EP Keys

Moderator: CL GMs

Yor
Exile

Re: EP Keys

Post by Yor » Thu May 15, 2008 10:37 am

I've been in possession of one of these keys for quite some time. The key was originally Valtrim's I believe. I've loaned out periodically, including usually when I knew I wouldn't be playing much. I haven't been playing much of all lately so the key is currently being used by somebody else.

I don't know the status of all the other keys though. But I do think it's possible that a few of them may have been unfortunately swallowed up by the library.

Yor
Trillbane skims “The Tao of Trillbane” finding nothing he doesn't already know.

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Thu May 15, 2008 10:41 am

Gil-Galad wrote:
Salandra wrote:Garr, I understand what you mean and it would be too hard for players to monitor this. I was meaning that GMs would monitor keys and issue "replacement" keys if needed.
That is way too big of a project for the GMs to monitor
Then they shouldn't create finite resources like this.
and then when someone got their key taken away they would bitch and complain(I know I would).
Yeah I understand that. I would be too.
The better option is to make more keys available.
Doesn't quite solve the problem. Just perpetuates the circle of futility.
This sig pic removed by Vagile

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Profession: Healer
Race: Thoom
Player Status: Active

Post by Phroon » Thu May 15, 2008 11:17 am

Fogtripper wrote:Insofar as the storyline is concerned, were the individuals given the keys for their own specific use, or were they entrusted with the keys to be gatekeepers for whoever wanted access? If the latter, then it is rather a weak argument to not make keys less rare. If the former, then posting a list expecting keyholders to act as gatekeepers kind of defeats the for-individual-use aspect of the storyline.
It'd be a player made list. Fuck the storyline, making the keys more available defeats the need for GMs to make more keys. We can fix the problem ourselves.

Michael
Trainer

Post by Michael » Thu May 15, 2008 11:37 am

Yor wrote:I've been in possession of one of these keys for quite some time. The key was originally Valtrim's I believe. I've loaned out periodically, including usually when I knew I wouldn't be playing much. I haven't been playing much of all lately so the key is currently being used by somebody else.

I don't know the status of all the other keys though. But I do think it's possible that a few of them may have been unfortunately swallowed up by the library.

Yor
You (and Valtrim) are not fuck camels. Most mystics are, and mystics are the ones that got the keys for some fucking stupid reason. I guess the "bring the fucking doorman class or you cant go, we are to lazy to make them useful" aspect of the game was just not getting shoved far enough up our asses at the time, even though you could see it by looking into any players mouth.

Giving the keys to people like Yor in the first place would have been a far better, but still horribly flawed, way of doing this.

Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf

Post by Fundin » Fri May 16, 2008 4:16 am

I don't see why it should be hidden who has the keys anyway, there should be an NPC that tells you who has teh keys as they were given for the whole of puddleby and the people given them were entrusted to share and use them (as most do).

I imagine at least 1 or 2 have gone forever with deleted characters or dead accounts so allowing us to find the missing one or adding a few more makes a whole lotta sense to me.
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Fri May 16, 2008 10:13 am

Fundin wrote:...the people given them were entrusted to share and use them...
I'm not sure this is correct from a Brion perspective, but I could be wrong.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Fri May 16, 2008 10:23 am

Eldon wrote:
How about from a GM & community oriented game perspective? Oh there I go again, more interested in what's good for the game than I am about NPCs. Pretty sure they were entrusted to share and use them by the playing/paying community that assisted the owners in getting the keys.

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™

Post by Phroon » Fri May 16, 2008 11:28 am

Cinnamon wrote:
Eldon wrote:
How about from a GM & community oriented game perspective? Oh there I go again, more interested in what's good for the game than I am about NPCs. Pretty sure they were entrusted to share and use them by the playing/paying community that assisted the owners in getting the keys.
The story line, as I see it, is that the Mystics were entrusted with the keys to regulate the passage of exiles into the Ethereal Plane in order to lessen damage from people that would abuse the Ethereal Plane. These Mystics could also, by proxy, control who got to make ethereal items at the forge.

However, these Mystics have all left the lands and handed the keys down to others, allowing exiles to abuse the Ethereal Plane to an extend such that we almost caused a planar collision.

But since that's all water under the bridge, I'm all for people using PI more often. Just please don't abuse it too much.

Helios
Exile
Profession: Journeyman Mystic
Race: Halfling

Post by Helios » Fri May 16, 2008 11:29 am

Even while I would very much like to have my own Portal Island Key, I would I would... I don't see this as something stopping people from entering/using/exploring the Ethereal Plane.

Just like the backdoor on Melabrion's Island, there are ways around to get to the same area without a key. Like other EP entrances, it may take a little more effort, a few extra snells and a bit of added danger... that's the breaks. Were access to those areas limited to ONLY folks who had keys... that'd be awful, it would it would!

