Move a portal to Foghaven Monastry.

IC only discussion in game events, clans, weddings, parties, anything...

Moderators: Lorikeet, Kani, wangahrah

Do you agree?

Yes, green>Foghaven.
1
3%
Yes, purple>Foghaven.
9
30%
NO.
20
67%
 
Total votes: 30

User avatar
Talas
Exile
Posts: 599
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:57 am
Profession: Fighter
Race: Concealed
Player Status: Active
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact:

Re: Move a portal to Foghaven Monastry.

Post by Talas » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:01 pm

Thanks to whoever put portal back to CD.

Talin
Noble
Posts: 1150
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:13 pm
Profession: Healer
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active
Contact:

Re: Move a portal to Foghaven Monastry.

Post by Talin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:19 pm

Well. I did not read the forum in a while. Unfortunately have to get back at something some pages back.
Mac wrote:
Talin wrote:Sorry for using too few words for you to understand.
Honestly, the sheer vemon and rage you're directing at me for explaining my opinion on the nature of the objects in question kinda shows how unreasonable you're being on the topic. I get that you're upset, but I didn't move them and I publicly stated I was fine leaving them in their traditional locations. Are we having a discussion or are we just hating each other?
Err, wut? LOL. Venom and rage? I mentioned "putting the portal back", you claimed my words have "fundamental flaws in logic since "back" for the portal could only mean the cloud". I used too few words, obviously. I am sorry. And I am now completely lost. So lecturing on supposed flaws in logic are in order, but apologizing for not using a foreign language correctly is a clear sign of "sheer venom, and rage". Mmmk. Whatever.

Again, for those not reading my words, but interpreting whatever serves their purpose: I am not against moving the portal. The way it was done this time is rather far below optimal.

The portals were again, and again, moved to other locations. I know I have been involved with several of such moves. One gets some heat even when communicating openly, constantly, and over all possible channels. I know that very well. But then one does not have to hide behind fake arguments, like "we monitored the traffic" and such when not even knowing who comes out of lib on a regular basis. Kuddos to Daimoth for being honest, and admitting they did it in secrecy since they thought they would face strong opposition.

So, how about we do find solutions that work for most? Please keep in mind that mutual name calling does not further finding them. How about people try to understand each other, not win a war?

I personally have to say: for me, the portal in OP is not good enough an argument. I know pick-up hunting is convenient, but seriously, I have myself run back to let more people catch up with BP hunts way too often. It is really not a problem. As opposed to CD hunting being pretty much impossible without a portal, except with a rather strong rod (DP). If the portal goes to Foghaven, then I find it worthwhile. Not because I hunt there often, I do not. But because I find the argument of the mystics wanting to get further with the area, and I guess the saved way there is considerable.

Possibilities I see:
1) Additional means of transportation: the corresponding thread was kinda closed by someone who I believe is a great fan of my way of speaking a foreign language. ;)
2) The portal now in OP is in whatever area needing scientific scrutiny at the moment a certain time in the month. To be returned to the cloud, where, according to some people it probably originally belongs. If that solution is followed, I do not care where it is. It is kinda "leased" (bad word, i KNOW. NOT MY LANGUAGE) by the current strong ones, wherever they want it.
3) Talks are held with the timid folks of all sides whether the other portal can be put to CD. Consequences would be: both portals reachable via mirror -> cloud for traveling there, traveling back to town from CD via OV (with Trillbane pf), hunting out from Foghaven. I personally think that is really a bad solution, to be honest. But better, than having the other portal in town. Not everyone who used to hunt in the area has the pf to easily get to OV.

Edit:
Talas wrote:Thanks to whoever put portal back to CD.
Hm. Guess I write too slowly. ;)

Not sure that solves the problem, though.... I still would like to continue finding better solutions....
Last edited by Talin on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Naferu
Exile
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:49 am

Re: Move a portal to Foghaven Monastry.

