EP Keys

Moderator: CL GMs

darnok
Exile

EP Keys

Post by darnok » Wed May 14, 2008 5:13 pm

Hey all,

Just presenting this as an idea, I know this would violate the current storyline ark that we got a certain amount of keys in the deal regarding the portal island. I's there any way it could be implemented that ep island keys could be made it a very high coin and/or ingredient requirement. I only mention this because very few active people have them and those that do(with a few exceptions, phroon one of them), forgive me those that have them, horde them to their own adventure groups for the most part. It just seems to me that with the declining numbers, more areas need to be open for the few that remain, limiting a whole area to a few groups isnt really fair to everyone else these days. On a side question, who actually does have the EP island keys these days? I know of a few besides phroon but not all anymore.

Darnok

Slartibartfast
CL GM
CL GM

Re: EP Keys

Post by Slartibartfast » Wed May 14, 2008 6:36 pm

I won't touch the storyline issue with a 50 snell pole, but this was asked before and my general response was the finite supply of the keys isn't likely to change because it is a unique element that a lot of people enjoy. I certainly wouldn't encourage a mechanic like that to be used often (or ever again), but I, and I believe the GM who designed and maintains that storyline, am happy with how things are. Despite the flaws, I think things like this really make Clan Lord special and broaden the game to certain types of players. I'll point out there are a lot of ways into the EP, and while that way is probably one of the safer entries, a key definitely isn't required to enter. Talk to a mystic.

darnok
Exile

Post by darnok » Wed May 14, 2008 7:12 pm

I can see where your coming from, especially from a storyline point of view. The problem is that this part of the game is only fun for the people lucky enough to have gotten a key somehow. For the rest of us it isnt so fun, and I understand that there's more than one way to enter EP, but the only practical one for a group is via the island. I must also point out, the problem isnt the fact that the keys are finite, that would work if people were active, the problem is that 90% of those with keys are gone these days.

Darnok

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Post by Daimoth » Wed May 14, 2008 7:25 pm

darnok wrote:the problem is that 90% of those with keys are gone these days.
Indeed.

How about just magically taking the keys away from long-inactive players and letting exiles "win" them in certain events?
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Profession: Healer
Race: Thoom

Post by Phroon » Wed May 14, 2008 8:45 pm

Daimoth wrote:
darnok wrote:the problem is that 90% of those with keys are gone these days.
Indeed.

How about just magically taking the keys away from long-inactive players and letting exiles "win" them in certain events?
I don't think any of the keys are actually lost to inactive players. Most were handed off.

We could just assemble a list of who actually has a key, that would solve most of the problems.

darnok
Exile

Post by darnok » Wed May 14, 2008 8:50 pm

I think most people would like a list, but I still think quite a few of the keys are on inactive players. I can't think of more than 2 or 3 that I know have a key these days.

Darnok

Salandra
Exile
Profession: Mystic

Post by Salandra » Wed May 14, 2008 9:53 pm

Yar keys are finite.. Good, bad or whatever... What about giving a replacement key out if a person currently holding one hasn't been in the lands for like a 6th month time period or their account has expired...

imho its one thing to limit the number of persons that can access PI and another to let the number of people who can access PI to fall to "low" levels (based on how many keys were originally given out)
http://www.lfgcomic.com/
Help control your Mystic population. Bury all their trainers!

Garr
Exile

Post by Garr » Wed May 14, 2008 10:11 pm

The hard part about making a list of key holders is the fact that a few of them change hands quite often. I can think of 9 off the top of my head of people I've seen use them within the past 2-3 months, but I think 1 of those was passed between 2 or 3 of these people.

-Garr
I still hate Erthor!

Salandra
Exile

Post by Salandra » Thu May 15, 2008 1:47 am

Garr, I understand what you mean and it would be too hard for players to monitor this. I was meaning that GMs would monitor keys and issue "replacement" keys if needed.

Michael
Trainer

Post by Michael » Thu May 15, 2008 4:37 am

Slartibartfast wrote:I won't touch the storyline issue with a 50 snell pole, but this was asked before and my general response was the finite supply of the keys isn't likely to change because it is a unique element that a lot of people enjoy. I certainly wouldn't encourage a mechanic like that to be used often (or ever again), but I, and I believe the GM who designed and maintains that storyline, am happy with how things are. Despite the flaws, I think things like this really make Clan Lord special and broaden the game to certain types of players. I'll point out there are a lot of ways into the EP, and while that way is probably one of the safer entries, a key definitely isn't required to enter. Talk to a mystic.
Of course the people with the keys enjoy it. But fuck them and everyone that looks like them.

