22%
Bad ideas.
67%

Total votes: 9

Fafnir
Exile

Re: Alternative Payment Plans

Post by Fafnir » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:33 pm

May I suggest you write a page on your clan site with public access where you explain all the efforts you have to do to provide this open hunt.

That a hunt like DTN is only for übers is logic but why most others are closed, sometime to the point of absurd.

Torin
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Champion
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Post by Torin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 pm

How to organize a weekly Open Hunt

1. Pick a good time, when a lot of people are usually around. Check the Clan Lord Calendar to make sure you aren't overlapping with another scheduled activity. Maybe ask around too.

2. Publicize your chosen time. Use the Sentinel, Koppi, word of mouth, sunstone, etc. A few minutes before the Open Hunt begins, send out a /status announcement and a sunstone message.

3. Be more or less democratic, in an informal way. In other words, you may not necessarily take a vote on everything (usually a bad idea), but definitely listen to what people are saying about what they like and dislike. However, don't take too long to make a decision about where the hunt will be. People don't like waiting around for more than a few minutes.

4. Ask someone to call directions for that particular hunt, and tell everyone who it is. As organizer, you may have to answer questions over SS and help latecomers catch up, so it's easier to have someone else take care of the tactical aspects of leading.

5. Make the hunt a regular and reliable event. Show up every week without fail. Try to get a few others to make the commitment to attend every week. If you know ahead of time that you can't make a particular day, get someone else to take over as organizer for that hunt.

6. Even if the turnout is smaller than you would like, do something.

Fafnir
Exile

Post by Fafnir » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:02 am

good start but why you don't place that on your site, why there is only one per week at the moment and a FAQ of troubles and way to solve it in particular when you are rather weak and don't have backup?

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Fogtripper » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:21 am

NewMan wrote:It has come to my attention that...

...that there are other threads on this very subject with a ton of opinion, examples and backstory that need not be left for dead.

Sometimes I'd dearly like it if these forums were more like somethingawful.com

Torin
Profession: Champion
Race: Dwarf

Post by Torin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:04 am

Fafnir wrote:good start but why you don't place that on your site, why there is only one per week at the moment and a FAQ of troubles and way to solve it in particular when you are rather weak and don't have backup?
Fafnir, I have given you plenty already. If you want something to happen, go for it. What have you got to lose?

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:08 am

Torin wrote:
Fafnir wrote:good start but why you don't place that on your site, why there is only one per week at the moment and a FAQ of troubles and way to solve it in particular when you are rather weak and don't have backup?
Fafnir, I have given you plenty already. If you want something to happen, go for it. What have you got to lose?
Seriously. I know Faf has English issues, but it really does sound like he's dumping on Torin for building community.

Step 1 - Announce your intentions to hunt.
Step 2 - Regardless of who shows up, go somewhere and do something.
Step 3 - Get blasted for not doing enough by people who don't do anything.
:twisted:
This sig pic removed by Vagile

Yor
Exile

Post by Yor » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:46 am

Torin wrote:How to organize a weekly Open Hunt

1. Pick a good time, when a lot of people are usually around. Check the Clan Lord Calendar to make sure you aren't overlapping with another scheduled activity. Maybe ask around too.

2. Publicize your chosen time. Use the Sentinel, Koppi, word of mouth, sunstone, etc. A few minutes before the Open Hunt begins, send out a /status announcement and a sunstone message.

3. Be more or less democratic, in an informal way. In other words, you may not necessarily take a vote on everything (usually a bad idea), but definitely listen to what people are saying about what they like and dislike. However, don't take too long to make a decision about where the hunt will be. People don't like waiting around for more than a few minutes.

4. Ask someone to call directions for that particular hunt, and tell everyone who it is. As organizer, you may have to answer questions over SS and help latecomers catch up, so it's easier to have someone else take care of the tactical aspects of leading.

5. Make the hunt a regular and reliable event. Show up every week without fail. Try to get a few others to make the commitment to attend every week. If you know ahead of time that you can't make a particular day, get someone else to take over as organizer for that hunt.

6. Even if the turnout is smaller than you would like, do something.
Torin really does seem to have a good grip on this. I will especially emphasize showing up all the time. Lots of groups have come and gone because their initiator lost enthusiasm after a few weeks or a few months and stopped showing up. If the initiator starts to lose enthusiasm for the group he or she has created they need to officially announce the end and leave it at that, rather than let the group run on fumes and die a slow and painful death.

One other thing I will add is it's probably a good idea to let people know what, if any, risk is involved with the destination that has been decided upon. Some people tend to get real pissy when they have to depart. :D

Yor
Trillbane skims “The Tao of Trillbane” finding nothing he doesn't already know.

noivad
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan

Post by noivad » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:07 pm

Fafnir it's really easy to start a group. All you gotta do is tell your friends, and if they want to invite their friends, the more the merrier. I myself would do a weekly group if I thought people would want to hunt with my sort of style, and if I had the time every week, which I don't.

You don't have to go anyplace super exciting at first to shake down the groups capabilities, and get used to working together. I would encourage eve close informal groups to plot a time on the events calendar, so those interested could show up and apply for membership.

Currently, there's a PTF remnants group on Mondays around 11ish, thats unofficial. There's a PAG time slot group sometimes as well (at least I show up for it). Saturday there's Purple Haze, it's a closed group but we take along guests all the time, and I've yet to see anyone turned away unless they're like 1st circle -- and even then.

Falinea's Blade is still active I believe, as are several other groups.

Point is, there's a lot of group hunt opportunities you jut have to plug into the pulse of Puddleby to find them.
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling

Post by Maeght » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:18 pm

noivad wrote: Point is, there's a lot of group hunt opportunities you jut have to plug into the pulse of Puddleby to find them.
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who tries harder. He's still dealing with differing current levels, frequencies, and the adapter is flakey. :-)

And I don't think anybody has figured out a way to concisely describe how to have a successful outing, especially when some are considered successful with a mass depart.

- Maeght

noivad
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan

Post by noivad » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Maeght wrote:
noivad wrote: Point is, there's a lot of group hunt opportunities you jut have to plug into the pulse of Puddleby to find them.
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who tries harder. He's still dealing with differing current levels, frequencies, and the adapter is flakey. :-)
- Maeght
Even Punny is groaning at that one.
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

Cammie
Exile
Profession: wife/mom/ranger
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Cammie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:56 pm

Organizing a hunt isn't hard; organizing a hunt with a small population and huge experience gap among exiles is. The Open Hunt works because with the large turnout, lower levels can work within the group if they're at all smart about it.

There used to be a semi-regular mid-level hunt. I don't know how much interest there would be in that anymore, but I for one would be in.
Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling

Post by Maeght » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:02 pm

noivad wrote:
Maeght wrote:
- Maeght
Even Punny is groaning at that one.
There is no greater praise!

:-)