Healer Pets

General Clan Lord discussion

Moderator: CL GMs

Slartibartfast
CL GM
CL GM

Healer Pets

Post by Slartibartfast » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:11 pm

I've been working on pets on and off for a while and they're pretty close to release. Right now they're in a limited test, I was hoping to open it up a bit more than it is now, but there are a lot of bugs, so it's likely to stay small. To answer some frequently asked questions:

1) To start, only healers will be able to get pets. I'll consider some similar system for mystics. Fighters will probably never have them.

2) You can fight with your pet. They'll get stronger as they fight. Their strength will be limited based on how many ranks you have. (They'll always be significantly less powerful than a fighter with similar ranks). The one exception to this rule might be for very young healers, and that's just because I'm not sure I'll have time to implement it that limit. It might be implemented in the future.

3) All pets will have the exact same stats, different pets will be purely cosmetic.

4) I'm hoping to make them available to all healers next release. There are lots and bugs and I'm very busy, so this might slip one more update.

There will (hopefully) be a lot of different pets. Pets will all be created manually, by me, but they're fairly easy to create since it's largely cosmetic differences. Each pet will take 10-30 minutes to create, more if I actually test them, which I probably won't (so be prepared for cats that bark). I've got a few already created, and ideas for a few more, but since pets are a pretty personal thing, I want to open the floor to requests so you've got a chance to get your dream pet from the start.

Please respond to this thread with suggestions, or by PM if you want really want to keep it secret (it's annoying for me to read a bunch of those, so please avoid it). Ground rules: The icons for the pet should already exist, preferably as a monster that already spawns, but not necessarily. I'm open to say, unicorns, for example. Also note that pets will be able to "grow up" as they get stronger, so you can pick up to 4 different icons. For example, a vermine could grow to a large vermine, then a giant vermine, then a dark vermine. So if you're feeling creative feel free make some more complex suggestions along these lines.

Caveats: All suggestions won't necessarily be implemented. Some will be exceedingly rare. You aren't guaranteed to get your exact suggestion. Pets will be available to everyone, not just you. I'm also generally against owning sentient beings as pets. Orgas are probably about the smartest I'm willing to consider.

Also, as a general note, and I'll stress this in other communications, this is still very much an experiment. I feel there aren't enough limitations or costs to pets, and that they're too strong, but I'm releasing them as they are because I'm sure they're fun and useful as they are, and I'm not sure my fears are justified. Very heavy nerfs are possible, one might even say likely. I'll probably write more about my design approach in my blog. And I better not see anyone botting with their pet. Seriously. This is why we can't have nice things.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Re: Healer Pets

Post by Daimoth » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:27 pm

2) You can fight with your pet. They'll get stronger as they fight. Their strength will be limited based on how many ranks you have. (They'll always be significantly less powerful than a fighter with similar ranks). The one exception to this rule might be for very young healers, and that's just because I'm not sure I'll have time to implement it that limit. It might be implemented in the future.
Does this mean their strength will be limited at your total ranks? Like, 1::1 ratio between the two? Or will it be less?

If it's 1::1, I think I might start playing a healer. :- 0
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Slartibartfast
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Slartibartfast » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Daimoth wrote:
Does this mean their strength will be limited at your total ranks? Like, 1::1 ratio between the two? Or will it be less?

If it's 1::1, I think I might start playing a healer. :- 0
Significantly less. And capped at an overall limit. That limit is pretty strong though, in my opinion.

Stonehand
Exile
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf

Post by Stonehand » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Rainbow unicorn pegasus that fights by blasting people with rainbows from it's horn, please.

Edit: please find diagram attached.
Attachments
rainbowunicornpegasus.png
rainbowunicornpegasus.png (152.74 KiB) Viewed 11552 times
Last edited by Stonehand on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your words hurt me more then any amount of horus could heal.

Talk to me!
MSN - son_hamish at hotmail dot com
gTalk - ilikefriendshi at gmail dot com
ICQ - 316592439
Skype - Brlokthlortl
Invite me on hunts any time.

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer

Post by Lorikeet » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Thank you for posting, Slarty. I have been lucky to try out a pet (and I'd want the same one when it's not beta.) But I don't understand "I feel there aren't enough limitations or costs to pets, and that they're too strong, but I'm releasing them as they are because I'm sure they're fun and useful as they are, and I'm not sure my fears are justified. " It seems that a pet might only be useful for a new healer in terms of experience. It's my understanding that you can get experience if your pet tags or kills something that you would normally get experience from. But if you don't get experience from any creatures, you don't get experience from your pet, regardless of whether or not the pet gets experience.

I don't see the problem with new healers getting faster experience. New healers have a lot going against them already. I don't think it will be overpowering to have them get more experience. It's too bad the rest of us don't get some kind of share type experience though. Anyway, it's been fun. It will be interesting to see how it develops.

