Kill files

Talk to Vagile. Vagile cares.

Moderator: Vagile

Post Reply
User avatar
Phineas
Red Quill
Red Quill
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:53 am

Kill files

Post by Phineas » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:07 am

One of the features that I miss from the newsgroup is the ability to kill articles from particular authors. Is there a way of implimenting this ability within this forum?

Hidden
Wusscare(tm)
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:10 am
Contact:

Re: Kill files

Post by Hidden » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:37 pm

Phineas wrote:One of the features that I miss from the newsgroup is the ability to kill articles from particular authors. Is there a way of implimenting this ability within this forum?


I'd like this too. I could killfile all the people I agree with. It would save a tremendous amount of time spent reading stuff I already knew.
Carpe diem via scrotum.

User avatar
Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan
Posts: 6375
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:06 am

Post by Cinnamon » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:16 am

what is this all about? i don't understand. pls explain.

Slyph
Exile
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:18 pm
Profession: Healer
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active
Location: Wisconsin

Post by Slyph » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:14 am

Cinnamon wrote:what is this all about? i don't understand. pls explain.


USENET clients allow a user to suppress articles (killing or using a killfile) in newsgroups based on filters, most commonly used to kill articles written by specific individuals. A user can do this in comp.sys.mac.games.adventure. In the version of phpBB used by the Sentinel (2.0.4)Ûa version that's outdated by 4 other releases of phpBBÛthe ability to kill articles is missing. I think article killing might be missing in v2.0.8, as well.



There are third party modifications available for article killing in phpBB. People report that they work very well. The Sentinel, being outdated and modified in other ways, might not be able to support this sort of modification. It would be a useful addition, nevertheless.
Last edited by Slyph on Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM
Posts: 2869
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:04 pm
Location: Fairgrounds
Contact:

Post by Eldon » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:58 am

Slyph wrote: In the version of phpBB used by the Sentinel (2.0.4)Ûa version that's outdated by 4 other releases of phpBBÛthe ability to kill articles is missing.


Just a note: we know that the board software has more releases, but due to the vast changes that Ann made for this board, we've been slow to update because we'd have to reintroduce all of her changes into each new version.



But, if there's enough interest in killfiling (which I can only assume that it filters the php content on the fly), maybe it's time to consider those other versions.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

User avatar
Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan
Posts: 6375
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:06 am

Post by Cinnamon » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:42 am

Slyph wrote:
Cinnamon wrote:what is this all about? i don't understand. pls explain.


USENET clients allow a user to suppress articles (killing or using a killfile) in newsgroups based on filters, most commonly used to kill articles written by specific individuals.


Thanks! That's pretty cool, and I could see it being used if the group has a high proportion of jackasses or a BB having a broad topic base. I don't actually feel that way about this group, just one poster comes to mind. Wouldn't one run the risk of missing valid points and even being totally off base on a topic by filtering out people?

Slyph
Exile
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:18 pm
Profession: Healer
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active
Location: Wisconsin

Post by Slyph » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:15 pm

Cinnamon wrote:Thanks! That's pretty cool, and I could see it being used if the group has a high proportion of jackasses or a BB having a broad topic base. I don't actually feel that way about this group, just one poster comes to mind. Wouldn't one run the risk of missing valid points and even being totally off base on a topic by filtering out people?


Sometimes I'd see a response to someone that I had killfiled, but most often I'd read something that was merely a tirade against the killfiled author. Some threads were breifly confusing because of a killfile, but it's not that disruptive. I think people tend to killfile few individuals in newsgroups, but do killfile whole groups of persons: when comp.sys.mac.games.adventure was much more popular, even with non-CL people, readers routinely killfiled all articles beginning with "CL:"Ûperfectly apt for the sort of broad topical forum you mentioned above.



But even if there are no authors that persons wish to killfile in this forum, author filtering is important. It's the foil to the heavy-handed moderator that must step in (too slowly or too quicklyÛand always reluctantly) to repair a situation when someone does start causing problems. The absence of author filtering lends to the likelihood of future censorship.



I'm aware that the persons running this forum might consider it to be private and not public. Author filtering at the user's level is good for any online community.

Hidden
Wusscare(tm)
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:10 am
Contact:

Post by Hidden » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:56 pm

Slyph wrote:Author filtering at the user's level is good for any online community.


Not necessarily. Some admins I know (admittedly in more heavily moderated communities, where you can get kicked out for being too much of a jerk) are of the opinion that people should be mature enough to simply ignore the posts of people they don't like, or perhaps be a bit more tolerant.



I still think it would be a good idea here, but that's not necessarily universally true.
Carpe diem via scrotum.

Post Reply