Have Fresh Off Boat Exiles Start With A Sunpebble

Moderator: CL GMs

Should "fresh off the boat" exiles get sunpebbles?

Yes!
79%
No! (Reasons why would be appreciated.)
No votes
Down with the system - sunstones for all!
17%
Better idea - reason below.
5%

Total votes: 42

Michael
Trainer

Re: Have Fresh Off Boat Exiles Start With A Sunpebble

Post by Michael » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:52 am

Gloria wrote:Catching up is an impossible goal...
No, its not. It simply takes far to long to do, and is something that needs to be fixed.

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Fogtripper » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:51 am

xepel wrote:This. Khural said what I've been trying to say to you. It's delusional to think that we're going to attract people by forcing them to struggle to just *listen* to the main form of communication in the lands.

Best of luck in convincing him, Khural. I tried but I stopped after I realized we were going in circles...
Bolded ridiculousness.

Best of luck even remotely attempting to understand Maeght's and my own POVs, as long as you are translating it into some epic "struggle" that we are "forcing" on the scared and trembling wisp of a player. You and Khural will accept nothing but immediate access. It's pointless even discussing anything that varies from that.

Fogtripper
Noble

Post by Fogtripper » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:55 am

Illora Mone wrote:At the very least I'd like the tower horns fixed to broadcast yells to tc again. That was highly useful, as long as the newbie knew to yell.
They no longer work?

Shadowfire
Noble
Profession: Champion
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Shadowfire » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:40 am

/yawn

Implement immediately or make mystics able to craft them for trivial amounts of coins. Exiles who have been around awhile will be glad to subsidize the costs to get FOTBs sunpebbles.

Fogtripper
Noble

Post by Fogtripper » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:18 pm

Shadowfire wrote:/yawn

Implement immediately or make mystics able to craft them for trivial amounts of coins. Exiles who have been around awhile will be glad to subsidize the costs to get FOTBs sunpebbles.
It is comforting, having someone around who is willing to speak for everyone.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Player Status: Active

Post by Daimoth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Fogtripper wrote:It is comforting, having someone around who is willing to speak for everyone.
On this issue, he is. Who would possibly disagree with it?
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Fogtripper
Noble

Post by Fogtripper » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:16 pm

Daimoth wrote:
Fogtripper wrote:It is comforting, having someone around who is willing to speak for everyone.
On this issue, he is. Who would possibly disagree with it?
Long time exiles who would rather not "subsidize" those who they deem should put in the slightest effort to get SPs themselves? Why bother having a price if the price has no meaning? (as the FOTBNs would not be paying)

edit: also nice that he is volunteering mystics to do them cheaply. Not that they wouldn't necessarily do them cheaply anyway, but don't you think that should be something the mystics decide on?

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer

Post by Lorikeet » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:03 pm

Oh geez. Give them the damn sunpebbles already. Why do we have to have pages and pages of discussion on every little thing? Almost nothing every gets changed anyway. Seems starting an exile with a sunpebble, which is what Agratis have to see how the game works, shouldn't really bend anyone's nose out of shape. If it does, you need to pay attention to the other things that will directly affect you and matter. Bah.

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling

Post by Maeght » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:39 pm

Since we don't really have a direct effect on development, we might as well spend our time griping how we'd like those resources used if we had our druthers.

Every one of these arguments ends up how different people waste their time. I'd rather waste our time which is virtually unlimited relative to the little GM time available for projects.

I want people to stop trying to put lipstick on a pig to make it look like something it's not. It's a fine pig. People pay to pet pigs all over the place. People make pets of pigs.

What makes Clan Lord fun is that it's a community. Have's and have nots, hard working ubers and lazy do-nothing town sitters. Break down all these barriers and little hurdles and the sense of having earned your way is gone.

It's not really about Sunpebbles. If the GMs implemented Sunpebbles tomorrow, I doubt there would be this huge uproar against it. It's about the constant pressure from players to give free stuff because people need to be bribed to continue (or start) to play.

Give free X. Everyone gets it and everyone wants it, so how could that be bad? What fool would argue against that?

Fogtripper
Noble

Post by Fogtripper » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:42 pm

Lorikeet wrote: Why do we have to have pages and pages of discussion on every little thing? Almost nothing every gets changed anyway.
The latter makes the former acceptable. Why do you care if things are discussed at length, seeing as they'd not change anyway.

Gremlins
Fenix Fire
Fenix Fire
Profession: Fallen
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by Gremlins » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:50 pm

Fogtripper wrote:
Lorikeet wrote: Why do we have to have pages and pages of discussion on every little thing? Almost nothing every gets changed anyway.
The latter makes the former acceptable. Why do you care if things are discussed at length, seeing as they'd not change anyway.
Interesting… Why do you ? You actually spend so much time in this thread… And to answer some of the other comments, yes I spent quite a bit of money buying sunthingy for newbies (and selling them at cost price for oldbies alts)… Just make the whole thing free… We want to capitalize on the social interactions of this game and refuse to newbies the ability to do so ? That's just hilarious… Maybe we need a server with just FogTripper and Maeght… Where there will be no free lib, and even getting out of the lib will cost ranks and coins…
Chum wrote:Do not attempt to apply logic to matters regarding Clan Lord; it'll just drive you nuts... ;)

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer

Post by Lorikeet » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:58 pm

To Fogtripper: My comment wasn't clear enough sorry. I meant so little gets done, it appeared that this was something that could be done, and since most are in favor (see poll) it made sense to do it.

To Maeght: It's precisely because of the community interaction that a sunpebble makes a lot of sense.

Maeght
Trainer

Post by Maeght » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:00 pm

Gremlins wrote:Where there will be no free lib, and even getting out of the lib will cost ranks and coins…
No, I don't support that. You are the one advocating a change to the basic game mechanics. I am supporting the game as it currently works. What is your next claim, by not giving them free Sunpebbles I'm stealing them from noobs?

What I do support is that the few hurdles at low level be left in the game, to be achieved either by hard work, or by social action. Both as designed into the game and as having worked for a decade.

Gremlins
Fenix Fire
Fenix Fire
Profession: Fallen
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by Gremlins » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Maeght wrote:or by social action.
Yeah… Thanks :)
Chum wrote:Do not attempt to apply logic to matters regarding Clan Lord; it'll just drive you nuts... ;)

Maeght
Trainer

Post by Maeght » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:03 pm

Lorikeet wrote: To Maeght: It's precisely because of the community interaction that a sunpebble makes a lot of sense.
How are sunpebbles interactive with the community? Maybe I'm missing something but I thought all they did was let you hear /thinks.