A way to stop special blade rank drain without subclassing

Moderator: CL GMs

Should there be a way to lock in your blade ranks?

No, waste of time.
3%
No, bad design change.
7%
Yes, high priority.
37%
Yes, low priority.
50%
No, but the drain should be removed altogether (those who train will have those ranks forever) with fair warning.
3%

Total votes: 30

Crunch
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Spambot

A way to stop special blade rank drain without subclassing

Post by Crunch » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:45 am

I thought there was a similar old thread, but I couldn't find it, so I'm posting this.

A little background: way back when, before Champions were introduced, I asked a GM (Tinker?) why the gossamer, fell blade, and bloodblade had a rank drain (once every few hours of play time [at least for me at the time], you lose a blade rank and gain one rank of experience if you are not a member of the associated subclass and you're not currently training the blade). The response was that it was to allow people to try out the blades, and decide whether they liked them without taking the risk of training something they didn't like. So it was intended as a benefit to the players, not as a downside to the blades. I think it's a little outdated now, as knowledge about the weapons and the subclasses is pretty freely available.

In any case, whenever I've asked people who haven't subclassed whether the rank drain bothered them, the majority response was a strong yes. I liked gossamer training, but got frustrated enough by the constant maintenance that I dropped it after a few months. I have little hope that we'll be able to join subclasses without taking the Champion/Ranger/Bloodmage name (which would admittedly solve the problem for me but not for some), but do you all want this one changed? There are a variety of ways to implement this, so I'm not going to limit this poll to any particular one.

Michael
Trainer

Re: A way to stop special blade rank drain without subclassing

Post by Michael » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:08 pm

Agreed, its not to much to ask for.

Kerrah
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Champion
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Kerrah » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Great suggestion, Crunch. This would also be good for some people who have already subclassed but would like a few ranks of another blade for special usage (ie, champions who want to train maybe 50-100 goss or something in order to slice through swarms of vermine; rangers who want to train a similar amount of fell in order to backstab creatures that they don't want to learn or can't find enough of them to get lasts on). I've mildly contemplated this from time to time because having 3 swings on absolutely everything is a pain, but I didn't want to deal with the blade drain, so I never bothered with it.

Perhaps there could be an NPC in the fighter hall that allows you to keep the ranks without drainage after you've trained a minimum number of ranks (10? 20? whatever). This way people can keep training the blade if they want with drainage still occurring, or they can opt to lock in the ranks once they've trained enough to "get a feel" for the blade.

Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Post by Fundin » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:19 pm

Oddly, Fundins main reason to train for ranger was to run fast and stop rank decay! (odd though that maybe to a lot rangers)
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Daimoth » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:35 pm

Yes, please. I would like to train small/moderate amounts in a blade without worrying about message/sound spam and retraining angst. And while not being pressured into subclassing.
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Crunch
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by Crunch » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:47 pm

Fundin wrote:Oddly, Fundins main reason to train for ranger was to run fast and stop rank decay! (odd though that maybe to a lot rangers)
This seems particularly telling. Is this really the kind of thing that the game should encourage? Fundin limits his future options in order to get one benefit, and get rid of one penalty.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:37 pm

Any GM going to say anything about this? I find it pretty silly that the main thing keeping me from training a little gossamer is the obnoxious decay messages.

Sephiroth
Exile

Post by Sephiroth » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Daimoth wrote:Any GM going to say anything about this? I find it pretty silly that the main thing keeping me from training a little gossamer is the obnoxious decay messages.
Bump

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:57 pm

Sephiroth wrote:Bump
Indeed.

Xel
Noble

Post by Xel » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:35 pm

Putting my agreement in as well. This no longer bugs me, seeing as all but one of the special-bladed characters I click have subclassed, but I recall this annoying me to no end in the past.
"Barrin taught me that the hardest lessons to grasp are the ones you've already learned."

Raul
Noble

Post by Raul » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:55 pm

add this
for great justice!

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether

Post by Fogtripper » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:46 am

Would this allow a champion to have awesome detha while training (what some call a tad overpowered) bloodblade for the best of both worlds?

Or would a subclass skill only be useable while weilding that subclasses blade?

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:57 am

Subclasses aren't prevented from training the other blades, are they?

I think the GMs are balking at the fact that there might actually have to be real numbers. /use /lock 100 to lock those ranks. OMG, real numbers! Horror of horrors. We can't have that. Or the fact that this would put character development in the hands of the character owner. /use /practice /lock to lock whatever ranks you earn. What? No hidden trainer bonus? Players allowed to control what they learn? Far better to fuck the payers than to give them something of value.
Last edited by Cinnamon on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
This sig pic removed by Vagile

Kerrah
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Champion
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Kerrah » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:58 am

Fogtripper wrote:Would this allow a champion to have awesome detha while training (what some call a tad overpowered) bloodblade for the best of both worlds?

Detha training has absolutely zero bonus effect on bloodbladers. One only needs to look at Naferu for proof of that. He has a Detha ledger along with a bunch of bloodblade, and still falls as quickly as most other bloodbladers.

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:03 am

Kerrah wrote:
Fogtripper wrote:Would this allow a champion to have awesome detha while training (what some call a tad overpowered) bloodblade for the best of both worlds?

Detha training has absolutely zero bonus effect on bloodbladers. One only needs to look at Naferu for proof of that. He has a Detha ledger along with a bunch of bloodblade, and still falls as quickly as most other bloodbladers.
More so when I'm in the room!
This sig pic removed by Vagile