Announcing ....

General Clan Lord discussion

Moderator: CL GMs

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Re: Announcing ....

Post by Eldon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:55 pm

ServerGM thinks he's perfected his DMG-building script. Would some kind folks please download it here and provide feedback?

If it works as intended, we'll roll out a DMG for future updates.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active

Post by noivad » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:48 pm

Eldon wrote:ServerGM thinks he's perfected his DMG-building script. Would some kind folks please download it here and provide feedback?

If it works as intended, we'll roll out a DMG for future updates.
You're a version ahead :) can't test but it looks okay.
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

Gil-Galad
Pirate Clan
Pirate Clan
Profession: Healer
Race: Human

Post by Gil-Galad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:11 am

Works for me.
Arr, pirates rule!
Michael wrote:A quadruple amputee dragging his ass across the keyboard has a higher chance of making a valid point than Maeght does.

mrfancypants
Exile

Post by mrfancypants » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:25 am

Looks good (although I didn't try launching the app).

What about a Windows installer for the Windows client? Right now it's not very Win-friendly, either.

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Race: Thoom

Post by Phroon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:31 am

mrfancypants wrote:Looks good (although I didn't try launching the app).

What about a Windows installer for the Windows client? Right now it's not very Win-friendly, either.
But it is portable; as in I can put it on a USB stick and not have to 'install' it on every computer I use.

Aldernon
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone

Post by Aldernon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:17 pm

Phroon wrote:

But it is portable; as in I can put it on a USB stick and not have to 'install' it on every computer I use.
I agree with Phroon. I hate windows installers. Proper software should be portable. I opt for the portableapp version of every piece of software I use (if it's available.) (Portable Putty, Portable Filezilla, Portable GIMP, Portable Audacity, etc etc)
-Ald

"Applying epistemological transformations to dismiss information that isn't presently convenient to you is the reason people distrust self-professed intellectuals: because it's bullshit." -Skirwan

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™

Post by Phroon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:19 pm

Aldernon wrote:
Phroon wrote:

I agree with Phroon. I hate windows installers. Proper software should be portable. I opt for the portableapp version of every piece of software I use (if it's available.) (Portable Putty, Portable Filezilla, Portable GIMP, Portable Audacity, etc etc)
I should say that it might edit the registry, but I really don't care that much about leaving no traces on the machine I'm sitting at.

It not spreading it's files everywhere, and not being in Add/Remove is good enough for me when I'm at a Windows comp.

mrfancypants
Exile

Post by mrfancypants » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:16 pm

I think it'd be fine to keep it as a self contained folder with the app and such, but that's not how the average windows user thinks about installing a program. 90% of Windows users, gamers included do this (with some slight variation):

1) Download an .exe from a website.
2) Run the .exe, which installs a bunch of crap into Program Files\<program>\, a bunch of crap into the registry, a shortcut in Start -> Program Files
3) .exe offers to make a shortcut on the desktop and to launch of the program now before completing the install.

As far as I'm concerned, doing all of that without mucking around in the registry should be sufficient. It keeps the game portable if you want it to be, but appeases your average user who isn't used to the mac style of drag and drop apps.

Really, if you want to increase the player base, the biggest player base uses Windows, and most of them will find the current install package (as of the last time I tried to use it) unintuitive and frustrating.

shiner
Exile
Profession: I hit things
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Spambot

Post by shiner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:03 am

mrfancypants wrote: Really, if you want to increase the player base, the biggest player base uses Windows, and most of them will find the current install package (as of the last time I tried to use it) unintuitive and frustrating.
I thought unintuitive and frustrating was what the Windows interface was all about!

/pp Did I just say that out loud? /pp

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:15 am

So...anyway...did the DMG work? Did anyone have a chance to download it, copy the folder to some directory, and run the application? I'm curious if it works as it's intended - to allow new players an easy download and way to get started.

Thanks.
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Michael
Trainer

Post by Michael » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:59 am

So who are we emailing for account issues now? I forgot the account password to my 2nd account and the portal isnt resetting it for me.

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:21 pm

Michael wrote:So who are we emailing for account issues now? I forgot the account password to my 2nd account and the portal isnt resetting it for me.
You're welcome to use the Contact Us page. It sends an email to Joe at joe (at) deltatao (dot) com
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™

Post by Phroon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:54 pm

Eldon wrote:So...anyway...did the DMG work? Did anyone have a chance to download it, copy the folder to some directory, and run the application? I'm curious if it works as it's intended - to allow new players an easy download and way to get started.

Thanks.
I'd test, but I'm on dial up. I still have bits leftover from the ClanLord CD. :mrgreen:

noivad
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan

Post by noivad » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:29 pm

Eldon wrote:So...anyway...did the DMG work? Did anyone have a chance to download it, copy the folder to some directory, and run the application? I'm curious if it works as it's intended - to allow new players an easy download and way to get started.

Thanks.
If the dmg was linked on the main page and labeled beta more could test it. I had to have a friend re-download the client last week -- she could have tested it if it was on the main page. I downloaded the .dmg and it worked fine once v582 was out.
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:37 pm

noivad wrote:If the dmg was linked on the main page and labeled beta more could test it. I had to have a friend re-download the client last week -- she could have tested it if it was on the main page. I downloaded the .dmg and it worked fine once v582 was out.
Think of this as pre-beta. :)
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM