Free Month of Clanlord to see the new awesome stuff!

Moderator: CL GMs

Free Month to Old Accounts?

Yes, there are a lot of people i'd like to see again!
57%
Maybe, there are a lot of people I WOULDN'T like to see again!
14%
No, they left and can just as easily return if they really want to.
29%

Total votes: 14

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive

Re: Free Month of Clanlord to see the new awesome stuff!

Post by Skirwan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:36 pm

Turalyon[DaTz] wrote:I guess I forget what it is a like to post suggestions at the Sentinel.
I'm not criticizing you for a suggestion, I'm criticizing you for deciding on the basis of absolutely zero knowledge that something you don't have the faintest idea how to do is easy.
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:45 pm

I don't know how the gift voucher is related at all to this thread. If you want to give someone a "gift" you can send them some money via paypal, and they can use it to buy something.

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling

Post by Maeght » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:48 pm

Lorikeet wrote:I don't know how the gift voucher is related at all to this thread. If you want to give someone a "gift" you can send them some money via paypal, and they can use it to buy something.
DT could issue a code that would give accounts that met the right conditions a free month if used.

- Maeght

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Lorikeet » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:01 am

Maeght wrote:
Lorikeet wrote:I don't know how the gift voucher is related at all to this thread. If you want to give someone a "gift" you can send them some money via paypal, and they can use it to buy something.
DT could issue a code that would give accounts that met the right conditions a free month if used.

- Maeght
Considering all the problems I had when I was trying to use the "gift" I wonder if the code would work ;)

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:22 am

Lorikeet wrote:Considering all the problems I had when I was trying to use the "gift" I wonder if the code would work ;)
Hey now...I got it working eventually! :)

For others: I implemented the gift voucher code some time ago. It was tested and everything. Then, when I was working on other stuff, I disabled it so as not to have to troubleshoot two different parts of the code. Of course, when I was done with the first thing, I sorta forgot to turn vouchers back on. :oops:

Lorikeet worked diligently with me to get it working again. It's now working okay.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Icy
Noble
Profession: All
Race: Dwarf

Post by Icy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:37 am

Eldon can I recruit you for WoW so I can get a zebra mount?
3/3/15 9:27:45a Icy has fallen to a Rat.

Torin
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Champion

Post by Torin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:35 am

The gift voucher system does seem related. It allows people who have received a voucher to create an account and start playing without paying any money because someone else paid. That someone else could be DT, giving away a free month of play as a promotional demo. You sign up, agree to the TOS, confirm your email address, and you get a voucher code. Am I missing something?

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Skirwan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:03 am

Torin wrote:You sign up, agree to the TOS, confirm your email address, and you get a voucher code. Am I missing something?
I can confirm an infinite number of email addresses, so that sounds great for me. I'll sell you a dollar's worth of vouchers for fifty cents.
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:00 am

Skirwan wrote:
Torin wrote:You sign up, agree to the TOS, confirm your email address, and you get a voucher code. Am I missing something?
I can confirm an infinite number of email addresses, so that sounds great for me. I'll sell you a dollar's worth of vouchers for fifty cents.
I anticipate Legolas0001, Legolas0002, Legolas0003... heh.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Skirwan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:46 am

Eldon wrote:
Skirwan wrote:
I anticipate Legolas0001, Legolas0002, Legolas0003... heh.
I was actually thinking Skyrwan, Skaerwin, Scurwyn, Ckirwan... Legion of Skirwans ftw!

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:39 am

It would be awesome if CL had that problem. As it stands, the problem CL has is in the opposite direction.
This sig pic removed by Vagile

Torin
Profession: Champion

Post by Torin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:02 pm

Skirwan, so how do you have a demo system without a credit card and which isn't as lame as Agratis? Is it really the case that this is some unique problem in the history of the universe, which requires years to solve? Don't other games have free-to-play demos without a CC?

mrfancypants
Exile

Post by mrfancypants » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:39 pm

Torin wrote:Skirwan, so how do you have a demo system without a credit card and which isn't as lame as Agratis? Is it really the case that this is some unique problem in the history of the universe, which requires years to solve? Don't other games have free-to-play demos without a CC?
Single player games often (although less often lately) have free-to-play demos without a credit card. Some multiplayer games have free-to-play demos w/o CC (Enemy Territory: Quake Wars was one I tried recently, for example). Rarely do persistent world games have free-to-play demos, because of the potential for abuse.

Several years ago, when I tried out some of the other MMOGs out there, the majority of them required a credit card #, although they didn't charge unless you kept playing past your free demo stage.

IMO, the way to implement this is:

0) Make a creating a new account free with purchase of your first month of gameplay (if you don't want to try the demo for some reason).
1) Keep the Agratis system in place for "I just want to see what this game looks like" types. And "I don't want to give my credit card to anyone unless I'm really buying something" types.
2) Add new demo system that costs $0, but requires a credit card to complete activation.
a) Keep a log of "seen" credit cards on the billing system database (encrypted, of course. :)). If a credit card that's entered matches an existing one in that list, don't allow them to order the demo account.
b) Validates the CC#, makes sure it's a real credit card. If it's not, don't allow them to order a demo account.
c) It creates a new account, creates a single character slot.
d) Sets the expiration date on the account to one month and a day from today.
e) Turns autobilling to NO by default (so the CC # is not accidentally billed for more time if they quit after a day)
f) Activates the account. :)

Basically, let people download the client and poke around in it for free without any worries about credit cards being stolen or whatnot. Give new accounts with one month away for free to unique people. Best effort on unique people; nothing is perfect, this only reduces the # of new accounts you can get to the # of valid credit cards you can get your hands on (which is hopefully less than 5-10).

Turalyon[DaTz]
Noble
Profession: Ranger

Post by Turalyon[DaTz] » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:33 pm

Maeght wrote:

- Maeght
That's what my idea was, I'm glad someone picked it up.

I don't know how to confirm, but every game I've ever touched online requires a CC so CL wouldn't be breaking any norms doing that.

Good suggestions mrfancypants... that's pretty much what I was hoping for.

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Skirwan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:11 pm

Torin wrote:Skirwan, so how do you have a demo system without a credit card and which isn't as lame as Agratis? Is it really the case that this is some unique problem in the history of the universe, which requires years to solve? Don't other games have free-to-play demos without a CC?
Does it require years to solve? No, coming up with a good-enough approach is relatively easy, provided you stop and think through things. But if you look MrFP's outline (which is roughly how I'd do it, personally) you're looking at a good chunk of new code, all of which will need to be designed, written, and tested very thoroughly.

It's not that it's a new problem, nor that it's a new solution, it's that it's a long road from the high level "here's what I want it to do" to the "here's how it's going to work" to the "it's done, let's test it" to "okay, I'll trust it with my credit card number now".