Add more keys. It was an awful idea to limit them in the first place, same with that other key. Any item that is ever put into the game like this should be something anyone can get by doing a quest. It should be a game design law.

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Fogtripper » Thu May 15, 2008 5:18 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Talk to a mystic.
Read: rub some salt into that wound :wink:
Phroon wrote:We could just assemble a list of who actually has a key, that would solve most of the problems.
Insofar as the storyline is concerned, were the individuals given the keys for their own specific use, or were they entrusted with the keys to be gatekeepers for whoever wanted access? If the latter, then it is rather a weak argument to not make keys less rare. If the former, then posting a list expecting keyholders to act as gatekeepers kind of defeats the for-individual-use aspect of the storyline.

xepel
Trainer
Profession: Bard
Race: Sylvan

Post by xepel » Thu May 15, 2008 7:47 am

Slartibartfast wrote:it is a unique element that a lot of people enjoy.
What exactly is "a lot"? Three? Five? The number of people who actually have keys?
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"

Gil-Galad
Pirate Clan
Pirate Clan
Profession: Healer
Race: Human

Post by Gil-Galad » Thu May 15, 2008 8:12 am

Salandra wrote:Garr, I understand what you mean and it would be too hard for players to monitor this. I was meaning that GMs would monitor keys and issue "replacement" keys if needed.
That is way too big of a project for the GMs to monitor and then when someone got their key taken away they would bitch and complain(I know I would). The better option is to make more keys available.

PS: I don't and never have had a key. I am just saying if I had one and it was taken away I would be pissed.
Arr, pirates rule!
Michael wrote:A quadruple amputee dragging his ass across the keyboard has a higher chance of making a valid point than Maeght does.

Salandra
Exile

Post by Salandra » Thu May 15, 2008 8:37 am

Gil-Galad wrote:
Salandra wrote:Garr, I understand what you mean and it would be too hard for players to monitor this. I was meaning that GMs would monitor keys and issue "replacement" keys if needed.
That is way too big of a project for the GMs to monitor and then when someone got their key taken away they would bitch and complain(I know I would). The better option is to make more keys available.

PS: I don't and never have had a key. I am just saying if I had one and it was taken away I would be pissed.
As far as I'm concerned given the nature of the PI/Pass keys if those who hold them decide to quit the game or otherwise horde them for excessive periods of time (By having them but not bothering to log in) then the greater good of the community should be considered and their keys should be taken and given to someone else... After all the deal for PI and those keys was bartered by the Mystic Guild for the benefit of the community. If those people who can no longer use the keys to benefit the community are not responsible enough to give them to someone who can then they deserve to lose them.

If you wanted to RP it then we could simply ask the brions to change the locks to ethereal locks that required special keys and give us an NPC to exchange the old keys for new ones. In order to recharge your key and prevent it from vanishing you would have to get an ethereal trained Mystic to charge the key with an Ethercle.

----

I really doubt its very difficult to see who has then and then reference when the last time that person logged in... Its not like the database is made of legos and crayons.. But you're right. It would be better if they gave out more keys... Cept they have flat out said many times that the limited availability of the keys is intended and that if they give out more keys that it will be on a very limited basis... So I made an alternate suggestion. I encourage people to give their opinions, modify or offer alternatives but with all due respect it seems pretty pointless just to say "I dun like it because if they did what they've already said they're not going to do, a million times before, it would be so much better."

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Thu May 15, 2008 10:32 am

Infinite possession of finite resources, like these keys, is bullshit. It closes doors. Doing it was a cute attempt at a fundementally bad idea. I know it plays to the community aspect of CL, but it doesn't help the game.

Keys should be temporary and attainable by all.

Work out a deal with existing key owners. Give them money, make the keys poof after a week or so.

Make getting keys a reasonable quest, not a 4 hour quest. Not even a 1 hour quest. People shouldn't be required to play for a day just to be able to play the quest/area they want to play.

Or, get rid of the keys completely.
This sig pic removed by Vagile