Total votes: 15

Destian
Trainer
Profession: Healer/Slug Wrangler
Race: Human
Player Status: Spambot

Prime time slowdown: get rid of it?

Post by Destian » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:14 pm

Every day at 9 PM EST (6 PM PST, I believe) the primetime slowdown kicks in and gameplay slows to a near crawl.

The primetime slowdown, I believe, was intended to give the server more leeway during high-stress times of the day when upwards of 150 players could be playing at the same time.

However, we haven't seen player counts that high in a while. Our current primetime player count only rivals what used to be our off time player count (40-50 players).

So why do we still have the primetime slowdown? Unless there are network complications beyond simple player count, I don't understand why the choke needs to be put on every day at 6 PM, sharp...

-D
A video guide to healer pets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ejD_9X1io
"Solomon chuckles"

Michael
Trainer

Re: Prime time slowdown: get rid of it?

Post by Michael » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:25 pm

Destian wrote:Every day at 9 PM EST (6 PM PST, I believe) the primetime slowdown kicks in and gameplay slows to a near crawl.

The primetime slowdown, I believe, was intended to give the server more leeway during high-stress times of the day when upwards of 150 players could be playing at the same time.

However, we haven't seen player counts that high in a while. Our current primetime player count only rivals what used to be our off time player count (40-50 players).

So why do we still have the primetime slowdown? Unless there are network complications beyond simple player count, I don't understand why the choke needs to be put on every day at 6 PM, sharp...

-D

DTs bill for bandwidth is based (at least in part) on the usage between those hours. By cutting the framerate by 1/4, they cut the cost of hosting CL by 1/4.

I hate PT too, but if it cuts down the cost of CL and keeps it running, I can deal with it.

Destian
Trainer

Post by Destian » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:28 pm

I was under the impression that it was due to that being the highest traffic in terms of player count.

But, if it's going to be cutting costs, there's nothing which would change that...

-D
"Solomon chuckles"

Xel
Noble

Post by Xel » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:51 pm

Well, sure, we could probably change it if *every*one who pays for CL was willing to pay an extra 1/4 the cost for their accounts, but I think it's pretty safe to say that it wouldn't, even though I'm sure many of us would be willing to pay it.

-Xel
"Barrin taught me that the hardest lessons to grasp are the ones you've already learned."

mrfancypants
Exile

Post by mrfancypants » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:49 pm

Bandwidth contracts can be weird (deal with them @ work all the time, so I know). IIRC, in this case, their contract specifically says they're billed only for the usage from 6pm to 9pm PST (9 pm to 12pm EST), so to cut cost, they reduce bandwidth usage by 1/4th, thus reducing their cost by 1/4th, without affecting the cost/performance in other hours.

Now if they could get a better bandwidth deal, this wouldn't be a problem. :) That shouldn't be a problem at all if they're coloed in SJC.

Ann
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:12 am

We are, in fact, looking for a new co-lo host, preferably in the San Francisco Bay Area. We're fairly far along in the shopping, but if anyone has any specific recommendations, I'd be very glad to hear them.

Ann

Destian
Trainer

Post by Destian » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:40 am

We run our own colo facility (private T1 line) but the problem is that its in New England and no where near the SFB area.

Otherwise, I'm sure we could offer a whopping good deal...

-D
"Solomon chuckles"

Michael
Trainer

Post by Michael » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:59 am

Just make sure its meant for gaming, so its close to an internet backbone.

Haze
Exile

Post by Haze » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:11 pm

Ann wrote:We are, in fact, looking for a new co-lo host, preferably in the San Francisco Bay Area. We're fairly far along in the shopping, but if anyone has any specific recommendations, I'd be very glad to hear them.

Ann

Have you guys checked out Hurricane Electric's facility in Fremont? I'm not too farmiliar with their direct pricing, but they have dozens of resellers

mrfancypants
Exile

Post by mrfancypants » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:51 pm

Haze wrote:
Ann wrote:We are, in fact, looking for a new co-lo host, preferably in the San Francisco Bay Area. We're fairly far along in the shopping, but if anyone has any specific recommendations, I'd be very glad to hear them.

Ann

Have you guys checked out Hurricane Electric's facility in Fremont? I'm not too farmiliar with their direct pricing, but they have dozens of resellers

HE is good. I've always been impressed with their ping scores in the NY area.

I sent Ann some recommendations for ISPs in the bay area. I am curious how much bandwidth CL uses, both 95/5 and Average. It's about 7kbps per user, times about...what, 50 users average? so about 350kbps average. That's not bad at all.

Ann
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Ann » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:48 am

Haze wrote:Have you guys checked out Hurricane Electric's facility in Fremont? I'm not too farmiliar with their direct pricing, but they have dozens of resellers

Thanks for the suggestion. They're good, but expensive, compared to some other options we've found.

Ann

Michael
Trainer

Post by Michael » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:32 am

I wonder what would happen if PT went away. Right now PPT (post prime time) has become a meeting time for the late night rank whores to gather and start hunts. Even if PT itself goes away, I bet that Midnight EST is still the time that a lot of people log on looking for a hunt. Its been something we have done for so long.

Tigger
Violent Fens

Post by Tigger » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:18 pm

Michael wrote:I wonder what would happen if PT went away. Right now PPT (post prime time) has become a meeting time for the late night rank whores to gather and start hunts. Even if PT itself goes away, I bet that Midnight EST is still the time that a lot of people log on looking for a hunt. Its been something we have done for so long.
I suspect you'd see the number of people who show up from 6-9pm Pacific go up. Personally I know I avoid primetime hours on CL like the plague, at least for any sort of hunting. I could prolly count the number of times I've been seen there in the last year before 9pm on one paw. But having become so used to it, I dunno if it really matters that much. Keeps me doing more constructive things until later in the evening.
Proud member of Violent Fens, Thoomcare Affiliates, and Maximum Coinage!

xepel
Trainer
Profession: Bard
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active

Re: Prime time slowdown: get rid of it?

Post by xepel » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:47 pm

Remember when we went down to 3 FPS during prime time? Ick.

Now we not only get 4 FPS primetime, we get a little boost outside of primetime.

Close?
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"