Talk to Vagile. Vagile cares.

Moderator: Vagile

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Fun Polls

Post by Cinnamon » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:13 am

Ahoy!

How about making more work for the site managers here?

Static Fun Polls.

IC & OOC topics such as, Favorite Hunting Grounds, Average Weekly Time Spent Hunting, Vote Here To Increase Your Number Of Posts, and so on and so forth.

I thought it might be neat to have some fun with it, as well as all the heavy discussion that goes on around here.

They can't all be gems, you know!

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Re: Fun Polls

Post by Eldon » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:43 am

Cinnamon wrote:Ahoy!

How about making more work for the site managers here?

Static Fun Polls.

IC & OOC topics such as, Favorite Hunting Grounds, Average Weekly Time Spent Hunting, Vote Here To Increase Your Number Of Posts, and so on and so forth.

I thought it might be neat to have some fun with it, as well as all the heavy discussion that goes on around here.

They can't all be gems, you know!

Go for it! :)
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Post by Fundin » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:14 am

Yeah could be nice, stuff like Location (EST, PST GMT etc.), time spent clanning, number of characters, years spent playing etc. Nice to see how data like this, then again i am a stat freak.

Also be quite nice, expecially since Cencus seems to have died :?
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

Ann
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Ann » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:50 pm

What are you thinking, a new Polling Place forum?

Ann

Shakyamuni
Open Hands
Profession: Healer/Alchemist
Race: Halfling

Post by Shakyamuni » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:43 am

Ann wrote:What are you thinking, a new Polling Place forum?

Ann

A Polling Forum for Static polls. such as Where you like to hunt, or what is your current rank/training, etc. Be interesting to see what we could learn about what the population actually is.

Could be called "Dept. of Statistics" I also think this information would be useful to the GM's in figuring out just who the audience actually is, instead of speculating.

My first question would be "How many hours a week do you spend playing (Total). Followed by "how many characters do you have".

I think there are lots of places this could be useful

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:19 am

HWC was a little out of his tree when he posted this. Fresh batch of kudzu and all. In fact, I thought I canceled out of it with a "who cares" grumble. So you can imagine my surprise to see that someone had posted the same idea. Rather gratifying.

It's nice that there are some responses.

I too am a stat freak. I love to see the numbers. It's a sickness, really.

Now that I've come down and have had a proper breakfast, here is where I think I was going with the idea. The idea was that some polls could either be re-set on a staggered semi-annual or some such basis. Or the history of some votes might persist, but logins would be allowed to vote again after a period.

Anyway, it's a pretty loose thought right now. Could be fun. Would be nice to know, even if it only represents members of this board and not the population of Puddleby.

Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Fundin » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:57 am

There is other stuff it would be nice to see, like circles, professions etc. But i think some of this stuff can be gleaned from DT itself? I remember a while back a list of the % split of the populace?

Perhaps you can tell us what *you can* find out, so we dont include it as a poll.

\action hides his stats book

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY

Seld'kar
Noble
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Seld'kar » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:57 pm

Fundin wrote: But i think some of this stuff can be gleaned from DT itself? I remember a while back a list of the % split of the populace?

That was all done by Census, a character who would log on every half hour or so and take infromation.
I think having an opinion makes you an asshole.

Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Fundin » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:12 pm

Aye but Cencus has died :? so another way is needed. (well not died but i think whoever did it sais he cant get it to work anymore with the changes in CL or OSX?

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:37 am

If you would like another Forum, that's easily enough done.

If not, anyone can make a custom poll, except in the Suggestions Forum.

Just let us know.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:01 am

Well the idea wasn't only for another forum to create polls in. Some of the ideas suggested are:

Static Polls that would self re-set over time. Every few months or so.

Static Polls that would allow the same login to vote multiple times. Not in the same session, but after a reasonable period of time.

The current state of the polling system is that each poll is a single event, addressing a single topic in the short term.

Polls could be used to track trends regarding all aspects of IC & OOC exile life. They could even help rebuild a sense of community. Provide the impetus for more exiles to get involved in the forum, and thus get more involved in CL.

It's still a pretty loose idea.

Some of us are such practitioners of AnusRetentus that these sorts of facts and figues help give context and foundation to the chaos (bi-weekly) of our lives.

Ann
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Ann » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:56 am

Cinnamon wrote:Static Polls that would self re-set over time. Every few months or so.

Static Polls that would allow the same login to vote multiple times. Not in the same session, but after a reasonable period of time.

Self-resetting is a bit tricky. Not impossible, but this board system doesn't currently support it, so it'd take a bit of work to get it going.

I don't understand why people need to vote multiple times. You can change your vote by deleting it and voting again.

Keeping a snapshot of the vote results every few weeks or months sounds like fun to me, but again, it'd be hard to get the forum to do it automatically.

Ann

LunaBlue
Exile

Post by LunaBlue » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:07 am

Ann wrote:
Cinnamon wrote:Static Polls that would self re-set over time. Every few months or so.

Self-resetting is a bit tricky. Not impossible, but this board system doesn't currently support it, so it'd take a bit of work to get it going.

I don't understand why people need to vote multiple times. You can change your vote by deleting it and voting again.

Keeping a snapshot of the vote results every few weeks or months sounds like fun to me, but again, it'd be hard to get the forum to do it automatically.

Ann

I may misunderstand how it would work, but there is an option when you create a poll to limit how long it is active. We could create a poll allow it to be active for 3 months, then create the exact same poll to run the following 3 months that would keep records.

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:30 pm

LunaBlue wrote:I may misunderstand how it would work, but there is an option when you create a poll to limit how long it is active. We could create a poll allow it to be active for 3 months, then create the exact same poll to run the following 3 months that would keep records.

Too much work, I'm too lazy to keep such a thing going. What do we have computers for? Other than playing CL, I mean. Keeping track of repetetive tasks. Also, there's too much room for human, ahem exile, error. Data integrity and all needs consistancy in the sample time frame.

Some of these polls could get huge in the list of options. Pretty tedious for the poor sod to re-create.

Ann wrote:I don't understand why people need to vote multiple times. You can change your vote by deleting it and voting again.

Honestly, I don't have a scenario for this. I'm just spitballing ideas. Maybe I was thinking about trends and such. That sort of thing would be better as an archive, or a graph or something.

I can't wait for people to start complaining about all the useless polls drawing attention from real issues at hand! Give a man a fish, and he'll complain there's no lemon butter. Teach him how to fish, and he'll complain about smelling like bait.