Moderator: CL GMs

Destian
Trainer
Profession: Healer/Slug Wrangler
Race: Human
Player Status: Spambot

Re: Healer Pets

Post by Destian » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:52 pm

Valtrim wrote:I was the one who commented on the video. It's possible that someone will randomly find it on YouTube and wonder what the words mean, unlikely as it may seem. If no one who doesn't play CL finds it, no harm done.
Ah, gotcha.

I didn't want to mention the newbie accel thing in the comments, hence why I mentioned it here instead. :)
A video guide to healer pets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ejD_9X1io
"Solomon chuckles"

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Post by Daimoth » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:54 pm

You have a super badass voice

I'm gonna make a video about bricking, where I talk about not moving the mouse or doing anything in order to be most successful
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Destian
Trainer

Post by Destian » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:26 pm

Daimoth wrote:You have a super badass voice

I'm gonna make a video about bricking, where I talk about not moving the mouse or doing anything in order to be most successful
Thanks, and that reminds me: I wish I had a video of that one time I saw Garr stonegirdling in the middle of the OC, surrounded 6 layers deep with monsters and being blasted with lightning.

Sure, it was mostly stuff that players have been slaughtering for 10 or so years, but it looked badass and would've been great for the section on champions if I ever make the 2nd vid...
"Solomon chuckles"

Dyaus
Exile
Profession: Ranger
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Dyaus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Destian wrote:
Fafnir wrote:Destian seems to have mastered enough of it to be able to write about in the CLUMP.
I pmed Noivad about doing exactly that a while back but I never got a reply. /shrug
I just posted goodies to the CLUMP.

https://www.clanlord.net/clump/index.ph ... ealer_pets

Feel free to PM me with corrections/additions etc.

(I tried to have an actual, you know, clickable link to your YouTube video but it seems that Noivad has disabled external links. So you gotta copy paste from the article. Oh well.)

Destian
Trainer

Post by Destian » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Ah, Noivad just made me an account and I was going to do a writeup when I had the chance, but that looks pretty good.

I'll check over it at some point and see if there's anything I can add.
"Solomon chuckles"

Chmee
Exile
Profession: Ranger
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Chmee » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:09 am

Destian wrote:I'm working on being able to make a living from voice acting alone, but that'll take some time, still.
Cool! Good luck to you!

Tell you a story: back in the 80s I lived in San Diego. Took one of those "Learning Access" (I think that's what it was called) courses. Subject was acting in commercials, some of which was voice acting, taught by a woman who had a school for it in SD. She brought Gordon Jump in as a guest speaker. I decided it wasn't my cup of tea (and besides, I was in the middle of a Navy career) but there were a couple of interesting stories. One was about the woman's eight year old daughter. When she was seven, she did a Century 21 commercial, playing the little girl sitting in the back of the car as it drives up to the family's new house. She had a line: "Look, Mommy, there's our house!" She earned enough from that one commercial to pay for her first year of college. Another: the guy who did the voice of "Parkay" in the commercial where the woman sees the Parkay (margarine) and says "Margarine!" a couple of times, and each time the Parkay tub replies "Butter!", then she says "Butter!" and the tub replies "Parkay!" — that commercial ran for eighteen months, nationwide, and he earned over twelve million dollars for it. Awesome, says I. But I still let it go. :)
Chmee, Ranger, Open Hands.

Destian
Trainer

Post by Destian » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:28 am

Chmee wrote:Tell you a story: back in the 80s I lived in San Diego. Took one of those "Learning Access" (I think that's what it was called) courses. Subject was acting in commercials, some of which was voice acting, taught by a woman who had a school for it in SD. She brought Gordon Jump in as a guest speaker. I decided it wasn't my cup of tea (and besides, I was in the middle of a Navy career) but there were a couple of interesting stories. One was about the woman's eight year old daughter. When she was seven, she did a Century 21 commercial, playing the little girl sitting in the back of the car as it drives up to the family's new house. She had a line: "Look, Mommy, there's our house!" She earned enough from that one commercial to pay for her first year of college. Another: the guy who did the voice of "Parkay" in the commercial where the woman sees the Parkay (margarine) and says "Margarine!" a couple of times, and each time the Parkay tub replies "Butter!", then she says "Butter!" and the tub replies "Parkay!" — that commercial ran for eighteen months, nationwide, and he earned over twelve million dollars for it. Awesome, says I. But I still let it go. :)
That's probably the difference between union and non-union actors.

Once you've reached a certain level of success in your VO career, it's time to join a union which ensures that you HAVE to be paid royalties on any work you do from then on. However, the downside of that is that A) union dues and B) this means you no longer have access to any non-union work.

