Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive

Re: Abyss

Post by Skirwan » Wed May 26, 2010 7:24 am

Eirian wrote:
Skirwan wrote:I've always thought the final layer of the Abyss should be a chat room where you get massive XP for conversing with other players. Hell is other people, after all.
So crossing into that layer would take you to the Sentinel? ;)
I am almost entirely certain that I'm not getting any measurable benefit from being here.

This is my new motto.
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Fri May 28, 2010 11:04 am

But...in all seriousness...

I'm open to ideas for a new layer of the Abyss. My biggest requirement is that it has to be so hard that everyone fusses that it's unbeatable and must be downgraded or you'll never go there again.

Then, one year later, someone conquers it and we need a new layer. It's already happened. Search this board. :mrgreen:
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Nunul
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan
Profession: Dust Collector
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Post by Nunul » Fri May 28, 2010 11:21 am

Eldon wrote:But...in all seriousness...

I'm open to ideas for a new layer of the Abyss. My biggest requirement is that it has to be so hard that everyone fusses that it's unbeatable and must be downgraded or you'll never go there again.

Then, one year later, someone conquers it and we need a new layer. It's already happened. Search this board. :mrgreen:
In my mind, an abyss snell need not be complicated, just really abyssal. That said, make two: one that is uber hard and one that is incredihard as a soft ceiling to be accessible after the last is cleared.
BACON!

Garr
Exile

Post by Garr » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:16 pm

Eldon wrote:But...in all seriousness...

I'm quite surprised no one has commented on this yet, at least publically, so I decided I'll put my two cents in. I'd still personally like to see two new layers, but if you're set on only one, I'd still be grateful. I'm mostly going to add my perspective on what kind of mechanics I'd like to see inside as I've already given my opinion on specific monsters previously.

So what I'd like to see, is a slow down on the ground, kind of like how abyss 2 sped you up some and made it slippery, it'd be interesting to see how an effect of a permanent 75% or so movement rate would be. Making it so that creatures cannot really be outrun. And if you're looking to be extra nasty give 25%-50% of the monsters inside the stupidly annoying I'm going to run in front of you and get you trapped AI basically making the area un-runnable.

And I know I may live to regret this, but I'm going to go ahead and give specific details on how to make an area Garr-proof, and what I mean by this is that I will not be able to run into an area by myself, gather up all the monsters and use my Lava Cloak to kill the vast majority. This is not saying I won't still try, and still may be able to hold most things while the group lures them off of me, (But I'll give a couple ways of killing me during this process as well)

So there are 3 main ways I can think of to counteract the damage the lava cloak does. Feralers, Troiluser, and things with the Skeletal AI. I suggest all three of these types of monster be put into Abyss 3. I'll explain each type briefly and how it counteracts the cloak. Feralers essentially will stay in my vicinity, but will be constantly be circling and not be bumping into many monsters on fire. Troilusers are obvious. They heal back the health lost before the cloak gets a chance to kill them. And Those with the Skeletal AI will take very little damage from the cloak as they hardly move at all, and will only spread the initial burst of fire rather than to keep spreading it over time.

Next I'll explain the best ways of killing me while I am currently girdling. There are two main ways I can think of. First lots and lots of projectile damage, it all adds up and eventually takes it's toll. But this is preventable as I can remove and re-put on the girdle quickly and restart the process. What I would suggest is earthquakes. Not the kind that damage you because those are no fun for anyone, but just like the Sezuma Yorilla make. If these are happening frequently enough, (whether it be from a monster, or just an area effect) eventually one will happen during the time the the girdle expires and I will die, and then what usually happens is that everyone else dies too. So win for the Abyss. What I would like to see though if this were to happen, and actually would like to see in any case even if not in Abyss 3, would be some way to make it so that when completely surrounded by monsters during a quake to stay in the same place at the end of the quake rather than porting to the most recent entry point on the snell. I think I understand why it happens. (there's not enough room) But if there were some way to fix this I'd be greatly appreciative as it can be quite annoying.

-Garr
I still hate Erthor!

reckinyards
Noble
Profession: #&$@
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by reckinyards » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 am

I like the way abyss 3 was
11/2/09 7:02:10p Gustave says, "my fight is very vectorized"

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Daimoth » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:11 am

reckinyards wrote:I like the way abyss 3 was
Indeed, indeed.
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Stinkfist
Pirate Clan
Pirate Clan
Profession: Pirate King
Race: Sylvan

Post by Stinkfist » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:10 am

Daimoth wrote:
reckinyards wrote:I like the way abyss 3 was
Indeed, indeed.
indeed cubed