I'd have to say that of a majority of my trips into EP, only about 10% of them have been through portal island.

So even though I don't have a key, I think it does bring a unique aspect to the game - if only seeing everyone who doesn't have one blow up with envy. :P :D

(On a side note: I'm more than willing to coordinate/lead trips through EP to the forge, annulus or elsewhere. Feel free to contact me here, via ICQ, or in game.) </shameless plug> :D
Wangah Rah says, "Granted, hand in hand with that, is this advice:"
Wangah Rah says, "Don't be a fool."

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Fri May 16, 2008 11:46 am

Phroon wrote: The story line, as I see it, is that the Mystics were entrusted with the keys to regulate the passage of exiles into the Ethereal Plane in order to lessen damage from people that would abuse the Ethereal Plane. These Mystics could also, by proxy, control who got to make ethereal items at the forge.

However, these Mystics have all left the lands and handed the keys down to others, allowing exiles to abuse the Ethereal Plane to an extend such that we almost caused a planar collision.

But since that's all water under the bridge, I'm all for people using PI more often. Just please don't abuse it too much.
Right, now I remember. Mystics can't be trusted. :twisted:

I think the problem is that nobody can account for all the keys, not even the GMs. There aren't as many keys left in the lands as were issued. There isn't an IC explanation for it other than dressing the fact that people stopped actively playing in ICspeak.

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Fogtripper » Fri May 16, 2008 12:10 pm

Eldon wrote:
That was sort of the point I was making before, when the suggestion was made for a "list".

Salandra
Exile
Profession: Mystic

Post by Salandra » Fri May 16, 2008 1:07 pm

Helios wrote:Just like the backdoor on Melabrion's Island, there are ways around to get to the same area without a key.
Yes but there is a fundamental difference in how the PI keys were acquired and how the door keys were acquired.

Those keys were give to mystics for the trade they negotiated on behalf of the community. If everyone who had a key still played then we, the community, could use IC/RP means to change how those keys are controlled, however, theres nothing anyone could do to the people who have taken the keys and stopped playing.
http://www.lfgcomic.com/
Help control your Mystic population. Bury all their trainers!

darnok
Exile

Post by darnok » Sat May 17, 2008 4:34 am

Ok..I've waited to chime back in until some others had posted...

I see 4 problems with the way the keys are currently operating.

1)There is no oversight on the way those that have the keys use them. I currently know of 3 keys that I could have someone use for me at any given time...however could this be said for a new adventure group with a newer exile? I doubt it. This is one of the major problems, An adventure group like Eden's LEG cannot operate without some tools, this is one of them. Granted since her group has gotten some noteriety of late she has access to a key or two at this point I'm sure, but would her group have had the access from the start? I *highly* doubt this.

2) The arguement that there are other ways into EP is complete and utter BS. Yes, we all know there are other ways into EP, but unless you want a quick depart or have a PAG strength group, it's not going to happen. The safety of the portal island snell allows *any* group a safe way to at least try to push out to explore EP and/or head to EP locations such as the forge. Without this safety net, EP entry is impossible except for the most well trained exile groups, I dare someone to challenge this point.

3)The RP/Functionality aspect. While I agree that Roleplaying should be a big part of any game, when it pushes the game to a point were only a small group can access a whole PLANE of our world, I think thats a bit ridiculous. I'm all for keeping the storyline arc's together and not ruining them, but there has to be a way for this to be implemented in a better way with more oversight for those involved.

4)The final reason I have is probably one of the more important. The key's can and have been passed around like, pardon my french a cheap whore, those who have them and go on hiatus pass them to friends and some on and so forth. It's a buddy-buddy system where only those that are friends with the right people can get access to the right things. Not that this hasn't happened in the past, but there needs to be some way to hold accountability on those who have they keys. Post a list of those who actually have them, so we know who to pester/blame for not having access!!!

Again I must reiterate, *I* do not have a problem getting access to an EP key for the most part, I'm making these posts for newer exiles who can't and don't get access to these areas even if they'd like to.

Darnok

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™

Post by Phroon » Sat May 17, 2008 10:29 am

darnok wrote:Again I must reiterate, *I* do not have a problem getting access to an EP key for the most part, I'm making these posts for newer exiles who can't and don't get access to these areas even if they'd like to.

Darnok
The GI Kyuem is one snell away from the PI portal in EP. An alternate semi-permanent entry is literally just around the corner from PI.

darnok
Exile

Post by darnok » Mon May 19, 2008 1:21 am

You,more than anyone else, knows their not the same. One offers a completely safe entry while the other doesnt.

Darnok