Basically, I need to get myself to a point where I'm beating away potential work with a stick before I join a union, thus ensuring that I'll still have enough union work that I'd be afloat.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it all works. I need to do some checking and look into it...
"Solomon chuckles"

Destian
Trainer

Post by Destian » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:08 am

Are andvari a known pet type? Just raised one on KB...
"Solomon chuckles"

Sativa
Exile

Post by Sativa » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:08 pm

Bitey the Andvari was located in Metz several times since pets were first made. I hope this helps.

Destian
Trainer

Post by Destian » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Sativa wrote:Bitey the Andvari was located in Metz several times since pets were first made. I hope this helps.
I guess there's no young rockadile pet so he went with an andvari? Heh, kinda neat that a 450 rank healer could be running around with an estuary pet that they acquired with no help...
"Solomon chuckles"

Osito
Exile
Profession: Healer
Race: Halfling

Post by Osito » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:36 pm

Destian wrote:
Sativa wrote:Bitey the Andvari was located in Metz several times since pets were first made. I hope this helps.
I guess there's no young rockadile pet so he went with an andvari? Heh, kinda neat that a 450 rank healer could be running around with an estuary pet that they acquired with no help...
I wish I got a Madzume Andvari pet, or perhaps an Utsanna Haremau....maybe even a Mantuan!

Destian
Trainer

Post by Destian » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:15 am

Osito wrote:
Destian wrote:
I wish I got a Madzume Andvari pet, or perhaps an Utsanna Haremau....maybe even a Mantuan!
That novelty would wear off the moment you get tired of walking around the bugger. ;)
"Solomon chuckles"

Destian
Trainer

Post by Destian » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Still having the issue where a softcap is being treated like a hard cap (ie the pet stays locked to the power of wherever the healer was, rank-wise, when they acquired the pet).
"Solomon chuckles"

Taryn
Exile

Post by Taryn » Wed May 28, 2014 2:34 pm

I've been taking my pet out a lot recently. I even did a rescue with it, east of mid-pass well, when no fighter was available to help. So I have some suggestions on making them even more enjoyable.

a) Generate a "rank" sound when pets get stronger, like the ones when characters get stronger, except say reversing the tones so one knows which is which. Players get a kick out of hearing this, so I think it'd make pets more fun.

b) Generate a fallen message for pets just as for shared characters. I've had my pet fall out of sight and not know it until I left the snell.

c) Introduce a command to ask a pet to cry out. Dogs would bark; cats would meow; mice would squeak. This would be a /yell, and like that could not be repeated for some interval. Not only would this be cute, but it'd allow one to locate a pet one cannot see -- especially if it's fallen.

d) Have different pet collars available when they get much stronger, like fighter circle belts. Players like to show off, so this way they could show off their pets. (It could also be a coin sink.)

e) Allow creatures killed by pets count towards any challenge for the owner. We healers can't do many challenges anyways, because we cannot hit things. This would allow us eventually to try them all!

f) Allow pets to "stay" in a different snell than the owner. I use "stay" to heal up a pet, and it's very annoying when I forget to un-stay the pet and it goes all the way back to the stable. Also, there are many situations when it'd be better if I lured the next snell rather than have the pet enter with me -- the above rescue of mid-pass is an example.

g) Eliminate the 9-minute time limit on rescuing pets (fallen in a different snell). Instead, disconnecting would be sufficient to "revive" a pet in the stable, and would also send an unfallen pet back to the stable if one forgets or cannot get back to where one said to the pet "stay".

h) Allow one to push/pull a pet. This is probably the hardest to implement, given that one cannot currently click on a pet. However, it's a very useful tactic in the field, especially with a fallen, and so would help a healer practice it.

i) Allow healers of any ability to have one. I'm puzzled why this wasn't allowed when pets were introduced, unless the GMs were being cautious.

If the concern is rank acceleration, well newly exiled fighters have much more opportunity for rank acceleration than newly exiled healers. Such fighters can tag better than such healers, so their share is worth more. Groups are often willing to take fighters of any level as long as they can hit, but dislike weak healers because they both fall a lot (thus consuming healer resources) and reduce the number of shares for fighter cross-sharing -- especially if that doesn't leave a share for the senior brick. So if newly exiled healers can use pets to get stronger faster, I consider that a plus. It also keeps them interested in playing.

If the concern is that newly exiled healers aren't strong enough to support a pet, well that will simply mean more need for rescues! Especially if the time limit on rescuing pets is eliminated, groups could rescue pets that a newish healer cannot do themselves.

Having a pet to support can be a good way for a new healer to learn how to heal, as well as focusing their efforts on healing rather than on tagging.

Taryn.

Super Chicken
Noble

Post by Super Chicken » Thu May 29, 2014 11:55 pm

That is the best clan lord tutorial video for the game ever made!
Change your sig to support Chicken Glory!