Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Talk to Vagile. Vagile cares.

Moderator: Vagile

The Off Topic Forum Should:

Have Auto-Prune disabled.
14
74%
Stay the same.
5
26%
 
Total votes: 19

User avatar
Alces
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:36 am
Profession: *.Stereotype
Race: Human
Player Status: Inactive
Location: So Cal, USA
Contact:

Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Alces » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:19 pm

Vagile,

Presently, FWitB is the only permanent forum on these boards where one can post topics unrelated to CL without worrying about them being Auto-Pruned. (Auto-Prune = Topics in the forum are deleted after # days without a reply)

Since you have elected to hide the forum (thus effectively removing it as a viable place for open discussion with the whole community), would you please consider changing the Off Topic forum settings so that the topics aren't auto-pruned?

Please?

Thank you.
Last edited by Alces on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Characters on PSA Rank Tracker:
Alces (DPS) - Athran (Brick) - Angadol (Rod) - Abner (Horus) - Ajah (Repairs)
Math, imploring the GMs, wrote:Take bold measures, gentlemen. Save the game.

User avatar
Arianrhod
The Order of the Mini
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:55 pm
Profession: Healer
Race: Human
Player Status: Spambot
Location: Puddleby
Contact:

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Arianrhod » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:34 pm

What exactly *is* auto-pruning?
Why is everybody so serious?

User avatar
Alces
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:36 am
Profession: *.Stereotype
Race: Human
Player Status: Inactive
Location: So Cal, USA
Contact:

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Alces » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:47 pm

Auto-Prune = Topics in the forum are deleted after # days without a reply.

In Off Topic, I think it's 2 weeks...?
Characters on PSA Rank Tracker:
Alces (DPS) - Athran (Brick) - Angadol (Rod) - Abner (Horus) - Ajah (Repairs)
Math, imploring the GMs, wrote:Take bold measures, gentlemen. Save the game.

User avatar
xepel
Trainer
Posts: 3697
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:20 pm
Profession: Bard
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active
Contact:

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by xepel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:55 pm

And if there's a disk space issue, FWitBL could always have it turned on... ;)
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"

User avatar
Chopper
Arilon Legacy
Arilon Legacy
Posts: 576
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:02 pm
Profession: -
Race: Concealed
Player Status: Inactive

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Chopper » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:18 pm

xepel wrote:And if there's a disk space issue, FWitBL could always have it turned on... ;)
No.
Largo wrote:i quit clan lord and now i clock 7-9 hours a day minmaxing romantic relationships

User avatar
Sproutfoot
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:41 am
Profession: Botanist
Race: Halfling
Player Status: Active

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Sproutfoot » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:58 pm

I have to ask: of the items that are dropping into the prune machine, what is actually being lost that causes grief?

User avatar
Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Posts: 6180
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:29 pm
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active
Contact:

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Daimoth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:35 pm

I agree, remove it. Off Topic has had some epic threads in the past that have been deleted into oblivion.

I'd have so much dirt on people if Off Topic stuck around, especially in political threads.
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

User avatar
Maeght
Trainer
Posts: 5648
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:05 pm
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling
Player Status: Active
Location: University of Puddleby
Contact:

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Maeght » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:34 am

Daimoth wrote: I'd have so much dirt on people if Off Topic stuck around, especially in political threads.
Really Vagile, please consider turning off auto-prune in Off Topic if only for the amusement you will get at the irony of the above. :-)

Sala Dragon
Exile
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Sala Dragon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:50 am

Sproutfoot wrote:I have to ask: of the items that are dropping into the prune machine, what is actually being lost that causes grief?
I met a traveler from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal these words appear:
“My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.


(FWIW I agree that pruning should be turned off, but on the other hand, if you care about your old posts getting deleted from a forum that 20 people read, you should step back from your computer and go outside.)

User avatar
Maeght
Trainer
Posts: 5648
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:05 pm
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling
Player Status: Active
Location: University of Puddleby
Contact:

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Maeght » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:48 am

Sala Dragon wrote: (FWIW I agree that pruning should be turned off, but on the other hand, if you care about your old posts getting deleted from a forum that 20 people read, you should step back from your computer and go outside.)
Sometimes there is computer advice to help fix problems people are having running the game. It would be nice to keep that stuff around. Sometimes it's possible to actually learn something from a thread and it's nice to be able to go back to it to clarify something.

And I consider most of those "20" (pretty sure it's a LOT more than that) friends. They put effort into them. I'd rather see graphic attachments disabled than lose text if disk space is an issue.

User avatar
Sproutfoot
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:41 am
Profession: Botanist
Race: Halfling
Player Status: Active

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Sproutfoot » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Sala Dragon wrote:
Sproutfoot wrote:I have to ask: of the items that are dropping into the prune machine, what is actually being lost that causes grief?
I met a traveler from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal these words appear:
“My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.


(FWIW I agree that pruning should be turned off, but on the other hand, if you care about your old posts getting deleted from a forum that 20 people read, you should step back from your computer and go outside.)
I like the cut of your jib.

User avatar
Guinness
Exile
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:21 pm
Profession: Pied Piper
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Guinness » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:58 pm

Yeah, I don't need an avatar.

You can take that away if you like, but I would like a place where people can just talk.

I don't want to have to opt in to FWitBL to do so.

What is it? Money issues?

I can donate some coin if you remove the auto-prune, that is... if bandwidth is an issue. What is it gonna take?? Like, $2 a month? I think the "20 people" who use this forum would each chip in their ten cents for that.

pun intended. :lol:
Grank exclaims, "Oh my, a ferocious Scavenger Bird!"

User avatar
Gloria
Noble
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:34 pm
Profession: Spiritual Advisor
Race: Halfling
Player Status: Active

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Gloria » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:57 pm

I disagree with the suggestion. The auto-prune in Off-Topic encourages people to post off topic in FWITB forum. This helps make FWITB forum a unique place where foul language, rants, and genuinely benign posts can co-exist. If auto-prune in Off-Topic were disabled, then people may start posting more in Off-Topic. This would decrease the vitality of FWITB forum.
Aye'cha wrote:I'm not pulling a Gloria here

User avatar
Jeanne
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan
Posts: 859
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:18 am
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot
Location: Looking at the Moon
Contact:

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Jeanne » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Gloria wrote:I disagree with the suggestion. The auto-prune in Off-Topic encourages people to post off topic in FWITB forum. This helps make FWITB forum a unique place where foul language, rants, and genuinely benign posts can co-exist. If auto-prune in Off-Topic were disabled, then people may start posting more in Off-Topic. This would decrease the vitality of FWITB forum.
Turning off auto-prune in the off-topic forum would not decrease the vitality of the FWitBL forum one single bit. This is the most ridiculous line of reasoning I have seen in a long time.

People on this forum would, on occasion, like to speak with each other about a topic not relating to Clan Lord WITHOUT foul language and rants. Aren't those conversations as equally valid and worthy of archiving as the ones with them?
Jeanne (Bloodmage) - Moon Kitty (Healer) - Himitsu (Fighter/Ranger)
Lok'Groton Adventures

Appletell - Apple, Mac, iPod, iPad, iPhone news and reviews and commentary.

User avatar
Sproutfoot
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:41 am
Profession: Botanist
Race: Halfling
Player Status: Active

Re: Please disable Auto-Prune in the Off Topic forum.

Post by Sproutfoot » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:02 pm

I may be in the minority, but my forum enjoyment has increased a boatload since FWITB went the route of opt-in/out.

Post Reply