In Character Forum

Talk to Vagile. Vagile cares.

Moderator: Vagile

Ann
CL GM
CL GM

Re: In Character Forum

Post by Ann » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:46 am

Hidden wrote:It would be nice if people in the IC forum stayed IC, but folks seem to be having problems with that. I guess I could start PM-ing everyone who clutters up the forum with OOC stuff asking them to cut it out, but I think a bit of moderation would go a long way.

Personally, I'd prefer to leave it unmoderated. I'm pretty good at ignoring OOC intrusions in an IC forum. I suppose that means I'm not a purist.

Ann

Valtrim
Order of the White Elephant

Post by Valtrim » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:30 pm

Ann wrote:Personally, I'd prefer to leave it unmoderated. I'm pretty good at ignoring OOC intrusions in an IC forum. I suppose that means I'm not a purist.

I'd say that it means that your roleplay isn't disturbed by out-of-character intrusions.

While roleplaying preferences vary, styling anyone as a "purist" is silly. Find me an individual who brings no real-world baggage to the table and I'll find you an individual who doesn't exist.

HWC for Valtrim
"If me knowing something makes CL less fun for you, then that makes you a cock." -- Michael

zen
Temple of the Moon
Temple of the Moon

Post by zen » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:22 pm

Valtrim wrote:
Ann wrote:Personally, I'd prefer to leave it unmoderated. I'm pretty good at ignoring OOC intrusions in an IC forum. I suppose that means I'm not a purist.

I'd say that it means that your roleplay isn't disturbed by out-of-character intrusions.

While roleplaying preferences vary, styling anyone as a "purist" is silly. Find me an individual who brings no real-world baggage to the table and I'll find you an individual who doesn't exist.

HWC for Valtrim

I suppose it's an ontological question to argue that it's possible to create a work of art completely separate from one's experience and beliefs, but your argument is sophistry. Obviously, nothing that humans create is created outside of human experience.

But if you're saying that a person cannot create a character out of whole cloth and remain creative enough to live inside that character without going outside of the design parameters established for that character by the creator, you're absolutely wrong. In my view, that's what's meant by 'pure' role playing.
Carpe Occultum via scrotum.

Valtrim

Post by Valtrim » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:14 pm

zen wrote:I suppose it's an ontological question to argue that it's possible to create a work of art completely separate from one's experience and beliefs, but your argument is sophistry. Obviously, nothing that humans create is created outside of human experience.

Touch». The "argument" may have been elementary, but the idea that art reflects life is still something which might help people bring their roleplaying into focus; see below.

But if you're saying that a person cannot create a character out of whole cloth and remain creative enough to live inside that character without going outside of the design parameters established for that character by the creator, you're absolutely wrong. In my view, that's what's meant by 'pure' role playing.

I'd worry more about the character falling in line with the parameters established for the world in which that character resides (I'm assuming you distinguished between character and world parameters: the parameters set for Tessa Malthus were not in line with game world parameters and thus violate my definition of "pure" roleplaying); personalities can and do shift quickly (which isn't to say that characters who change slowly are bad, only to say that characters who seem to "break character" with regard to their own personalities aren't implausible). Thus, I'll posit the following: "pure" roleplay reflects the game world in which the character (as opposed to the player) resides and the game world, in turn, reflects some (but not all) aspects of the real world. Roleplaying is "impure" when it reflects elements of the real world not present in the game world. Part of the difficulty with Clan Lord, as people have mentioned, is that it's unclear which aspects of the real world are likely to exist in the game world. This is also elementary, but worth reflecting on every once in awhile if one is concerned with roleplay.

I guess that what troubled me was the use of the word "pure". It's an ideal; it only exists for a single moment, if that, and applying it to people is silly. Talking about "better" and "worse" roleplaying, given definitions of what's "good" and "bad" would be better. Talking about what's "desirable" and "undesirable" would please me even more.

All of this said, I don't care who, if anyone, moderates the "In Character" forum. By the way, all such forums are assumed to exist in the library, right? That place should really be larger. And where are the exiles getting all of these writing materials, anyway? ;)

HWC for Valtrim
"If me knowing something makes CL less fun for you, then that makes you a cock." -- Michael