Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Talk to Vagile. Vagile cares.

Moderator: Vagile

The Off Topic Forum Should:

Have Auto-Prune disabled.
74%
Stay the same.
26%

Total votes: 19

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Profession: Healer
Race: Thoom
Player Status: Active

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Phroon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:24 pm

Sproutfoot wrote:I may be in the minority, but my forum enjoyment has increased a boatload since FWITB went the route of opt-in/out.
The old sentinel is Back.

Michael
Trainer

Post by Michael » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:34 am

Gloria wrote:I disagree with the suggestion. The auto-prune in Off-Topic encourages people to post off topic in FWITB forum. This helps make FWITB forum a unique place where foul language, rants, and genuinely benign posts can co-exist. If auto-prune in Off-Topic were disabled, then people may start posting more in Off-Topic. This would decrease the vitality of FWITB forum.
There is nothing wrong with off topic conversation in the off topic forum, it should not be punished. The fact that you think it should renders your opinion on anything invalid until the end of time.

Guinness
Exile
Profession: Pied Piper
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Guinness » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:40 am

Sproutfoot wrote:I may be in the minority, but my forum enjoyment has increased a boatload since FWITB went the route of opt-in/out.
ditto
Grank exclaims, "Oh my, a ferocious Scavenger Bird!"

noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan

Post by noivad » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:53 am

Phroon wrote:
Yay!
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling

Post by Maeght » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:08 am

Phroon wrote:
Yep, back to politics in the main subforums and flames in Off Topic.

Woot!

Sproutfoot
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan
Profession: Botanist

Post by Sproutfoot » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:47 am

Maeght wrote:
Phroon wrote:
Yep, back to politics in the main subforums and flames in Off Topic.

Woot!
Blame the moderators, not the result of lax moderation.

Maeght
Trainer

Post by Maeght » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:25 am

Sproutfoot wrote:
Maeght wrote: Yep, back to politics in the main subforums and flames in Off Topic.

Woot!
That is utterly and profoundly backwards. Vagile's stated policy is the minimum possible moderation. There are no objective standards for moderation as a result. So you have friends moderating friends in a friendly manner.

It's a recipe for failure. Because the usual suspects are certain "their sh*t don't stink".

BTW, the CL GMs are the mods for OOC, and only Vagile mods Off Topic.

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Profession: Healer
Race: Thoom

Post by Phroon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:11 am

Maeght wrote:Yep, back to politics in the main subforums and flames in Off Topic.

Woot!
But the flames are REAL.

Sproutfoot
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Sproutfoot » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:26 am

Maeght wrote:
Sproutfoot wrote:
Maeght wrote: Yep, back to politics in the main subforums and flames in Off Topic.

Woot!
That is utterly and profoundly backwards. *snipped*
BTW, the CL GMs are the mods for OOC, and only Vagile mods Off Topic.
Hey, here's the thing; I'm fine with how it now pans out. If you have an issue with posts outside of FWITB, take it up with the mods.

As it stands, I now don't have to wade through a ton of noise to get to the signal. Your milage can and apparently does vary.

Maeght
Trainer

Post by Maeght » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:02 am

Sproutfoot wrote: Hey, here's the thing; I'm fine with how it now pans out. If you have an issue with posts outside of FWITB, take it up with the mods.

As it stands, I now don't have to wade through a ton of noise to get to the signal. Your milage can and apparently does vary.
Can I quote you on this? No matter how much of the stuff I cited happens, you're ok with it?

Sproutfoot
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Sproutfoot » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:31 pm

Maeght wrote:
Sproutfoot wrote: Hey, here's the thing; I'm fine with how it now pans out. If you have an issue with posts outside of FWITB, take it up with the mods.

Can I quote you on this? No matter how much of the stuff I cited happens, you're ok with it?
Let us now for a moment, reflect on the word "moderation".
Many things are acceptable, when experienced in moderation. How does one insure that something is experienced in moderation? By moderation. Who does the moderating? The moderators, of course.
If there is an overabundance (above and beyond a good level of moderation) it is the fault of those who have the power to enforce moderation.

I moderate my food intake, such that I do not force myself to vomit.
Forum moderators are made moderators, so that the forum under their supervision are moderated.

Don't blame the absence of a no-holds-barred area for the moderation elsewhere. Self moderation is pretty nifty, and I thought it worth mentioning.

I am self moderating my access to the FWITB area of this forum. I am happier for having done so. I come here every so often for a "snack". I prefer not to have people chuck a heaping helping of feces onto my dainty little snack plate. It is wonderful to be able to prevent such. If things that I find distasteful land on my plate from now on, I will hold the head chef responsible. Not the produce vendors, not the cooks, but the head chef

Have issue with things you've cited? Report it. If the moderators at that point do not act on it, either they are not fulfilling their moderator duties, or your threshold of what you perceive as out-of-line needs an adjustment.

Things are good in moderation.

I will now return to my taking of pictures.
- Edit: I may make myself some pistachio pudding for later. I will attempt to not eat so much that I get a tummy ache.

Vagile
Red Quill
Red Quill
Profession: Fighter and Healerer
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Vagile » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:37 pm

This is specifically a Clan Lord forum. A place to discuss CL stuff. I'm not interested in preserving chat that isn't CL related. Off Topic posts are pruned over time when people stop participating in a thread. Community is made within the game not here on the forum. In fact I think the forum works against the community created by the game but whatever.

I'm not seeing any sensible reason to keep off topic discussion.
"Mikey, relax, smoke a bowl, let the anger inside escape." -- Stinkfist
"Don't listen to him Michael. Listen to more metal." -- Daimoth

xepel
Trainer
Profession: Bard
Race: Sylvan

Post by xepel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:13 am

Then why keep Flame Wars in the Badlands unpruned?
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"

Jeanne
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Jeanne » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:35 am

Vagile wrote:This is specifically a Clan Lord forum. A place to discuss CL stuff. I'm not interested in preserving chat that isn't CL related. Off Topic posts are pruned over time when people stop participating in a thread. Community is made within the game not here on the forum. In fact I think the forum works against the community created by the game but whatever.

I'm not seeing any sensible reason to keep off topic discussion.
On the contrary, I think there's more community made here than in the game and I interact with more players in a more in-depth way than I'm able to in the game. If it wasn't for these forums I don't think many people would maintain much interest in the game so I don't think the forums work against the community at all.

Besides, as Xepel says, ftwitb isn't auto-pruned and which kind of post would you rather keep around. Ones that are full of accusations and are mean or ones that are nice and informative?
Jeanne (Bloodmage) - Moon Kitty (Healer) - Himitsu (Fighter/Ranger)
Lok'Groton Adventures

Appletell - Apple, Mac, iPod, iPad, iPhone news and reviews and commentary.

Maeght
Trainer

Post by Maeght » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:46 am

Jeanne wrote: Besides, as Xepel says, ftwitb isn't auto-pruned and which kind of post would you rather keep around. Ones that are full of accusations and are mean or ones that are nice and informative?
This is a huge mischaracterization. Reread the first 5 threads in Off Topic. There is ugliness in each of them.

And with FWitB hidden, it's clear that there will be a lot more of it, not less.