Vagile
Red Quill
Red Quill
Profession: Fighter and Healerer
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive

Armor

Post by Vagile » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:07 pm

Helmets, Platemail, etc. That are actually worth buying and using. Current Sheilds are worthless.

Nightbird
Exile

Post by Nightbird » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:42 pm

Ok, now I know that "the sword doesn't make the man, the man makes the sword"

but, and call me crazy if ya want to I really think that the items we have should be USEFUL, sheilds now add such a minimal amount of detha that they're not even needed (imo anyway) once you pass 2nd.

I'm not saying that we need to have Uber and l33t armor that makes leaps and bounds in the amounts of detha/atkus/regia/WHATEVER that an exile has, but damn, at least let it have a noticable effect (negative AND positive effects, too.)

I know CL is supposed to be about ranks, not equipment (nor do I think it should be all about what gear you have) but come on, we've had access to metal for a long time now, I find it hard to believe that no one has thought to make something aside from chains and shiny daggers with it.

\action shrugs
-NB

Ann
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Ann » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:29 pm

You're right, Clan Lord is designed to focus more on trained skills than on what items you can collect.

The current wooden shields are useful early on, less useful after a while. There are a couple of other kinds of armor in the world that are more useful later.

More kinds of armor will probably come along, but it'll never be a real replacement for defensive training

Nightbird
Exile

Post by Nightbird » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:37 pm

Ann wrote:>snip<

More kinds of armor will probably come along, but it'll never be a real replacement for defensive training

Right, I don't think (well I hope anyway) that anyone, myself included, wants a "replacement" just more "supplements"
-NB

Usagi
Exile

healers

Post by Usagi » Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:50 pm

As a healer, I'd say a Wooden Shield is a big help.

Even with a significant amount of bodrus training, it helps a lot.

Usagi.

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:03 pm

You know, try as I might, I never could see any difference with the shield and finally decided I wanted the inventory space more. I maxed bodrus too.

Drablak
Exile
Profession: Mystic
Race: Thoom
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Drablak » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:08 am

After a very long time without a shield I finally have had one for a time now (*thanks Nettle!*) and I do see a difference, so even with a chronically full pack *I* find it's useful to carry around.

To Ann: I understand that CL is more about training than items, and I do agree, but there are classes that cannot train, or at least not train very efficiently, some abilities, and defense is one of those. So items can be useful to help in these areas.
Cinnamon wrote:The actual concept of an overpowered Mystic registers as an oxymoron.

Ann
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Ann » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:03 am

Drablak wrote:I understand that CL is more about training than items, and I do agree, but there are classes that cannot train, or at least not train very efficiently, some abilities, and defense is one of those.

The question of whether healers and mystics should have access to better defensive ability comes up now and again among the GMs. If it's ever decided to give non-fighters more defense in general, chances are it'll be some kind of trainable skill, not plate mail.

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

LunaBlue
Exile

Post by LunaBlue » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:09 am

Ann wrote:
The question of whether healers and mystics should have access to better defensive ability comes up now and again among the GMs. If it's ever decided to give healers more defense, chances are it'll be some kind of trainable skill, not plate mail.

Ann

Notice she says if HEALERs get more defense. Drablak seems you are out of luck!

Ann
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Ann » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:58 am

Fine, make me edit my post. ;) (Sorry, Drablak. I didn't mean to exlude you.)

Ann

Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Post by Fundin » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:09 pm

I thought a while ago in the NG when i mentioned having a variety of shields, you liked the idea :D and would look into it.

Any progress?

I thought even a metal shield, a buckler, and a large wooden shield could add some more variety, even if it only really benefits the healers, and lower fighters.

Armour can come later possibly :twisted:

With the shields already programmed then maybe its not a big task, with just graphics to add. Then again im no programmer :twisted:

Anyway, whatever, id loooove to see some armour and shields added. Its long overdue, and im sure it can be brought in and be balanced.

Possibly when your armours equiped you get a regia penalty and move slower, an iron helmet could restrict the vision to a certain area around you. Different level of penalites depending on the level of the armour, from leather to plate.

Training could improve the penalties. The options are endless.

Anyway thats my 2c worth :wink:

Fundin
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

Twilth
Exile

Post by Twilth » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:43 pm

Now here's an idea...

how about you put in a trainer that teaches you how to wear armor? Or wear armor effectively... or something of the sort.

Xel
Noble

Post by Xel » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:55 pm

Twilth wrote:Now here's an idea... how about you put in a trainer that teaches you how to wear armor? Or wear armor effectively... or something of the sort.

Right. Let's have a trainer that you need to put 20 ranks into in order for you to wear some armor that gives you +10 detha, +10 histia and -5 regia. ;)
"Barrin taught me that the hardest lessons to grasp are the ones you've already learned."

Polerand
Exile

Post by Polerand » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:16 pm

Well I just don't see why we can have multiple weapons and only a shield and flimsy cotton shirts to protect us. But, seeing that it is what I'm used to ... I'm pretty much ok with it.
Blame Polerand!

Jeff Ray
Exile

Post by Jeff Ray » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:32 pm

I prefer the notion of expendable armor. Give it all the penalties that are traditionally associated with armor, but also allow it to absorb part of the damage that a character would otherwise suffer. (If it absorbed all the damage, it would displace healers.) The armor is damaged as a side effect. Damaged armor could be repaired by a suitably skilled NPC or player, creating another subprofession and coin sink for the CL economy.

-jrr