Healers - the Lack of Them is starting to be a Big Problem

General Clan Lord discussion

Moderator: CL GMs

Is the Lack of Healers negatively affecting you, too?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 39

Sproutfoot
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan
Profession: Botanist
Race: Halfling
Player Status: Active

Re: Healers - the Lack of Them is starting to be a Big Problem

Post by Sproutfoot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Daimoth wrote: Those benefits are so "subtle" I've decided that I'm not going to bother sharing Mystics not on my hunt any more. Their ranks are useless compared to actual community-contributor classes any way.
See, here's the thing Dai:
Sproutfoot wrote: None of those shares are intended to impart XP to a mystic, in fact only the first benefits the mystic whatsoever.

I go on excursions to help out how I can, and to see new things. XP is a distant concern.
Hunts purely for XP bore the snot out of me.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Daimoth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:43 pm

Sproutfoot wrote: Hunts purely for XP bore the snot out of me.
I find it commendable that you even play this game, then. Being that exp is the primary motivator at least the vast, vast majority of the time.
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Sproutfoot
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Sproutfoot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:47 pm

Daimoth wrote:
Sproutfoot wrote: Hunts purely for XP bore the snot out of me.
I find it commendable that you even play this game, then. Being that exp is the primary motivator at least the vast, vast majority of the time.
XP makes my skills more powerful.
However, becoming more powerful is not my motivation. Most times I simply like to see new aspects of the game world.

The vast vast vast majority of the players play fighters to satisfy the motivation you mentioned. Nobody said mysticing was for everyone. :wink:

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:50 pm

Sproutfoot wrote: The vast vast vast majority of the players play fighters to satisfy the motivation you mentioned. Nobody said mysticing was for everyone. :wink:
I don't gain exp to gain more exp perpetually. I gain exp to conquer the previously thought unconquerable, or destroy new areas as fast as possible. I would argue that being a Fighter or Healer makes it much easier to see those new areas or aspects of the game, and contribute more to their fruition.

The only exception is when GMs decide to add a hard requirement of a Mystic to open a door or an illusion. But that's not really a contribution. That's doormanship. That's the laziest way possible to force Mystics to be a part of an expedition, without actually granting them utility.

Sproutfoot
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Sproutfoot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Daimoth wrote: That's the laziest way possible to force Mystics to be a part of an expedition, without actually granting them utility.
I never felt the need to be "forced" to be a part. I follow behind, share the healers, try to stay out of the way of swinging claws/swords/teeth, and give a boost every so often when I see a need.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Sproutfoot wrote: I never felt the need to be "forced" to be a part. I follow behind, share the healers, try to stay out of the way of swinging claws/swords/teeth, and give a boost every so often when I see a need.
Yeah well I wish you could do a lot more. Because the standing around looking like an idiot and waiting for your weaksauce boosts to disappear so you can be active again for 1 second is pretty lame.

That was directed to the generic mystic population, not you specifically.

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger

Post by Maeght » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Daimoth wrote: Yeah well I wish you could do a lot more. Because the standing around looking like an idiot and waiting for your weaksauce boosts to disappear so you can be active again for 1 second is pretty lame.

That was directed to the generic mystic population, not you specifically.
Yeah, that's a fair comparison. A 6k rank fighter complaining that 1-2k rank mystics don't have rank effective boosts for him.

That is indeed lame.

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Profession: Healer
Race: Thoom

Post by Phroon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:15 pm

The stagnation is so high the same arguments are being passed around again and again. As if they will have any effect on the actual game.

Why did I even click on that Sentinel link in the first place?

Athl
Exile
Profession: Ranger

Post by Athl » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:40 pm

Phroon wrote:
You must of been really, really bored.
"Athl has fallen to myrms in his pants."

reckinyards
Noble
Profession: #&$@
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by reckinyards » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:52 am

Phroon wrote:The stagnation is so high the same arguments are being passed around again and again. As if they will have any effect on the actual game.