Post by Naferu » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Talas wrote:
Naferu wrote:My point was about Talas saying he couldn't solo OP, and using that as a point about the portal placement.
...he claimed Kalian was soloing NOOB, now he's saying he said it about me, in another strange attempt at revisionist history/damage control/alzheimer's? I'm seeing a trend here.
maybe i could solo OP.
But there is a huge difference with Village.
1: you can't really zu OP
2: shieldstone is not half as effective there since there are ponies that do not care about that
3: I had access to a horus healer in village at that time
4: even with that setup i had to depart several times there.
(edit - I forgot) 5: Lures were through a very small gap so you did not lure 4-5 monsters most of the time. And since others hunted there too I did not have to clear on my own most of the time.
(6: twigs)

well since I adressed it to the wrong one i didn't care to whom i adressed it. Instead of being obsessed of this error you could just correct me.
But it seems you don't want to use this argument over and over again instead of putting it aside. Fine for me, just show your true face.
I still can't believe you are still trying to justify your argument that OP is harder to solo than village. Especially with a portal to town in it.
"Obsessed" with an error? I pointed out once that you changed your false assumption about Kalian soloing NOOB to that of me soloing NOOB; you're assumption is false in both cases, but very well could have been an attempt at correcting a false statement. Caring about whom you address when making false assumptions about them might be important. It is very easy to say "Oh I actually meant that about so-and-so", rather than admitting you are wrong.
Mai-a-hiiii mai-a-haaa mai-a-hooo mai-a-haaa'aaaa!!!

User avatar
Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Posts: 6180
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:29 pm
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active
Contact:

Re: Move a portal to Foghaven Monastry.

Post by Daimoth » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:02 pm

Talin wrote:The portals were again, and again, moved to other locations. I know I have been involved with several of such moves. One gets some heat even when communicating openly, constantly, and over all possible channels. I know that very well. But then one does not have to hide behind fake arguments, like "we monitored the traffic" and such when not even knowing who comes out of lib on a regular basis. Kuddos to Daimoth for being honest, and admitting they did it in secrecy since they thought they would face strong opposition.
We were monitoring portal usage, and we still are. Portal usage has increased since we moved it; people who were not hunting regularly started doing so again, and unplanned opt-in hunts were being created. We were using the tools that were always at our disposal to get hunts started and connect people. I'm confident that if it remained in OP and more people (particularly the inactive) were made aware of its position, usage would increase even more.

We have no regrets about what we did. If nothing else, we're now having a conversation that we would have never had otherwise. From now on, the portal will NOT remain in one static, stagnant location.

This is a big victory for all of us.
Last edited by Daimoth on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Talin
Noble
Posts: 1150
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:13 pm
Profession: Healer
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active
Contact:

Re: Move a portal to Foghaven Monastry.

Post by Talin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:20 pm

Daimoth wrote:
Talin wrote:The portals were again, and again, moved to other locations. I know I have been involved with several of such moves. One gets some heat even when communicating openly, constantly, and over all possible channels. I know that very well. But then one does not have to hide behind fake arguments, like "we monitored the traffic" and such when not even knowing who comes out of lib on a regular basis. Kuddos to Daimoth for being honest, and admitting they did it in secrecy since they thought they would face strong opposition.
We were monitoring portal usage, and we still are. Portal usage has increased since we moved it; people who were not hunting regularly started doing so again, and unplanned opt-in hunts were being created. I'm confident that if it remained in OP and more people (particularly the inactive) were made aware of its position, usage would increase even more.

We have no regrets about what we did. If nothing else, we're now having a conversation that we would have never had otherwise.

This is a big victory for the community.
Again, since you guys did not notice people coming out of lib on a regular basis for months, your entire monitoring is flawed. The best reason I can find is simply disregarding certain timezones. Would explain why obviously the gadzillion hunts in FH, etc. of those timezones were not counted. With all due respect, that argument is a non-argument as long as you do not show that the monitoring was done properly. So, how DO you monitor? There is a reason why any science on the mainland worth noticing needs to be peer-reviewed ;)

The conversation could easily have been started by... talking. Victory for the community... maybe, IF we can talk without mutual name calling. That has yet to be proven. ;) And if so, not because of the move. As someone wrote somewhere else, it brings, yet again, the worst out of otherwise decent players. But anyway. If not attacked personally again, let's work on finding solutions.

