Moderator: CL GMs

Xrith
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: mystic
Race: Concealed
Player Status: Spambot

Cloud/Mirror problem

Post by Xrith » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:06 am

Yesterday a group of us tried to get the Cloud over the mirror snell for the better part of 2 hours. We were not successful. I have moved the Cloud before, so this result was unexpected. After many attempts, it seems as though the current Cloud movement ignores the Mirror snell. The Cloud will skip over the Mirror snell as if it were not there.

The conditions were not the best since it was dark and cloudy for much of the attempt, but it seems clear and I was advised by two other exiles that they had similar problems in moving the Cloud.

Many thanks to those who helped move the portal and special thanks for those that moved it back so quickly once the attempt failed.

Talin
Noble
Profession: Healer
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active

Re: Cloud/Mirror problem

Post by Talin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:28 pm

Xrith wrote:Yesterday a group of us tried to get the Cloud over the mirror snell for the better part of 2 hours. We were not successful. I have moved the Cloud before, so this result was unexpected. After many attempts, it seems as though the current Cloud movement ignores the Mirror snell. The Cloud will skip over the Mirror snell as if it were not there.

The conditions were not the best since it was dark and cloudy for much of the attempt, but it seems clear and I was advised by two other exiles that they had similar problems in moving the Cloud.

Many thanks to those who helped move the portal and special thanks for those that moved it back so quickly once the attempt failed.
I heard the portal cannot be moved to mirror snell atm. That the case? Tried to put the portal east of mirror, then west, and let the cloud follow the portal movement?

In other words, are you sure the cloud is the problem and not the portal, or both?

Xrith
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Xrith » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:43 pm

Talin wrote: I heard the portal cannot be moved to mirror snell atm. That the case? Tried to put the portal east of mirror, then west, and let the cloud follow the portal movement?

In other words, are you sure the cloud is the problem and not the portal, or both?
It's the Cloud or the Mirror snell. The portal enters the Mirror snell without problem.

As it happens, my first Cloud move started in T'rool Town while the portal was still in it's normal location. As Cloud moved north, I announced that it would be over the Mirror snell soon. When people arrived, it was already 1N of the Mirror. A group was formed to move the portal and they placed it in Mirror. This began the long period of trying to get the Cloud into Mirror snell. It would start 1 snell away and then move to 1 snell away in the opposite direction.

There was confusion and it was dark and cloudy, but I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the Cloud and that snell.

If anyone is interested in testing it more thoroughly, I'm willing to put in the time.

warawonda
Exile
Profession: Mystic

Post by warawonda » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:22 pm

the cloud was moving too slowly to go across a snell, from what i saw.
the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer; enter clanlord, and they wonder why no one new joins and stays on

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:05 pm

warawonda wrote:the cloud was moving too slowly to go across a snell, from what i saw.
Then why did it jump to the other side?

Mjollnir
Noble
Profession: Healer/Alchemist

Post by Mjollnir » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:38 pm

Maybe it's me recalling it wrongly but I was under the impression (formed years ago when the cloud was still new) that the cloud wouldn't enter the same snell as a portal so you had to park to portal off to the side and drive the cloud almost there
A good pun is its own reword

Athl
Exile
Profession: Ranger
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Athl » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:20 am

It's happened a few times now when a group of us have tried to gain access. I hope something can be figured out or fixed. :-)
"Athl has fallen to myrms in his pants."

Xrith
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Xrith » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:46 am

Mjollnir wrote:Maybe it's me recalling it wrongly but I was under the impression (formed years ago when the cloud was still new) that the cloud wouldn't enter the same snell as a portal so you had to park to portal off to the side and drive the cloud almost there
I tested and invalidated this theory just now. The cloud is now directly above south town and if you do a /sky next to the portal there, you can see the cloud above.

warawonda
Exile

Post by warawonda » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:38 pm

Xrith wrote:
Mjollnir wrote:Maybe it's me recalling it wrongly but I was under the impression (formed years ago when the cloud was still new) that the cloud wouldn't enter the same snell as a portal so you had to park to portal off to the side and drive the cloud almost there
I tested and invalidated this theory just now. The cloud is now directly above south town and if you do a /sky next to the portal there, you can see the cloud above.
maybe its only mirror snell.
the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer; enter clanlord, and they wonder why no one new joins and stays on

Borzon
Arilon Legacy
Arilon Legacy
Profession: Bloodmage
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Borzon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:51 am

We tried that.

warawonda
Exile

Post by warawonda » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:21 am

Borzon wrote:
We tried that.
remember it can only move toward the green sparkles you had it above the snell not below it.

Insanelife
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Ranger
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by Insanelife » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:15 am

So do you think we should put the portal in brambles then and bring the cloud in from north of mirror? Will that work?

Xrith
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Xrith » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:42 pm

Insanelife wrote:So do you think we should put the portal in brambles then and bring the cloud in from north of mirror? Will that work?
I guess I wasn't clear enough in my description. Sorry about that. When I first attemped to move the Cloud, which was in T'rool Town, the portal was in its normal spot in south town. It was still daytime so I could observe the progress towards the portal. I checked very frequently, frequently enough to know that the Cloud skipped over the Mirror snell on its way north.

I'm happy to help with the test you suggest though.

Talin
Noble

Post by Talin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:09 pm

The portal has been moved into the mirror snell a gadzillion times, the cloud followed into the same snell, up to recently.

Gloria
Noble
Profession: Spiritual Advisor
Race: Halfling

Post by Gloria » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:17 pm

It looks like this problem was fixed?
v720 wrote:A navigation problem with the flying island has been repaired: certain valid destinations that had inadvertently become unreachable (notably over the South Forest mirror) should now be accessible again. Happy Landings!
Aye'cha wrote:I'm not pulling a Gloria here