Alternate Route into Town from Ocean

Moderator: CL GMs

Should there be another way to land on Puddlby Island?

Yes
91%
No
9%
I don't care
No votes

Total votes: 23

xepel
Trainer
Profession: Bard
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active

Re: Alternate Route into Town from Ocean

Post by xepel » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:29 pm

Taryn wrote:The reason why people want to go to town when they are finished hunting is to go to the library (or equivalent), right?

If that's the case, it would be sufficient to have another library (or equivalent) on another island. We should have a backup settlement elsewhere anyways, in as much as we're being driven off of Puddleby ....

And remember, there are many safe places to stop clanning outside of town. You just don't get lib-exp in most of them.
Yes, people need their library. Simply a "safe place to stop clanning" is pretty much equal to a depart (since you'll be "losing" experience by not getting to a library).

And people will still complain if the libraries are not equivalent to all the libraries in town (especially the highest-level one). That's why no one stays in any of the other libraries in the lands (else people would just sleep in Umbrion's and go out to hunt KI whenever they want, heh!).

The solution would be to do as I suggested in a different thread: Put libraries on Thieves Island, make it a seedy town-like area, and charge 1.25-1.5x the cost (because it's hard to keep stocked up, the puddlebean librarians are catching on to them stealing books!). That way people don't even have to go to town if they want, plus it's a nice RP-y area.

But yes, there should still be another way on the island regardless.
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Daimoth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:24 pm

xepel wrote:The solution would be to do as I suggested in a different thread: Put libraries on Thieves Island, make it a seedy town-like area, and charge 1.25-1.5x the cost (because it's hard to keep stocked up, the puddlebean librarians are catching on to them stealing books!). That way people don't even have to go to town if they want, plus it's a nice RP-y area.
Well there IS a library on Thieves, but it totally sucks.
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

xepel
Trainer
Profession: Bard

Post by xepel » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:26 pm

Daimoth wrote:
xepel wrote:The solution would be to do as I suggested in a different thread: Put libraries on Thieves Island, make it a seedy town-like area, and charge 1.25-1.5x the cost (because it's hard to keep stocked up, the puddlebean librarians are catching on to them stealing books!). That way people don't even have to go to town if they want, plus it's a nice RP-y area.
Well there IS a library on Thieves, but it totally sucks.
Ah, right. I forgot about that one. But yeah, no one would want to go there anyway - have to at least have the top-tier libraries if people are going to stop there instead of going to town.
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"

Illora Mone
Snow Lemming
Profession: Healer
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Illora Mone » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:08 pm

There's a library on Thieves?

As a backup town, Thieves is already halfway there with the altar you can tune yourself to. I wouldn't mind getting an altar down in the outpost by the mirror, with perhaps a dock at the beach there, but I understand many like to fight on Thieves.
Normal is just a stereotype.

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether

Post by Fogtripper » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:47 am

Illora Mone wrote:There's a library on Thieves?

As a backup town, Thieves is already halfway there with the altar you can tune yourself to. I wouldn't mind getting an altar down in the outpost by the mirror, with perhaps a dock at the beach there, but I understand many like to fight on Thieves.
Altar at south outpost would make sense. Seeing as the NPCs took donations for quite a while to get one there. By the by, is this a dead end?

shiner
Exile
Profession: I hit things
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by shiner » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:59 am

Brune wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of north coast (fringe), south coast (dunes), or east coast (past the passes).

But a closer dock works too.

I wonder what Pengy has in mind...
I think east coast would be out past the orga stronghold and whatever else is out that way. I hope that is NOT what pengy is thinking.

Drablak
Exile
Profession: Mystic
Race: Thoom

Post by Drablak » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:36 am

There is what looks like a boat landing already set-up on north beach (officially "near the north beach"), that would be a good place for an alternate landing place.

Or give a Heartstone to everyone ;)

D.
Cinnamon wrote:The actual concept of an overpowered Mystic registers as an oxymoron.

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether

Post by Fogtripper » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:08 pm

Drablak wrote:There is what looks like a boat landing already set-up on north beach (officially "near the north beach"), that would be a good place for an alternate landing place.

Or give a Heartstone to everyone ;)

D.
Or perhaps we could take the river upstream from the northern west coast, through the caves. Been a while since I slummed in there. They connect to the bear caves yes? There are entry/exit points there in a couple places.

Taryn
Exile

Post by Taryn » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:34 pm

Lorikeet wrote:
Taryn wrote:The reason why people want to go to town when they are finished hunting is to go to the library (or equivalent), right?

If that's the case, it would be sufficient to have another library (or equivalent) on another island. We should have a backup settlement elsewhere anyways, in as much as we're being driven off of Puddleby ....

And remember, there are many safe places to stop clanning outside of town. You just don't get lib-exp in most of them.

Taryn.
You missed the point. Some people may want to go to the library, but other people want to participate. Of course there are safe places to stop clanning. And yes, they have no experience. Why should people be penalized for their timing on a hunt? If there's a two- or three-hour monumental battle taking place why can't there be another way for people to join?
Massive invasions which take over town generally result in some people who exit the library (or their house) without knowing what's going on, fall, and are stuck with the option of waiting forever for town to be cleared or departing so they can participate. If *your* point is participation, and you're off-island with a strong group, you can advantageously arrange off-island for an assault on the west beach. At worst, you have the same option of departing like they do.

I have always hated invasions of town because it particularly victimizes those caught unaware, especially those new to the game. Having an alternative landing into town doesn't fix that problem.

Town invasions penalize many people in different ways. I don't feel that those who are hunting off-island are penalized unfairly compared to those who are not.

I'm basically opposed to any suggestion which encourages GMs to have more town invasions than they already do.

Taryn.

Kerrah
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Champion
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Kerrah » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Thanks for putting in a new Puddleby entry so quickly, Pengy. Much appreciated, and it'll help a lot with future invasions.