Moderator: CL GMs

Mjollnir
Noble
Profession: Healer/Alchemist
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Spambot

Healer Ideas blatently stolen from D&D

Post by Mjollnir » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:21 am

I know we don't want to turn CL into a carbon copy of some other game but I'm going to throw out these ideas that I got from reading the D&D Cleric's spell list and see what people think.

Consecration
Requires 2-5 healers, item based, when healers heal each other in sequence it defines an area on the ground that becomes consecrated, people standing in this area will be healed for X amount, the areas persists for Y seconds after the healers break the sequence.
Basically 2 healers would set up a healing corridor, 3 a triangle, 4 a square, 5 a pentagon (healers would need to be sharing each other, if you wanted to expand it you could say they only need to share the people on the adjacent points and it could grow to as many healers as you've got), once the area has been defined healers can go back to their regular healing duties.

Prevent Decay
A healer can prevent further damage to a fallen (this idea does lend itself to a channelled ability but i'd prefer to see it more as a secondary spirit drain) either preventing or at least offsetting damage caused by scavengers, rocks, fire, acid etc, it won't make the fallen any less dead but will prevent them from becoming more dead, so a healer with quick reflexes might be able to prevent somebody who falls from becoming unraisable from attacks that targetted them while they were still alive.

There are a few other abilities I picked out but I think most of them have been suggested before such as becoming insubstatial, overhealing, detecting fallens (short range), healing poison, crowd control, splitting damage
A good pun is its own reword

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling
Player Status: Active

Re: Healer Ideas blatently stolen from D&D

Post by Maeght » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:06 am

Mjollnir wrote:I know we don't want to turn CL into a carbon copy of some other game but I'm going to throw out these ideas that I got from reading the D&D Cleric's spell list and see what people think.

Consecration
Requires 2-5 healers, item based, when healers heal each other in sequence it defines an area on the ground that becomes consecrated, people standing in this area will be healed for X amount, the areas persists for Y seconds after the healers break the sequence.
Basically 2 healers would set up a healing corridor, 3 a triangle, 4 a square, 5 a pentagon (healers would need to be sharing each other, if you wanted to expand it you could say they only need to share the people on the adjacent points and it could grow to as many healers as you've got), once the area has been defined healers can go back to their regular healing duties.
Ever watch a group of fighters try to circle up? :-)
Mjollnir wrote: Prevent Decay
A healer can prevent further damage to a fallen (this idea does lend itself to a channelled ability but i'd prefer to see it more as a secondary spirit drain) either preventing or at least offsetting damage caused by scavengers, rocks, fire, acid etc, it won't make the fallen any less dead but will prevent them from becoming more dead, so a healer with quick reflexes might be able to prevent somebody who falls from becoming unraisable from attacks that targetted them while they were still alive.
A Horus healer can already do this.

It seems to me that both of these suggestions are end arounds on normal healer training. The first is a set amount of healing over time that isn't tied to core training and the second bypasses Horus in some cases.

Mjollnir
Noble

Post by Mjollnir » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:35 am

Maeght wrote:Ever watch a group of fighters try to circle up? :-)
Well most healers already share the other healers on a hunt anyway so that bit isnt a problem although yes getting them to recognise right we're going to form an area might be.
A Horus healer can already do this.

It seems to me that both of these suggestions are end arounds on normal healer training. The first is a set amount of healing over time that isn't tied to core training and the second bypasses Horus in some cases.
Well up to a point, even our best library horus isn't going to stop a fallen who is being pounded by rocks from getting deader and a) it wouldn't circumvent horus any more than a healer with quick reactions healing them up before the rocks hit, b) it wouldn't raise them if they didn't have the horus to begin with and c) it would still require a healer to actually use the ability otherwise the fallens are just going to become more fallen.

(Then there's always the argument that anything that cuts down on the number of people who get into these situations will cut down on the number of library horus characters)

As for the first not relying on core training, there's nothing to say X and Y can't be determined by core training, I just didn't want to get into which trainers would be the best ones to draw from although if you pushed me to it id say it would be average healing of the people who set it up modified by some sort of penalty for it being an area.

Maeght
Trainer

Post by Maeght » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:08 am

Mjollnir wrote: Well up to a point, even our best library horus isn't going to stop a fallen who is being pounded by rocks from getting deader and a) it wouldn't circumvent horus any more than a healer with quick reactions healing them up before the rocks hit, b) it wouldn't raise them if they didn't have the horus to begin with and c) it would still require a healer to actually use the ability otherwise the fallens are just going to become more fallen.

(Then there's always the argument that anything that cuts down on the number of people who get into these situations will cut down on the number of library horus characters)
Mjollnir wrote: Prevent Decay
I'm confused. This ability allows a healer with quick reflexes to stop damage they couldn't heal either because they don't have enough Horus or they don't heal fast enough?