Would help if a GM could comment on the likelihood of other means of transportation... I am a bit burned out of the amount of wishful thinking on such forums. Strong feelings of players are good, of GMs are better.. :)

Naferu
Exile
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:49 am

Re: Move a portal to Foghaven Monastry.

Post by Naferu » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:23 pm

Talas wrote:Thanks to whoever put portal back to CD.
Was one week really that hard on you?
Now you can get back to hunting alone.
Mai-a-hiiii mai-a-haaa mai-a-hooo mai-a-haaa'aaaa!!!

Killian
Exile
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:05 pm
Profession: Ranger
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Re: Move a portal to Foghaven Monastry.

Post by Killian » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:29 pm

I really hope we can come to some agreement on moving the portal. Please y'all let's really talk about it. We have the chance to really explore. In the coming days and weeks I know we can come up with something that will work for most if not all.
If I can help you in any way. Please ask.

User avatar
Chmee
Exile
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:55 am
Profession: Ranger
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Move a portal to Foghaven Monastry.

Post by Chmee » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:27 am

For myself, 'solo' means just that. I don't dual box, or whatever you call it. If Chmee is hunting, Sunoril stays in the lib.
Chmee, Ranger, Open Hands.

User avatar
Maeght
Trainer
Posts: 5648
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:05 pm
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling
Player Status: Active
Location: University of Puddleby
Contact:

Re: Move a portal to Foghaven Monastry.

Post by Maeght » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:13 am

Thing is, they're not monitoring use of the portal to CD, they're monitoring use of the portal to hunt where they and their friends want to hunt.

They've also denied the validity of of threads or polls here or in game.

What other possible conclusion could they come up with?

User avatar
meph
Maximum Rankage
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:14 pm
Location: santa cruz, ca
Contact:

Re: Move a portal to Foghaven Monastry.

Post by meph » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:36 pm

I voted yes, and I appreciate the initiative taken by these two lads to drive progress forward.
"I don't do drugs. I am drugs." - Salvador Dali

User avatar
Destian
Trainer
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:51 am
Profession: Healer/Slug Wrangler
Race: Human
Player Status: Spambot

Re: Move a portal to Foghaven Monastry.

Post by Destian » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:27 pm

PUGs to a hunting ground considered appropriate for the majority of the community were actually happening again when the portal was at OP.

I realize there are a lot of people who still use CD (I would be going there to collect chests on occasion if Solomon would ever push his next goddamn rank :\) but the value of being able to actually PUG hunt like this is incredible.

It's actually possible to play CL how CL was actually MEANT TO BE PLAYED once again: by logging in, finding people to hunt with, and going to hunt with them in a level-appropriate area. No scheduled hunt required.

Look at it this way: why do we schedule hunts in the first place? Because getting to the places we want to hunt is unsafe, time-consuming, and requires a large enough party to fight our way in there to start with. Having a portal at the OP bypasses ALL of these issues and allows people to just jump in and go hunt.

CD has it's uses, but it's not a current hunting ground for a large part of the community.

What's more, we should have more portals. This entire issue is insane. It's like if, during the earlier days of CL, we had to choose between having easy access to Kitty Beach OR the Valley, and it would take an extra hour to reach the other one.

We need quick access to both, because not having quick access to both is guaranteed to screw over one part of the community no matter what happens, and CL has too small of a community for us to afford to screw over parts of it.

In fact, I'm not one to normally suggest something like this, but if the GMs happen to be sitting on some better means of transit that we could have access to but don't (for whatever reason, like we haven't found it yet), it might be a good idea to say something about it now (or get the ball to finding it rolling somehow) before people start getting seriously angry(ier) at each other and we lose some community members over it.
A video guide to healer pets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ejD_9X1io
"Solomon chuckles"

Post Reply