Moderator: CL GMs

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

EP Idea List.

Post by Daimoth » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:54 pm

Earlier today Pengy was nice enough to ask to start a thread calling for ideas and opinions for changing the Ethereal Plane.

For me personally, it's about the feeling of progress (or lackthereof.). And I mean that in more than just one way. Yes, there's always the experience-related issue, but there's also the fact that often times it can take an hour or two to clear one tough snell. In fact, many times you never end up clearing that snell, because it's just THAT bad. That makes you feel as though you are wasting your time, a rather unpleasant feeling.

So anyway, ... my personal idea list,...

• Greater Death spawns should be "rare" and only occur in singles. Twin, triplet and quadruplet spawns of them are impossible 99% of the time, even if you have a bloodblader. And if they're beyond an unlurable snell boundary, such as the sphere crossing borders, they're literally impossible 100% of the time. EP is not a controlled environment, like the Dark Temple. Comparing group killings of GDs there to them in EP isn't realistic.

• Ethereal Wurm exp should be increased... I've ran into a bunch of them a few times and not only did they force the group to retreat one time and almost killed them the other, they were all "slaughters" for Kerrah and I. This was several months ago. While their burst damage isn't all that high, the fact that they're fast, can hit almost anyone in the game, can brick most people and swing consistently means they're a very very real, hard to deal with threat no matter who you are.

• I think ethereal exp could be increased marginally across the board. While there are some exceptions, like Abyssal Hunters and Frozen Abyssal Hunters, these are few and far between to satisfy the thirsts of older players, who are usually instrumental in EP runs. We also have to keep in mind that unlike with most areas you can't lure one thing at a time in EP. Which means that the difficulty to kill things is much higher. So ideally the exp would reflect this.

• If the sphere "border" snells could be less dangerous than the non border snells, this would help a lot. The nonlurability of these snells more often than not means that hunts/trips end there also.

Anyway, that's *probably* pretty close to my ideal list. There are most likely a couple more things I could mention but they're more nitpicky.
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Re: EP Idea List.

Post by Daimoth » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:04 pm

Please post what things you think would make the new Ethereal Plane a better place.

Hoggle
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf

Post by Hoggle » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:21 pm

It would be cool if there was some kind of large event that resulted in ether being crystalized in EP. Not everywhere. Some places would have these ethereal crystaline structures that you could use to some strategic benefit by running stuff around or what have you.

One of my main gripes about EP is that it looks so boring.. crystals could make it look much more interesting.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:38 pm

Hoggle wrote:It would be cool if there was some kind of large event that resulted in ether being crystalized in EP. Not everywhere. Some places would have these ethereal crystaline structures that you could use to some strategic benefit by running stuff around or what have you.

One of my main gripes about EP is that it looks so boring.. crystals could make it look much more interesting.
I really like this idea, especially if every sphere had some crystalized snells and some barren. That way you can plot your course based on your party's composition and your goal.

Maybe you're just hunting/looking for morphs/have a tiny group, so you want to use the heavily crystalized snells to limit what you get and take it slow.. but stuff's still bolting from behind the crystals so you'd want to set up a rod point for that!

Perhaps other times if you have a big group or mob you'd want to run through as quickly as possible, and not be hindered by the crystals.

noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan

Post by noivad » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:45 pm

I'd give the EP a visual facelift. That texture is so boring. I think if there was an artist that could remake something I'd choose EP. Even if it was just tinting the different sphere slightly different shades (though that'd help navigation too much...) No instead I'd put in more interesting patterns and maybe some space modulators (like crystals, yeah!) Call it a side effect of "amateurs balancing the planes precariously."

I'd also up the EXP on the ethereal creatures a bit. Dai's right about the wurms. They're tough as hell to kill and a big danger to weakened parties since they usually come in large numbers. Dispatches for all please.

In fact I think some creatures should never be slaughterable, especially the pack creatures, and ethereal wurms are one of them.
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

Pengy
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Pengy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:02 pm

Hoggle wrote:crystals could make it look much more interesting.
If someone draws the art and gets it to me by the end of this weekend... PM me to discuss details.

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Profession: Healer
Race: Thoom

Post by Phroon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:08 pm

Daimoth wrote:• Greater Death spawns should be "rare" and only occur in singles. Twin, triplet and quadruplet spawns of them are impossible 99% of the time, even if you have a bloodblader. And if they're beyond an unlurable snell boundary, such as the sphere crossing borders, they're literally impossible 100% of the time. EP is not a controlled environment, like the Dark Temple. Comparing group killings of GDs there to them in EP isn't realistic.
I think that the GDs are the most story related change to EP lately...

I doubt that complaining about them will make any difference.

(Now, if there was some creature between a Liche and a GD... that would be a good change while keeping the story the same. GD are a tad bit hard to take in packs of 13. :D )

xepel
Trainer
Profession: Bard

Post by xepel » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:23 pm

Phroon wrote:(Now, if there was some creature between a Liche and a GD... that would be a good change while keeping the story the same. GD are a tad bit hard to take in packs of 13. :D )
Yes, clearly we need Lesser Deaths, which will be ironically 10x harder. ;)

I also like the more exp for ether wurms (as they kill my weak character pretty handily, and he slaughters half of them... makes no sense at all) and definitely more "visuals."

To add on with "visuals", it would be neat to have things that mystics can see to get an idea of the location of the snell (without having to use an amulet to get a reading) or at least visuals on the "boarder" snells to show where the crossings are to other spheres.
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"

noivad
Profession: Fighter

Post by noivad » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:05 pm

Pengy wrote:
If someone draws the art and gets it to me by the end of this weekend... PM me to discuss details.
Quick wake up someone with talent! Hoggle?
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Fogtripper » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:50 am

Pengy wrote:
Aren't there landscape features and such that are along the lines of crystals in game now? Are you talking big honking crystals jutting out of the ground, or ice/snow like crystals?

------------------------------------

I do agree that the place needs a serious facelift. It is barely a step above purgatory looks-wise.

XP aside, if a GM put in the thought and planning to design the issues to be solve-able other than hack/slash clearing of snells, then I would leave it as is "answer-wise". No doubt it is much easier for a GM to create a place simply as a hunting ground,, but when they put more thought into it, then that effort should not be trivialized.

Kalypso
Rising Claw
Rising Claw
Profession: Healer
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Kalypso » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:43 am

xepel wrote:
Phroon wrote:(Now, if there was some creature between a Liche and a GD... that would be a good change while keeping the story the same. GD are a tad bit hard to take in packs of 13. :D )
Yes, clearly we need Lesser Deaths...

They should be called Little Deaths, and make an explosion sound upon dying.
"Love" is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.--Robert A. Heinlein

Merlisk
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Merlisk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:27 am

Kalypso wrote:They should be called Little Deaths, and make an explosion sound upon dying.
I can see it now...

* You have killed a La Petite Mort. yes...Yes...YEs...YES!...(splat)
Merlisk
Thoom Healer/Dentist
Sun Dragon Clan

Rakshasa
Exile
Profession: Ranger

Post by Rakshasa » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:12 pm

Pengy wrote:
OK, working on some crystals right now. Now to get them done on time :P