Oh, and the food isn't working currently.

Hoggle
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Race: Dwarf

Post by Hoggle » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:17 pm

Umm... geeze Slarty, that is some crazily awesome stuff you have going on there. I'm sort of baffled and almost beyond the ability to suggest things...

Almost.

So, random ideas.

Pets getting stronger as they grow up is a really neat idea. It would be kind of cool if in addition to changing 4 times, they could get a new "trait slot" each time they got stronger, so a max of 4 I guess. I'd hope it would be something like the ranger masters quest that you'd have to seek out and find.

Traits could be stuff like:

"Thick skin": Armor-like effect.
"Fast feet": Increased movement speed
"Slippery feet" no-to-little slow-down on webs
"Healer Bond" a few ranks of Rodnus
"Lucky hit" increased luck hits
"Biter" a slightly increased attack speed
"Venomous" a very rare chance to do a DoT "poison" attack like snakes or maybe herpetids and what not.
"Flamey" a very rare chance to do a lava cloak type attack.
"Carnivorous" random chance to gain health upon getting a lastie."
"Roar" a very rare attack that saps balance on attack.
"Tough" some kind of modifier that gives +10% darkus
"Large" some kind of modifier that gives +10% histia
"Scary" some kind of modifier that gives +10 atkus
"Soft paws" 25 skea or something.

and so on!

I'm not sure how this would be done, if they are like exiles maybe its just like having them hold 4 items or something.

Other ideas, umm.. the ability for healers to enter their pets into the coliseum to fight creatures. The ability to have your pet do the animal kill challenges. Maybe some kind of kill type experience for the healer every time their pet ranks.

Thats it for now!
Last edited by Hoggle on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:24 pm

Those are cool ideas Hoggle. Some stat originality and uniqueness would be nice to see in pets.

Maeght
Trainer
Race: Halfling

Post by Maeght » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:09 am

It would be nice if pets provided a nominal amount of experience to the healer that would be cross-sharable.

Pets are awesome, but it would be great if higher level healers didn't have to feel like they were burning lib experience to have fun with their pet.

Frenzymac
Exile
Race: Human

Post by Frenzymac » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:30 am

Thank you alot for this amazing new healer pets, Slartibartfast!

I would request a "Lunar Bear Guardian" from the eastern mountains cave, if this cute blue bear is possible for a healer's pet.

I would also have some questions about healing our pets:
  • 1. Will be all adv. healing tools (cad + lock, areaheal, burst, rhs and potions) allowed on your own pet?
    2. Will it be possible for other healers to heal your own pet with above named?
    3. What happens if your pet get so heavily wounded that it can not be healed anymore?
Thanks in advance for answering these questions.

Kind regards, Frenzy.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:37 am

I want a domestic tabby cat that eventually will grow into an Utsanna Haremau... :- 0

And someone lend me a healer.

Rroot
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Mystic

Post by Rroot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:38 am

The Wanderer Would like a t'rool pet progression that ends in a volkin. (if not a volkin then a surprise or tough looking trool.)
Jack would like a arachnid to arachnoid progression. Low nid to mid noid, malachite if possible.
and Dantalion would like a wurm progression pet ending in LSW.

please and thank you! these would be awesome choices!
Do we need to find you around the lands for pets?
-Hrothgrim 6th• Ranger and OrgaBane! -The Wanderer 5th• Healer (working on horus) -Rroot Apprentice Mystic

Eirian
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance

Post by Eirian » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:23 am

This sounds awesome! Will healers with good skea be able to benefit from that if their pets kill something that drops fur?

I know a healer or two that will need to peruse the bestiary... ;)

Thanks so much for doing this, Slarty!
6/9/10 9:38:37a Eirian Caldwell has fallen to a Dragonfly.
4/14/15 8:53:57p Geotzou says, "i am very patient, except if i have to wait."

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:38 am

Just a couple notes on healing so far:

You can cad your own pet (if you cad) but no ones else's. Bursting doesn't work (yet, I hope). Other healers can moonstone your pet. I don't know about radium. Healers can pull teeth or skin stuff their pet kills.

If your pet dies,you can chain or heal it. If it's too dead, or if you leave it too long, it will eventually be returned to the stables, and you can get it the next time.

Cradlesong
Exile
Profession: Surgeon
Race: Sylvan

Post by Cradlesong » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:43 am

Would love to have a noth or dew to raise. Both have a slew of icons existing for "growth".

To avoid confusion for you Slarty:
1st choice: Noths
2nd choice: Dews
Where do we go from here
Faith is a fading fear
Life is a waiting room
I hope they don't call me soon

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Noths are a sentient being aren't they?