I often throw healing at fallens in a web area to try to give them some survival room just in case they get nailed by stray web.

I have nearly 800 Faustus but that isn't even close to what it would take to keep up with extra bolts/rocks/webs that hit a fallen. But it sounds like this ability would let me negate far more damage than my healing skills could ever do.

I understand the advantage of the ability. I just don't get why it should be there. Seems like it would take all the risk out of rodding.

Mjollnir
Noble

Post by Mjollnir » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:52 am

Maeght wrote: I'm confused. This ability allows a healer with quick reflexes to stop damage they couldn't heal either because they don't have enough Horus or they don't heal fast enough?

I often throw healing at fallens in a web area to try to give them some survival room just in case they get nailed by stray web.

I have nearly 800 Faustus but that isn't even close to what it would take to keep up with extra bolts/rocks/webs that hit a fallen. But it sounds like this ability would let me negate far more damage than my healing skills could ever do.

I understand the advantage of the ability. I just don't get why it should be there. Seems like it would take all the risk out of rodding.
An example

Fighter A is fighting Mud Golems in Melabrions Tower, he gets hit by a mudball at very low health and is immediately mutilated, as there are other people still fighting the golem there is a reasonable chance that Fighter A will still be hit by more mudballs/rocks or attract co'atcha. Healer B doesn't have the horus to raise Fighter A outright and as such any time spent targetting him is wasted but she has a preservus wand so she uses that on him instead which pits her training (whether that's core training or a special trainer is up for debate) against any further damage that Fighter A may sustain (at a cost of extra spirit loss/reduction in faustus whatever) to prevent or at least reduce that extra damage. So Fighter A will remain at best mutilated and require Healer C to help raise them but because of Healer B's actions won't also require Healers D E and F.

So it would only be usable on fallens not living people which means it has no effect on rodding.
It would be a continually acting ability effectively increasing the fallens health between rocks which would then be reduced by the extra damage being taken.

Just to pull some theoretical numbers out of the air;
Fallen A has an effective health of -300 health, a rock hits him every 20 seconds for another 100 damage, Healer A using a preservus wand would "heal" the fallen for 5 health per second, if Healer A uses the ability 5 seconds after Fallen A falls by the time the first rock hits he would have built up a safety margin of (15*5) 75 health meaning the rock only does 25 damage instead of 100, if the ability keeps healing then by the time the second rock hits they will have been healing for 20 seconds since the last round of damage and have built up a safety margin of 100 health so the rock effectively does no damage. If Healer B also "heals" at 5 health per second then in 20 seconds they would have built up a safety margin of 200 health however this extra health pool has no effect on the actual health of Fallen A so he would still have -300 health (- whatever extra damage was not blocked by the preservus wands) and would need however much horus to raise as that takes at any other time.

Obviously the more rocks/webs/lightning that hit in a short space of time the harder the healer(s) would have to work to prevent the extra damage so if 6 bolts of lightning hit the fallen doing 1500 extra damage to a fallen and Healers A and B have only just used their wands and given him a safety margin of 10 extra health then Fallen A will still drop down to an effective health of -1790 health.

Clear?

Maeght
Trainer

Post by Maeght » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:13 am

So can you use the wand and still use another healer tool?

Mjollnir
Noble

Post by Mjollnir » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:18 am

Maeght wrote:So can you use the wand and still use another healer tool?
If I had my way you would yes :P

Edit: Unless of course we get some non channelled healer abilities such as heals over time

terise dumiroir
Fresh off the Boat

Post by terise dumiroir » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:37 pm

Maeght wrote:
Mjollnir wrote:I know we don't want to turn CL into a carbon copy of some other game but I'm going to throw out these ideas that I got from reading the D&D Cleric's spell list and see what people think.

Consecration
Ever watch a group of fighters try to circle up? :-)

Mais oui.

Perhaps I do not fully comprehend Mjollnir's hypothesis but Open Hands have done something similar some time ago with the CoG.

Where healers with various differing abilities assembled in a small area (some Horus, some Rod, some Backpack), around which the fighters made circle for both proximity healing and to provide protection for healers. With a strong fighter to the front to brick, other fighters peeled off to tag or destroy monstres in an ordered fashion and return to the corridor for healing as required and therefore not fall. Alors, there was some consecrated ground. It allowed us to fight and prevail in places where we would have otherwise fallen.

Respectfully,

Terise.
"The danger is not in the glass itself, but in the Image..." - Stephen Donaldson

Chmee
Exile
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Chmee » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Bonjour, Terise!

Been a long time. :-)

I remember the CoG. Every so often I mention it to the folks I usually clan with these days. They ignore me. :lol:

CoG saved our butts a time or two. Once, in toks, when everyone fell but Myriah. She managed to get Boris up, and we prevailed!
Chmee, Ranger, Open Hands.