Cause we hope our points will get across one day and changes will happen
11/2/09 7:02:10p Gustave says, "my fight is very vectorized"

Destian
Trainer
Profession: Healer/Slug Wrangler
Race: Human
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Destian » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:33 am

reckinyards wrote:
Phroon wrote:The stagnation is so high the same arguments are being passed around again and again. As if they will have any effect on the actual game.

Cause we hope our points will get across one day and changes will happen
I've accepted the fact that CL is basically dead at this point. I mean...
-Has the storyline gone anywhere in ages? Is there even a storyline going on? WIthout a story of SOME kind, what's the point?
-The game code is so ancient and brittle that finding a new GM to be healer GM will very likely never happen and none of the old GMs want to do it any longer.
-Level discrepancy and ancient, awful game mechanics ensure that most new players leave and never come back.
-Hunts need to be scheduled or they don't happen, and even then they still sometimes don't happen.
-CL is free to play and STILL not enough people are playing to keep the game at even a bare-minimum population level most of the time.

Does anyone ACTUALLY think things can possibly get better somehow?
A video guide to healer pets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ejD_9X1io
"Solomon chuckles"

Alces
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: *.Stereotype
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Alces » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:45 pm

Destian wrote:Does anyone ACTUALLY think things can possibly get better somehow?
In the short term? Not really (just being realistic), but a constant stream of whiny negativity can only make the situation worse by discouraging the few GMs that still work on things occasionally.

I agree with a lot of what you say in terms of problems that could be addressed to improve things, but do us all a favor and reign in the Emo BS.
Characters on PSA Rank Tracker:
Alces (DPS) - Athran (Brick) - Angadol (Rod) - Abner (Horus) - Ajah (Repairs)
Math, imploring the GMs, wrote:Take bold measures, gentlemen. Save the game.

xepel
Trainer
Profession: Bard
Race: Sylvan

Post by xepel » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:47 pm

Destian wrote:Does anyone ACTUALLY think things can possibly get better somehow?
Make me a GM and I'll fix everything. ;)

(I *do* think things can get better. It takes time and we need more and more active GMs. And Story GMs!)
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"

Destian
Trainer
Profession: Healer/Slug Wrangler
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Destian » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Alces wrote:In the short term? Not really (just being realistic), but a constant stream of whiny negativity can only make the situation worse by discouraging the few GMs that still work on things occasionally.

I agree with a lot of what you say in terms of problems that could be addressed to improve things, but do us all a favor and reign in the Emo BS.
What GMs? And how is pointing out how dead the game is constitute being emo?

What I'm saying here is nothing new, and what's depressing is that what I'm saying here hasn't been new for roughly FIVE YEARS and that I'm probably the 50th person to have said it.

I've emailed Joe about it, who sadly doesn't have an answer when I point out that his goal of raising the game population will never be achieved as long as the original issues that made so many players leave in the first place are left unaddressed.

I loved Clan Lord. It was an amazing game and I'd like to see it not become...well, what it has become. I've tried suggesting that Joe accept money from the players in some form to afford more development. Tried everything. Nothing helps.

I should just do what all of the others who have left have done: accept that CL is dead and move on. Checking back to see if the game has somehow become worth playing again just isn't worth it...
xepel wrote:
Make me a GM and I'll fix everything. ;)

(I *do* think things can get better. It takes time and we need more and more active GMs. And Story GMs!)
I would do it SOOO fast if I could...
A video guide to healer pets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ejD_9X1io
"Solomon chuckles"

Gloria
Noble
Profession: Spiritual Advisor

Post by Gloria » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Destian wrote: -Has the storyline gone anywhere in ages? Is there even a storyline going on? WIthout a story of SOME kind, what's the point?
I am working very hard to eliminate all evil magic in Puddleby! Many people may have their own quests and goals to achieve. Besides that there is the everyday feeling of Puddleby as a town and the sorts of everyday things that happen in a town. Like dressing up in costumes and trick or treating at Tsirrin is a good example of something more everyday that is happening in a town.
Destian wrote: -Hunts need to be scheduled or they don't happen, and even then they still sometimes don't happen.
I have been getting hunts often during my regular clan time. I don't know about the other times, but my time is generally known for being quiet.
Aye'cha wrote:I'm not pulling a Gloria here