45%
I really like the idea
No votes

Total votes: 11

Overlord
Exile

Active in function

Post by Overlord » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:00 am

I find this function very useful in other forums I use. What this function does is, if you go to the profile of an online person, it just tells you what they are doing at that moment. Whether they are "Adding reply to Suggestion thread" or something like that.

I spend alot of the time on Sentinel just hitting the refresh button because you can't tell if someone is just sitting idle (like me) on the main forum page or actually doing something. It would save me alot of wasted time if I knew that I would have a reply soon or to give it a few hours. Yes, I am a forum hawk when I want to be :twisted:

It doesn't disclose any personal information, it just lets me know to expect something soon or later. Any questions? Comments? Concerns?

The poll is by usefullness instead of priority because, of course, it is a low priority. But lwo priority doesn't mean you are against the idea. This poll better evaluates the feelings of the forum users.
Cinnamon wrote:Ever feel like you organised a rally for the homeless only to have anti-abortion and anti-american and pro-gay activists show up and that guy with the rainbow wig and his John 3:16 sign?

Small
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Small » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:51 pm

I just wait until my email goes *ding*. Practically instant notification. Or... you know... close enough for someone who isn't being *completely* obsessive. :wink:

Overlord
Exile

Post by Overlord » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:33 pm

:shock: I think I just got called obsesive. heh :P

Not to mention I already recieve over 150 emails a day, just work related. It would be painful to sit to check my email every 5 minutes to notice that I had more work to do that day. It would make a grown man cry.

EDITED.
Cinnamon wrote:Ever feel like you organised a rally for the homeless only to have anti-abortion and anti-american and pro-gay activists show up and that guy with the rainbow wig and his John 3:16 sign?

Small
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Small » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:12 pm

Sure, but my mail reader gets mail from *5* different email accounts, surely you could find one that made a special ding, just for your bb hawking account. :D

Overlord
Exile

Post by Overlord » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:01 pm

What mail reader to you use? I use (go ahead and cringe) Microsoft Outlook from Microsoft Office 2000. I have to use Office anyways for the Access databases.

Xel
Noble

Post by Xel » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:15 pm

You could set up a CL-only email account, or use a Filter to filter all your Sentinel messages into a given folder, and just check *that* obsessively.

-Xel
"Barrin taught me that the hardest lessons to grasp are the ones you've already learned."

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Re: Active in function

Post by Lorikeet » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:13 pm

-=(Overlord)=- wrote:I find this function very useful in other forums I use. What this function does is, if you go to the profile of an online person, it just tells you what they are doing at that moment. Whether they are "Adding reply to Suggestion thread" or something like that.

I spend alot of the time on Sentinel just hitting the refresh button because you can't tell if someone is just sitting idle (like me) on the main forum page or actually doing something. It would save me alot of wasted time if I knew that I would have a reply soon or to give it a few hours.
Er...You mean it would be easier to look at who is listed as being online and click their profile to see what they are doing, then just refreshing? Besides, if you don't refresh, how will you know who else is on line?

Overlord
Exile

Post by Overlord » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:19 am

Ok, Its like this. Say I (which I do) have several topics I post in, and several I don't. If I see 4 people online. The only thing I can do is F5-F5-F5-F5 for an hour. F5= Refresh btw. What I would like to be able to do is click the names of the people who are online (yes, profile) and it says something to the line of "Currently posting in suggestions". Or if possible, the topic. So I could look and know "Noones posting on mine, might as well leave and come back in a couple hours" I would give you an example, but my other forums are down at the moment.

EDIT:

Like right now, its 8:20 and i went to the main screen and Demian is online. I have no idea whether to stay and wait for his response because he may be replying to something that intrests me... or to know that he's reading Board Messages or something.

Demian
Clan Hunter
Clan Hunter

Post by Demian » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:26 am

-=(Overlord)=- wrote:Like right now, its 8:20 and i went to the main screen and Demian is online. I have no idea whether to stay and wait for his response because he may be replying to something that intrests me... or to know that he's reading Board Messages or something.
Nope, I never reply to anything that interests anybody ;-)

</snarky>

Overlord
Exile

Post by Overlord » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:28 am

He actually posted :p But under normal circumstances, I wouldn't know whether to wait on a response or leave and come back later.

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Post by Lorikeet » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:35 am

I guess I'll never see why it's so hard to just refresh. I usually check a lot, but I leave the page and come back. It's easier to me than the stuff you want. heh heh Then again, I read everything ;)

Overlord
Exile

Post by Overlord » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:43 am

Well, since I work in a office (most of the time) It sitting on my screen and Im just pushing refresh 1 billion times. Since I have... 6 computer monitors that are hooked to something, 2 monitors that are hooked to nothing, and Twenty Seven computers running in the room with me, it's not hard to multitask. Oh wait, its HARD to multitask. So I keep glancing over and hitting refresh to no avail. Maybe a better option would be a check box that says "(x) Auto Refresh every 2 minutes" or something.

Overlord
Exile

Post by Overlord » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:33 am

Gmail open to registers? If not, can someone invite me? :twisted:

Wait, before you do that, does Gmail allow POP3/IMAP access?

Raul
Noble

Post by Raul » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:54 am

-=(Overlord)=- wrote:Gmail open to registers?
maybe, check it out
-=(Overlord)=- wrote:can someone invite me?
if it isn't open, sure
-=(Overlord)=- wrote:does Gmail allow POP3/IMAP access?
yes

Overlord
Exile

Post by Overlord » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:13 pm

I need invited :(
Gmail wrote:You can get a Gmail account if you're invited by someone who already has one. Or, you can sign up for an account using your mobile phone. Currently, we're only able to offer this promotion in the United States, but we are working hard to make it available in more countries.