

Grok wrote:


Actually I know Kevin hit 5k a while ago. Or at least he claimed he did.




Say--Kevin didn't happen to sell you the bridge by the undine hut too, did he? ;)

Connie Crete
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:46 am

Post by Connie Crete » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:34 am

Nightbird wrote:So, in summation. Tradition = good, progression = bad?




Try when it comes ta DT spendin muny



DT bizness plan = good

what costumers want DT ta invest in = unimportant



A free windows client, more power ta em. Spendin muny ta do so? not so sure about that.



There be a world o difference between customers and stock holders/owners. Customers pervides feedback which kin guide a company, but not mandate its actions. Also, it aint a matter o what tha customers will spend extra muny on, its a matter o how tha bizness be designed. Radical changes inna bizness plan ought not be made by folks with no investment (real dollars, not ranks).



Unless o course, ya works in retail, where tha customer be allays right.

User avatar
zen
Temple of the Moon
Temple of the Moon
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 10:15 pm
Location: Dragging 20 more carpets to my house.
Contact:

Post by zen » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:36 pm

Connie Crete wrote:
Nightbird wrote:So, in summation. Tradition = good, progression = bad?




Try when it comes ta DT spendin muny



DT bizness plan = good

what costumers want DT ta invest in = unimportant



A free windows client, more power ta em. Spendin muny ta do so? not so sure about that.



There be a world o difference between customers and stock holders/owners. Customers pervides feedback which kin guide a company, but not mandate its actions. Also, it aint a matter o what tha customers will spend extra muny on, its a matter o how tha bizness be designed. Radical changes inna bizness plan ought not be made by folks with no investment (real dollars, not ranks).



Unless o course, ya works in retail, where tha customer be allays right.




Thanks, Connie. You said it nicer than I was going to.



I doubt that anyone here telling DT how to spend money is an insider enough to know what the company's business plan looks like.



For all most of us know, the CL portion of the DT empire could be the tax writeoff that NEEDS to lose money, and doing anything to increase the profit margin (or decrease the loss margin) would be counterproductive.



Yes, Virginia, there really is a loophole.



mind you, I'm not really surmising that this is the case in DT-world <g>
Carpe Occultum via scrotum.

User avatar
Michael
Trainer
Posts: 2490
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Post by Michael » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:42 pm

zen wrote:
Thanks, Connie. You said it nicer than I was going to.



I doubt that anyone here telling DT how to spend money is an insider enough to know what the company's business plan looks like.



For all most of us know, the CL portion of the DT empire could be the tax writeoff that NEEDS to lose money, and doing anything to increase the profit margin (or decrease the loss margin) would be counterproductive.



Yes, Virginia, there really is a loophole.



mind you, I'm not really surmising that this is the case in DT-world <g>




I am sure an empty server would loose them a lot of money every month.



Thats where we are slowly but surley heading.

Grok
Public Relations
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:20 pm
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Spambot
Location: Here
Contact:

Post by Grok » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:03 pm

Lorikeet wrote:
Grok wrote:


Actually I know Kevin hit 5k a while ago. Or at least he claimed he did.




Say--Kevin didn't happen to sell you the bridge by the undine hut too, did he? ;)




Actually, I don't beleive he did... Talk to Leinis about that. Any way, I wouldnt have the money to buy it. And I learned not to trust what 6th Ô fighters say. *cough*Blitz, NB, Sabbit, Crunch*Cough*

User avatar
Nightbird
Exile
Posts: 507
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:20 am
Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL
Contact:

Post by Nightbird » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:08 pm

Ok, so can I fairly assume its ok to lump both Zen and Connie in the "we're ok with CL slowly declining away to nothing" group?



I see the point you've made about our input not having any bearing on what DT should do. However, neither of you really answered the important question. Are you ok with the thought of fewer and fewer people to interact with in CL?
-NB

Grok
Public Relations
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:20 pm
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Spambot
Location: Here
Contact:

Post by Grok » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:16 pm

Well, I would like to point out that there has been a slow increase in the amount of clanners online. The new Demo is really helping. A couple months ago, there where around 45 people on at prime time. Lately ive seen it rise past 80! (on occasion). So I would like to point out that SLOW DECLINE MY (you fill in this blank)!!!!!! 8)

User avatar
Nightbird
Exile
Posts: 507
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:20 am
Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL
Contact:

Post by Nightbird » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:21 pm

Grok wrote:Well, I would like to point out that there has been a slow increase in the amount of clanners online. The new Demo is really helping. A couple months ago, there where around 45 people on at prime time. Lately ive seen it rise past 80! (on occasion). So I would like to point out that SLOW DECLINE MY (you fill in this blank)!!!!!! 8)




I don't have any of the census data handy (could someone who does post a link?) or the data from the in game voting boothes, but I recall seeing/reading them and seeing an obvious drop in players, with spikes of lower and (see above ^^^^) higher attendance here and there, but still an overall decline.



