Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Re: Announcing ....

Post by Fogtripper » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:07 pm

Eldon wrote:
Fogtripper wrote:Dropshadow for a white background. Easily changed if (when) the banner color is changed.

I'd suggest lining up content more neatly, limit text styles, remove underlines from non-links, and make links more consistant. The current design is clumsy and all over the place. (my clients are up front with me, and I am passing on that bluntness to you...for free!)
I've no idea what half of what you said means. :)

This is the basic OsCommerce website that many companies use. Except for the first page's HTML, all of the clumsy interface is directly from them. If you have some HTML code suggestions, I'll gladly take them. Seriously. I suck at HTML. Note, though, that Joe wants a very simple first page. I've tried to that. You'll have to do that too.

I chose OsCommerce because it's been vetted many times over. That's not to say it's perfect, but it's open source and has been reviewed many times by people from the world-over. I've been impressed with their degree of PHP and database security, but, you know, it's still PHP and MySQL. :)

P.S. - I like your logo! Check out the new one that I just uploaded. I hope the artist gives me permission to use his name.
I'll not even begin to pretend I know much about HTML* (I limit myself to graphics and print design). Just pointing out some basic design thingimabobs. I could fudge around in dreamweaver for a day or two, but those who actually know their html might be able to clean up the overall look in a fraction of the time.

Now, if you wanted the links to be graphics, I could be all over that 8)

(*Does not help that my work mac (lappy G4) is dead in the water, waiting for the box from Applecare)
Last edited by Fogtripper on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoggle
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Post by Hoggle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:11 pm

Why doesn't the scroll go all the way across it? (behind the Clanlord portal text since I assume thats what you are talking about)
I'm looking at it going "cool!... hey. wait.. where are you going?? aw man your gone now I'm stuck with boring words again.."

I bet the scroll DID go all the way across, but you nerfed it!

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether

Post by Fogtripper » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:15 pm

Hoggle wrote:Why doesn't the scroll go all the way across it? (behind the Clanlord portal text since I assume thats what you are talking about)

I'm looking at it going "cool!... hey. wait.. where are you going?? aw man your gone now I'm stuck with boring words again.."

I bet the scroll DID go all the way across, but you nerfed it!
I like the subtle way the "account portal" text uses the color from the scroll (or is that old toilette paper?). Now if that color can be carried over to replace the blue areas on the page...
(I bet that's an easy tweak to the style sheets)

edit: I am getting a headache trying to figure out what the graphics are on the upper right corner.
Last edited by Fogtripper on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeepers
Exile

Post by Jeepers » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm

I think the scroll needs to be increased in size north/south, or the text made smaller.

Also, omg kern pls. I get fired for kerning like that. :D
Chernobyl Thoom!

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Race: Halfling
Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Post by Jazz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:24 pm

Fogtripper wrote:That sure is...a design. :wink:
Uhm... since when has CL ever been about pretty graphics? :P

I like it!
Bang a rang!

meph
Maximum Rankage

Post by meph » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:40 pm

Daimoth wrote:Oh I was too busy staring at the potential deletion of characters to remember to thank you guys a lot. Big improvement.

are you referring to the deleted-after-6-weeks-of-inactivity part?
"I don't do drugs. I am drugs." - Salvador Dali

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Skirwan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:02 pm

Eldon wrote:
Skirwan wrote:
Eldon wrote:Go ahead and try it. All inputs are smart-quoted. :)
So you're giving us permission to search for vulnerabilities?
Would you not do it if I told you not to? ;)
No, I most certainly wouldn't. Why on earth would I have asked otherwise?
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:49 am

Well done! And with the years of preparation time that DT has had, clearly they're ready to hit the streets with that marketing campaign.
This sig pic removed by Vagile

shiner
Exile
Profession: I hit things

Post by shiner » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:58 am

Is there some reason this was not posted in the next level up Announcements section. It might get a bit more attention there.

Gremlins
Fenix Fire
Fenix Fire
Profession: Fallen

Post by Gremlins » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:21 am

shiner wrote:Is there some reason this was not posted in the next level up Announcements section. It might get a bit more attention there.
I agree that it is/was not very visible where it is. Still good job to all involved :)
Chum wrote:Do not attempt to apply logic to matters regarding Clan Lord; it'll just drive you nuts... ;)

Kani
Red Quill
Red Quill
Race: Sylvan

Post by Kani » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:50 am

shiner wrote:Is there some reason this was not posted in the next level up Announcements section. It might get a bit more attention there.
It should probably be double-posted. I imagine it was posted here because the Announcements section of the forum is only open to posting by GMs, and Eldon wanted feedback.
The obstacle is the path.

Hidden
Wusscare(tm)

Post by Hidden » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:08 am

Looks great, but I can't log in with either of my accounts (I quadruple-checked that I'm using the exact same username and password I put into the Character Manager). I get the following error:

Code: Select all

Error: No match for E-Mail Address and/or Password.
The e-mail address I have on file is almost certainly an outdated one which got nixed when I stopped paying for my old web hosting, so I can't request that the system tell me what it THINKS my password is. Any ideas?
Carpe diem via scrotum.

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:08 am

PayPal IPN has problems. It's what we're using to process credit cards securely.

I'm finding that sometimes, PayPal IPN is saying that some of your credit card information is incorrect. However, Joe later gets an email saying things were okay after all. As a result, some of your orders aren't being processed in real time. Since the announcement, there have been 5 that have been delayed this way. The other 15 orders (about) have been okay. If it would later report back inline (and not just via email) and say things were okay, I could automatically do things still. But, as things stand, it'll have to be manual. I guess that the high point is that there's now an order number and all the info for Joe to process is right there (as opposed to the days of emails going back and forth with info).

So, if you're one of the 5 outstanding folks and have not gotten an immediate time credit or extra character or whatever, please let Joe know as much info as you receive from PayPal. Maybe I can track this problem down yet. In the end, we may have to choose another service. :(
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Super Chicken
Noble

Post by Super Chicken » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:11 am

Woot! MY account expired an hour ago, ergh the grace period did, and i couldn't log on anymore! So i went to Eldon's magical CL payment page, and WHAMO! I get back into the game instantly... just like a real MMORPG!
Change your sig to support Chicken Glory!

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:52 am

Super Chicken wrote:Woot! MY account expired an hour ago, ergh the grace period did, and i couldn't log on anymore! So i went to Eldon's magical CL payment page, and WHAMO! I get back into the game instantly... just like a real MMORPG!
Ooh, a testimonial from a satisfied customer.