General Clan Lord discussion

Moderator: CL GMs

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Moving to new server on Feb 16th evening

Post by Eldon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:08 pm

Mark you calendars! We're moving!

We are planning on moving to the new server on the evening of February 16th. We'll announce it all in-game, but what will happen is that we'll make an announcement, save the current status of everyone, then it'll be a Wild Tuesday after that. We'll then copy all of the current data to the new server and restart it. Then, we'll announce that everyone should log off the old server and log into the new one at server2.clanlord.com Once we're content that all's well, we'll give the old server a burial at sea or something.

Later on, I'll request an DNS change and then sometime over the next few days, you should change back to server.clanlord.com
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Re: Moving to new server on Feb 16th evening

Post by Eldon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:02 pm

I hope everyone is having a good time during this Wild Tuesday!

We just submitted the DNS change. Shortly, server.clanlord.com will point to the new server.

If it's not, you can still get there by entering server2.clanlord.com: File->Preferences->Setup Proxy...->Check "Use a Proxy Server" and enter: server2.clanlord.com:5010

But, you'll eventually want to replace server2 with server. I don't expect propagation to take more than an hour or so.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Natas
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Natas » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Neither seem to work for me.

Diomedes
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Champion
Race: Human
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Diomedes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:01 am

Eldon wrote:Mark you calendars! We're moving!

We are planning on moving to the new server on the evening of February 16th. We'll announce it all in-game, but what will happen is that we'll make an announcement, save the current status of everyone, then it'll be a Wild Tuesday after that. We'll then copy all of the current data to the new server and restart it. Then, we'll announce that everyone should log off the old server and log into the new one at server2.clanlord.com Once we're content that all's well, we'll give the old server a burial at sea or something.
Sounds good Eldon. Just curious, can you give us any information on the new server? How does it compare to the old server? Much better or just somewhat better?

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:44 am

Diomedes wrote:Sounds good Eldon. Just curious, can you give us any information on the new server? How does it compare to the old server? Much better or just somewhat better?
It's now on a hosted VM running Linux versus running on a 10 year old Mac Mini. We (and by 'we', I mean I watched in awe our ServerGM do the work) ported our server code from Mac OS X (32 bit) to a 64 bit Linux. We've also increased the security and we seem to have increased the versatility of our tools for updates and other behind-the-scenes things. (I'm still learning the ropes on this.) And, oh, we cut the hosting price drastically.

Anecdote: I re-downloaded the complete code repository last night and I thought it had hung. But, it had actually finished the download so quickly that I just thought there was a problem. Wow. Welcome to the year 2005, baby! Wait a minute...
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM

noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active

Speaking of Linux

Post by noivad » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Speaking of Linux, will there ever be a linux client?
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Re: Speaking of Linux

Post by Eldon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:44 pm

noivad wrote:Speaking of Linux, will there ever be a linux client?
I doubt it. :(

(Sorry I messed up your post on my first try.)
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Re: Speaking of Linux

Post by Cinnamon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Eldon wrote:
noivad wrote:Speaking of Linux, will there ever be a linux client?
I doubt it. :(
Why so sad? Miniscule niche markets that attractive?
Where's the Amiga client? :twisted:
This sig pic removed by Vagile

Desdemona
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Desdemona » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:04 pm

Thanks for all your hard work on this, GMs!

Couple of minor comments, not about gameplay but other things:

The time that it shows in-game is about 27 ic hours off from what it shows according to WoD time (for example, when I just signed on, in game it showed 7:14 pm on Sombdi, day 37 of Spring, 578; WoD showed around 10 pm, Fordi, day 36 of Spring, 578.
reckinyards wrote:Where can i purchase a panda that wields a metal bamboo stick and stuns people by bashing them with it

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:21 pm

Desdemona wrote:Thanks for all your hard work on this, GMs!

Couple of minor comments, not about gameplay but other things:

The time that it shows in-game is about 27 ic hours off from what it shows according to WoD time (for example, when I just signed on, in game it showed 7:14 pm on Sombdi, day 37 of Spring, 578; WoD showed around 10 pm, Fordi, day 36 of Spring, 578.
We're working on that. It's a "feature" of the Unix flavors that time works one way on Mac OS X compiled in Code Warrior, another if compiled in Xcode, while other Unix flavors did a whole 'nother thing. So, we had hooks to correct that for this server version but forgot to activate them in this version. :oops: I don't think we'll need a restart, but let's see.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM

Starsword Eojek
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Starsword Eojek » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:00 am

Yay, Linux.