Obviously you aren't paying "attention" and yes, I can tell.
-NB

DeathLord
Exile
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:43 pm
Profession: Champion
Race: Human
Player Status: Spambot
Location: Marysville, OH
Contact:

Post by DeathLord » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:00 pm

Arindal will for sure not support english. it is part of the deal they made with DT. DT brings in more money by licensing the engine, but to keep the engine in another form from being competition which is not what they need more of they licensed it to other languages. so if Arindal ever offered english I am quite positive DT would say bye bye license and Arindal dies.

Connie Crete
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:46 am

Post by Connie Crete » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:18 pm

Nightbird wrote:Are you ok with the thought of fewer and fewer people to interact with in CL?




Umm, since befer I first noticed tha toutins o doom on tha ng, I been inneractin with lots o folks. I still inneracts with lots o folks, they jest be different folks.



Pepples says there be lots o ways ta play. I thinks it be safe ta say I plays a different game than tha doomsdayists.

Polanna
Exile
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:31 pm
Profession: Town Healer
Race: Concealed
Player Status: Spambot
Location: Somewhere between here and there.
Contact:

Post by Polanna » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:19 pm

I do understand the point about DT's business and our not working for them. Certainly, they should be the final aribters of what does and does not happen.



However, in the past, their policy (as far as new stuff goes, at any rate) has been: "If you want it, do it yourself."



I don't have the skills to do it, but I do know how to get it done. Whether DT takes my suggestion or not is up to them, but it could only be beneficial for them to have at least some of the burden taken from them in the form of research and contacts.



I wasn't saying that we had the right to dictate what they do - of course we don't - but DT and the GMs have always welcomed suggestions and ideas (even, at times, insisting on them), and this is something that has come up on the boards many times. It's obvious that a large part of the player base is interested in the idea, and I think it would be helpful to examine more practically what can and can't be done about it instead of just sitting around saying "Gee, it would be nice if..." I mean, wouldn't you, as a business owner or just someone interested in a project find it more helpful to be handed something saying "These are people with skill sets to complete your project; here is their contact information. The player base is willing to put up with this much of a cost increase in this manner, and this is how much the people have said they will charge?" Making a choice about whether to implement an idea is much easier if you have some of the basic stuff out of the way first.



As far as the argument that says that we shouldn't say what they should and should not do, I agree, but only to a point. What DT's overarching business plan is is important, yes, and not something they need to share with us. But we are their customers, and as long as they are providing a service we use, our ideas are valuable. They don't have to listen to us. But they've always asked us what we think, and what I think is that we need a Windows client. People are actually leaving because of the problems the current setup has, and I don't want to see that happen. Yes, people will always leave for one reason or another, but I would rather that people left who didn't want to play anymore, rather than those who want to and can't. And to be very honest, if it weren't for school, I would count myself among that number.



... so this is an issue that is very important to me. Whether or not I can or will continue to play the game hinges heavily on it, and I'd really like to know one way or the other.

Connie Crete
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:46 am

Post by Connie Crete » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:35 pm

Polanna wrote: DT and the GMs have always welcomed suggestions and ideas (even, at times, insisting on them), and this is something that has come up on the boards many times.




Would a Windows client be nice? yes. Priority? no.



But in addition ta that, throwin in tha 'wouldja pay muny for DT ta pay muny ta make it happen' be tha part that I has troubles with. Tha rest o my responses was clarifyin what Nightbird unnerstands me ta say.



In tha world o limited resources:



I thinks 6* healer tests will happen befer DT commissions a windows client.

User avatar
Ann
CL GM
CL GM
Posts: 581
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:45 pm
Location: Fairgrounds

Post by Ann » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:16 am

Curmudgeon wrote:As far as I understood, DT was only talking about the possibility that there might be a Windows Client at one time in the future, but the Windows client for Arindal is professionally worked on.




I fully expect that the client for either game will be usable in the other one. That is our hope and our intention. But it isn't a promise that the Windows client will work in Clan Lord, because as you say, Delta Tao isn't developing it. (On the other hand, we are developing (have developed) the server, which is what the client needs to talk to for both games, so it's hard to see how a client could work with one and not the other. I'm just trying not to promise something before I'm positive we can deliver it.)



Ann

Post Reply