Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Shorten the peaceton boat trip (times)

Post by Fundin » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:33 am

Bsed on this just seeing how much shorter it could/should/might be.
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:30 am

I put in a half day. How long does it currently take?

I think the whole peaceton thing is very cool. It seems counter-productive for it to take people out of the game of a day or two. Don't we already have a minor population problem without shutting the game down for a select group?
This sig pic removed by Vagile

rieger
Exile

Post by rieger » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:25 am

I didn't vote because I don't know if we're talking OOC or IC time.

1 IC day/6 OOC hours might be an improvement.

At least there is a library on board.

Seld'kar
Noble
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Seld'kar » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

Look guys our fun mas to give way a little in the name of realism, Peacton is in the FAR western isles, far is not a 1 day sail in large ship.
I think having an opinion makes you an asshole.

Shadowfire
Noble
Profession: Champion
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Shadowfire » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:40 am

So eh... Get bigger sails? A more streamlined hull? Galley slaves? ... Outboard motors?

Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Race: Dwarf

Post by Fundin » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:22 am

rieger wrote:I didn't vote because I don't know if we're talking OOC or IC time.

1 IC day/6 OOC hours might be an improvement.

At least there is a library on board.
Its OOC time.
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

Haffron
Knights of Ni

Post by Haffron » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:24 am

Blast, you emporer, blast!!! Blast, you for taking away my ticket, blast! BLAST YOU!!!! Not completely gone yet, whats the deal with peaceton? Lets just take the portal on a ship, I am sure noone will mind that... HA! I bet I couldn't go to Peaceton without a ticket. :(
Santa's crossbow knocked my eye out!

rieger
Exile

Post by rieger » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:23 am

Haffron wrote:Blast, you emporer, blast!!! Blast, you for taking away my ticket, blast! BLAST YOU!!!! Not completely gone yet, whats the deal with peaceton? Lets just take the portal on a ship, I am sure noone will mind that... HA! I bet I couldn't go to Peaceton without a ticket. :(
Huh?

Kani
Red Quill
Red Quill

Post by Kani » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:24 pm

New tickets only cost 100 coins, Haffron. The old tickets were honoured on the first boat ride (you can still use them, I'd imagine), since they didn't get the newly printed tickets to Puddleby in time for the maiden voyage. ;)
The obstacle is the path.

Kani
Red Quill
Red Quill

Post by Kani » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:48 pm

There are lots of justifications and excuses for shortening the boat ride.
Some have already been named, but an additional suggestion:
The captain/navigator discover more swiftly flowing/less choppy/less raided patches of the ocean, and so make the same trip with the same boat that much faster.

Elaborating on one of Shadowfire's suggestions, the current hull is extremely boxy. A sharper addition could even be attached to the current one, without major reconstruction necessary.

From an OOC standpoint: The current trip is too long for me to consider visiting Peaceton again often/at all.
Improvements (Edit: I missed the thread that I should have posted most of this on, sorry) that would make it more of a destination:
A Puddleby Bank teller...
...or basically anything that would give you at least a *chance* at obtaining more coins. Peaceton as it is will take your coins, but allow you no chance at earning them back. (Also, if you run out of coins while you are there and don't have a friend who would loan you coins/an EPS, you are stuck).

In addition to draining coins, Peaceton as it is now drains experience. The libraries (bed and breakfasts) on the island don't seem to compare to the better libraries of Puddleby. The ship's library, unless this was fixed, doesn't seem to give much experience at all.

Even if none of the other suggestions were added, a way to the wild outlands of Peaceton which the good Captain mentions would be nice. Perhaps there could be Arachnoids, or something that Dentir would allow you to earn a few coins from. The Captain mentions that they are looking for furs, which implies that there are very few if any creatures worth skinning.

If Peaceton is left as it is (gorgeous, but with a fairly limited array of things to do), I feel a shorter boat ride would be a huge improvement. Right now, Peaceton is small enough that I feel like I would be wasting the time and money of my characters by sending them there again. The adventuring in Peaceton, such as it is, isn't much good without a fairly strong group. And I don't see strong groups coordinating just so they can hunt there -- they have to spend 24 OOC hours in the library/on the boat before they arrive, and once they're there they only have the choice of one hunting ground.
Last edited by Kani on Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The obstacle is the path.

Stinkfist
Pirate Clan
Pirate Clan
Profession: Pirate King

Post by Stinkfist » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:07 pm

shorten the trip, but give an good IC reason for it: like........

The Pirate King is sick of Captain Ayh'ab's sasmouth, he stabs him and tosses him overboard and replaces him with a new, cooler, more daring captain from his pool of pirates from tha seas. the new captain, more familiar with cheesing it when he has too, can sail the boat a day or so faster than the old clown, who yeah, he's a clown.

infact i vote for this idea :twisted:
Captain Stinkfist, Pirate King, Disgraced Knight, Former Coin Flipping Champion, Head of the Pirates of Lok'Groton

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:31 am

Make it a quest for exiles to discover the North West Passage. Make it high level to give the Ubers something new to complain about.
This sig pic removed by Vagile

Yor
Exile

Post by Yor » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:50 am

Kani wrote:Even if none of the other suggestions were added, a way to the wild outlands of Peaceton which the good Captain mentions would be nice.
Is it possible these "Outlands" are just another way to refer to other places such as the Lok'Groton islands?

Yor

Michael
Trainer

Re: Shorten the peaceton boat trip (times)

Post by Michael » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:44 am

I think the trip there is fine, it does make it cooler that it takes a day.

However there should be a way to instantly teleport home (you know, like healers with a pendant have). It would suck to get stuck there and be missing something in puddlby because you cant get back.

And before some fuckshit says "EPS d00zs", yes I have one. Yes thats how I got home. But most people dont have one, and you cant count on someone that is there having one and wanting to leave when you do.

I felt really bad for the people that were stuck there on monday and missed all the fun of Halloween.

Seld'kar
Noble
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Re: Shorten the peaceton boat trip (times)

Post by Seld'kar » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:15 pm

Michael wrote:I felt really bad for the people that were stuck there on monday and missed all the fun of Halloween.

It was an anounced event, they knew it was going to happen, its thier fault if they missed out on it.

Anyways Peaceton is like an IC vaction, not just another area. Save up your coins a while and visit it for a day or plan a huge trip with your clan, theres no real problem with the time requirement.
I think having an opinion makes you an asshole.