iClan 1.2 Available

General Clan Lord discussion

Moderator: CL GMs

User avatar
Aldernon
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:20 am

Post by Aldernon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:19 pm

Skirwan wrote:
Sala Dragon wrote: It was an opt-in database. I wish I could remember who hosted it or what it was called though.
I really hope we're not talking about that little stunt 'Worg' pulled, where he consolidate ICQ information in order to figure out which characters were played by the same people. That ticked me off.
Couldn't be talking about that one, it WASN'T opt-in.
-Ald

"Applying epistemological transformations to dismiss information that isn't presently convenient to you is the reason people distrust self-professed intellectuals: because it's bullshit." -Skirwan

Sala Dragon
Exile
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:13 pm
Contact:

Post by Sala Dragon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:06 pm

Aldernon wrote:
Skirwan wrote:
Sala Dragon wrote: It was an opt-in database. I wish I could remember who hosted it or what it was called though.
I really hope we're not talking about that little stunt 'Worg' pulled, where he consolidate ICQ information in order to figure out which characters were played by the same people. That ticked me off.
Couldn't be talking about that one, it WASN'T opt-in.
Oh. After doing some looking on it, that definitely -was- the list I was talking about. I'd completely forgotten about it being only nominally opt-in, with all the privacy issues and controversy over the extra information added that wasn't related to the ICQ.

Well. Part of what he did was a good idea.

User avatar
Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Posts: 3718
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:58 pm
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active
Contact:

Post by Lorikeet » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:48 pm

Did iClan lose all the markings for fighter/healer/mystic/etc. or is it just me? And how can I fix it?

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Posts: 2971
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:39 pm
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive
Location: SNN Planar News Headquarters
Contact:

Post by Skirwan » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:07 pm

Lorikeet wrote:Did iClan lose all the markings for fighter/healer/mystic/etc. or is it just me? And how can I fix it?
Did you hide the profession column? (View > Columns > Profession)
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

User avatar
Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Posts: 3718
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:58 pm
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active
Contact:

Post by Lorikeet » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:03 pm

Yep I did. Thanks. Looked under preferences; didn't think of looking under View.

User avatar
noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Posts: 3327
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:04 pm
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active
Location: SF Bay Area
Contact:

Re: iClan 1.2 Available

Post by noivad » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:14 pm

Hey Skirwan. I had an App called Bezelunk try to launch in Lion today, and since it's powerPC the OS refused to open it. It came up unexpectedly, so I'm not sure what called it. I thought that because of the "-lunk" suffix it might be one of yours. I can't seem to find it though. You also mention Bezelunk in this thread.

I checked the console and only found this:

9/11/11 2:35:00.035 PM com.apple.coreservices.uiagent: Sep 11 14:34:59 MBP.local CoreServicesUIAgent[16253] <Notice>: Application failed to launch (id = Bezelunk, version = Unknown reason = kLSNoRosettaEnvironmentErr)

Edit:
I did a find in the terminal and found this: /Users/noivad/Library/Widgets/Clan Lord Informer.wdgt/Bezelunk.app/Contents/MacOS/Bezelunk . So, is this Rieger's responsibility or yours? I looked at the app info and it's © Sean Kerwin, 2005
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Posts: 2971
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:39 pm
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive
Location: SNN Planar News Headquarters
Contact:

Re: iClan 1.2 Available

Post by Skirwan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:35 am

Bezelunk was a tiny program I wrote up for Rieger to embed in his widget that let it display the translucent black message boxes with the stylized CL portal. Doesn't surprise me it was compiled PPC -- was coded before the MacIntel dev tools were even available, as I recall.

Cursory search indicates I no longer have the source, which doesn't really surprise me.

I don't have the dashboard widget around to experiment with, but I suspect you can work around the problem by either:
  • Turning off the bezel alerts in the widget (assuming it can do that, I honestly don't recall)
  • Viewing the source to the widget and commenting out the lines invoking Bezelunk (it's all just JavaScript, right?)
  • Replacing Bezelunk.app/Contents/MacOS/Bezelunk with an empty shell script (pretty sure that would work, but as I say I can't test)
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

User avatar
noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Posts: 3327
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:04 pm
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active
Location: SF Bay Area
Contact:

Re: iClan 1.2 Available

Post by noivad » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:35 pm

Skirwan wrote:Bezelunk was a tiny program I wrote up for Rieger to embed in his widget that let it display the translucent black message boxes with the stylized CL portal. Doesn't surprise me it was compiled PPC -- was coded before the MacIntel dev tools were even available, as I recall.

