Restore sunstone prices to previous level

Moderator: CL GMs

Should sunstone prices be restored to the previous levels?

Yes
62%
No
12%
Maybe
No votes
Let's give this some more time
18%
Let's reduce the price some, but not back to the previous level
9%

Total votes: 34

Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Re: Restore sunstone prices to previous level

Post by Fundin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:40 am

12k, holy sh*t that is absolutely ridiculous, they should be 500c and no more. Must be some bug imo if not then it certainly needs to be readdressed.

I also agree with some of Mikes notes, SS should be free to all players, upgrades cost. I 100% with Mike in saying that restricting player communications with high prices doesn't help the game for newer players. At the very least give everyone those sunshard or whatever, the ones you can only listen with. Price of SS is way way too high atm though.
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:51 am

Raul wrote:
Michael wrote:Its time to remove SSes and make the ability to send messages and broadcasts an ability that everyone has. Think of it as a way of giving everyone +1 inventory space for very little work.
/signed
/signed

The key to community is communication. Sunstones are the support structure for the social fabric. Maeght's comment reminds me of a wellfare nation or the good old days when fob immigrants would be plied with a free meal and warm bead by those with ulterior motives.

Or just fix the price to not top 1k
This sig pic removed by Vagile

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:51 am

Raul wrote:
Michael wrote:Its time to remove SSes and make the ability to send messages and broadcasts an ability that everyone has. Think of it as a way of giving everyone +1 inventory space for very little work.
/signed
/signed

The key to community is communication. Sunstones are the support structure for the social fabric. Maeght's comment reminds me of a wellfare nation or the good old days when fob immigrants would be plied with a free meal and warm bed by those with ulterior motives.

Or just fix the price to not top 1k

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Fogtripper » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:03 am

Maeght wrote:The fact that the community provides fotb's a sunstone is a plus for the sunstone mechanic.
And a negative in regards to appreciation of the device by said fotbn.
(when it is not worked for)

Kalypso
Rising Claw
Rising Claw
Profession: Healer
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Kalypso » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:06 am

They were 700 when I started, and even that seemed insurmountable, as I had no skea and had all of 20 coins. Someone tossed me a thousand coins and I was flabbergasted. I agree with the thousand coin cap idea. A thousand to a FOTB is HUGE. I've still never seen 12k in my purse, at 3rd circle.
"Love" is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.--Robert A. Heinlein

Michael
Trainer

Post by Michael » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:47 am

Why anyone thinks its a good idea for new players to be isolated from the main community is beyond me.

xepel
Trainer
Profession: Bard

Post by xepel » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:47 am

Kalypso wrote:They were 700 when I started, and even that seemed insurmountable, as I had no skea and had all of 20 coins. Someone tossed me a thousand coins and I was flabbergasted. I agree with the thousand coin cap idea. A thousand to a FOTB is HUGE. I've still never seen 12k in my purse, at 3rd circle.
The point is that no one has to spend that much. If you go to a Mystic you can get them for a few hundred coins.
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"

Michael
Trainer

Post by Michael » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:09 am

xepel wrote: The point is that no one has to spend that much. If you go to a Mystic you can get them for a few hundred coins.
That brings me back to my point of why even have the NPCs then? Yes I heard the whole line about it being a just in case thing, but come fucking on that price is just idiotic by any measurement.

It also strikes me as a stupid idea to try and force new players to track down a small portion (as last I knew, only a few of the already rare mystics were able to tune stones) of a class that is hardly ever on.

Kalypso
Rising Claw
Rising Claw
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Kalypso » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:14 am

xepel wrote:The point is that no one has to spend that much. If you go to a Mystic you can get them for a few hundred coins.
I'm sure I either didn't know that, or couldn't find one, I can't remember which.
"Love" is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.--Robert A. Heinlein

Sielk
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Sielk » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:20 pm

Hello,

I think people are missing the point. The price of several items in the game are based on supply and demand. The more people who buy a Sunstone the higher the price. Because we have had in influx of people in the game with the new no monthly fees I am sure alts are being created and SS'es are being bought like crazy. The price will come back down as people stop buying so many. It is just part of the game. I am sure if we made an effort we could get SS to the people that need them without paying. I am sure people have them in storage.

-Sielk
Chum wrote:* Nothing in the game requires a mystic. Nothing.

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Race: Thoom

Post by Phroon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:32 pm

Sielk wrote:Hello,

I think people are missing the point. The price of several items in the game are based on supply and demand. The more people who buy a Sunstone the higher the price. Because we have had in influx of people in the game with the new no monthly fees I am sure alts are being created and SS'es are being bought like crazy. The price will come back down as people stop buying so many. It is just part of the game. I am sure if we made an effort we could get SS to the people that need them without paying. I am sure people have them in storage.

-Sielk
Supply and demand can only move a price so much. And definitely not to 10 times what people feel as fair.

Michael
Trainer

Post by Michael » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:03 pm

Sielk wrote:Hello,

-Sielk
SSes are pretty much required to play the game in any way that most people would consider normal, if its just demand thats driving the price up then we have discovered another issue that needs to be fixed.

I still stand by my statement that SSes are antiquated and serve no real purpose anymore, and should be replaced with the innate ability to message other players and broadcast.

Fogtripper
Noble

Post by Fogtripper » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:37 am

Michael wrote:Why anyone thinks its a good idea for new players to be isolated from the main community is beyond me.
There is something to be said for growth of appreciation. In the low-magic world of CL, a SS is a HUGELY powerful tool.

1K is really not a huge number. I am not saying a FOTBN would be able to solo-farm 1k, but I do know that (this being a social game) anything to foster playing as a group should be left in the game. Working to raise coins for your first SS is a fantastic way to teach a new player to rely on others for help (read: not a donation of coins out of pity) and to hunt as teams/groups.

Perhaps a carrot on a stick approach might be a good middle ground?
Less powerful sunstone shards for way cheaper, that could be upgraded over time, adding functionality?

Fogtripper
Noble

Post by Fogtripper » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:40 am

Michael wrote:
xepel wrote: The point is that no one has to spend that much. If you go to a Mystic you can get them for a few hundred coins.
That brings me back to my point of why even have the NPCs then? Yes I heard the whole line about it being a just in case thing, but come fucking on that price is just idiotic by any measurement.
That argument is convenient when speaking of things like healing fountains and alternate ways to get past illusions. Why is it unworthy as a reason for access to SSs?

Believe me, I would wager quite a few mystics would prefer there was no alternate to the skill of creating/tuning sunstones. Hell, maybe this is a cattle-prod to get some out of the lib to make some coin. :wink:

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:09 am

Supply & Demand are all fine & dandy, but it's out of control. The price only drops on chaos storms, not through proper adherance to economic theory.

If the price bumps without a sale being made, that's a bug.