Cursory search indicates I no longer have the source, which doesn't really surprise me.

I don't have the dashboard widget around to experiment with, but I suspect you can work around the problem by either:
  • Turning off the bezel alerts in the widget (assuming it can do that, I honestly don't recall)
  • Viewing the source to the widget and commenting out the lines invoking Bezelunk (it's all just JavaScript, right?)
  • Replacing Bezelunk.app/Contents/MacOS/Bezelunk with an empty shell script (pretty sure that would work, but as I say I can't test)
What did/does Bezelunk actually do? I haven't done anything other than find it, and the widget seems to still work.
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Posts: 2971
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:39 pm
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive
Location: SNN Planar News Headquarters
Contact:

Re: iClan 1.2 Available

Post by Skirwan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 pm

noivad wrote:What did/does Bezelunk actually do?
All it does is put up the translucent gray box with the portal icon and a message.

If you've got a pre-Lion machine, you can actually trigger it from the command line, I think:
/path/to/Bezelunk.app/Contents/MacOS/Bezelunk *Skirwan\ is\ now\ Clanning (No\ he\ isn\'t\ I\'m\ just\ kidding)

(That's from memory and I don't have a Leopard machine nearby to verify with, so I that may not be quite right.)
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

User avatar
Drablak
Exile
Posts: 544
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:58 pm
Profession: Mystic
Race: Thoom
Player Status: Spambot
Contact:

Re: iClan 1.2 Available

Post by Drablak » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Skirwan, when are you going to do an iPhone version of iClan? Pretty please!

Although, the name iClan is already taken by another app...

Thanks again for iClan btw.
Cinnamon wrote:The actual concept of an overpowered Mystic registers as an oxymoron.

User avatar
Athl
Exile
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:41 pm
Profession: Ranger
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: iClan 1.2 Available

Post by Athl » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Is there a version made for windows at all?
"Athl has fallen to myrms in his pants."

User avatar
warawonda
Exile
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:39 pm
Profession: Mystic
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Spambot
Location: Puzzle Island

Re: iClan 1.2 Available

Post by warawonda » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:33 am

Athl wrote:Is there a version made for windows at all?
i also would like to see this, even if someone else makes it.
any chance of open source?
the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer; enter clanlord, and they wonder why no one new joins and stays on

User avatar
noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Posts: 3327
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:04 pm
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active
Location: SF Bay Area
Contact:

Re: iClan 1.2 Available

Post by noivad » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:46 pm

warawonda wrote:
Athl wrote:Is there a version made for windows at all?
i also would like to see this, even if someone else makes it.
any chance of open source?
Skirwan has stated he has no intention of making an iClan for Windows for several reasons: one of those reasons is that he does not own or use Windows. He has stated the feed is standardized XML(?) and that anyone with the Windows programming chops could easily make one though. Until then there is always the website with basically the same info, but not the compactness nor other cool iClan features.
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

User avatar
warawonda
Exile
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:39 pm
Profession: Mystic
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Spambot
Location: Puzzle Island

Re: iClan 1.2 Available

Post by warawonda » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:55 am

noivad wrote:
warawonda wrote:
Athl wrote:Is there a version made for windows at all?
i also would like to see this, even if someone else makes it.
any chance of open source?
Skirwan has stated he has no intention of making an iClan for Windows for several reasons: one of those reasons is that he does not own or use Windows. He has stated the feed is standardized XML(?) and that anyone with the Windows programming chops could easily make one though. Until then there is always the website with basically the same info, but not the compactness nor other cool iClan features.
sorry top Dev of IClan!
doesn't stop the demand for it.
and its not hard to get you hands on window where are plenty of FREE LEGAIL copy's there windows 8 beta that's free

and im guessing he has an Intell core mac now, so there would have no problem doing it hes just a windows hater, there is no reason for NOT to be done.

just doesn't want to.

if its so hard for him why not open source it.
the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer; enter clanlord, and they wonder why no one new joins and stays on

User avatar
noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Posts: 3327
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:04 pm
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active
Location: SF Bay Area
Contact:

Re: iClan 1.2 Available

Post by noivad » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:02 am

There's one very good reason aside from whether or not he cares for windows: you haven't paid him to make it. Toss a few bucks in the direction of a Windows developer. Windows and Mac UI construction are very different, and to assume that any programmer that knows one, then automatically knows the other is like your parents saying that the generic soda is exactly the same thing as Coke. Or your relative that was born in another country foolishly thinking that school is just a place for learning and that you couldn't possibly need those designer jeans for home room… get what I'm saying?
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

Post Reply