Skirwan, I think I love you.

noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active

Post by noivad » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:45 am

Phineas wrote:Just throwing in my two coins on the compliments, Skirwy. Sweet work!
That reminds me. There is a paypal link on the iClan home page.... (cough, cough)

:P
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling

Post by Maeght » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 pm

I just downloaded iClan and its a very smooth piece of software.

I wonder if it would be possible to develop a complementary program that would allow people to entering potential clanning times and let everyone access that, with similar threshold detection as iClan. I realize that this is a completely different function, but it addresses the same problem: how to get people together.

I have this wierd subjective feeling of everyone watching their iClan app waiting for something to happen.

:-)

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Skirwan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:00 pm

Maeght wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to develop a complementary program that would allow people to entering potential clanning times and let everyone access that, with similar threshold detection as iClan. I realize that this is a completely different function, but it addresses the same problem: how to get people together.

I have this wierd subjective feeling of everyone watching their iClan app waiting for something to happen.
If we were all playing Skirwan Lord, there were be something like iClan built into the client, and you'd be able to be 'partially logged on' or 'sitting in the library' -- you'd show up in a secondary players list, and you'd be able to send and receive sunstone messages without actually being logged in. This would let people inform the world that they're 'on deck' to clan without actually logging in.

Of course this would require both client and server modifications, so I suspect we're out of luck. I probably stand more of a chance of obtaining the source code to the Windows kernel than I do of getting ahold of the CL server source.

In the meantime, it might be possible to rig a crude imitation of this sort of thing by running my own iClan messaging server and having copies of iClan connect to it (strictly opt-in, of course). I'll think about it. The real sticking point is bandwidth, specifically my desire not to pay for bandwidth.

And any in-depth thinking along these lines would wait until my current project is done, of course.
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling

Post by Maeght » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:21 pm

Yeah, I was afraid of the server need issue.

Any way to tap into instant messaging/IRC channels and rig some kind of peer to peer solution?

I'm not looking to prod for a solution, just hoping there's a quick fix that would work well enough.

I tihnk lots of folks are on iChat/AIM/ICQ already, but in small cliques that are fragmenting.

Sala Dragon
Exile

Post by Sala Dragon » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:40 pm

Maeght wrote: I tihnk lots of folks are on iChat/AIM/ICQ already, but in small cliques that are fragmenting.
There used to be a directory that listed clanners' ICQ numbers, but I don't know what happened to it... I'd love to see a directory again or something.. I lost all my contacts a while ago after a client switch.

(56348318 is me, heh)

HWC Sala

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:23 am

Is there anything for those of us without 10.3.9? I keep trying the clstatus link that DT is 'hosting'. Always busted. It worked quite regularly when it was hosted on faircraft, take it back?

Kerrah
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Champion
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Kerrah » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 am

Sala Dragon wrote:
Maeght wrote: I tihnk lots of folks are on iChat/AIM/ICQ already, but in small cliques that are fragmenting.
There used to be a directory that listed clanners' ICQ numbers, but I don't know what happened to it... I'd love to see a directory again or something.. I lost all my contacts a while ago after a client switch.

(56348318 is me, heh)

HWC Sala
No way would I want a directory of people's ICQ numbers made available. If someone wants my ICQ or AIM, they can ask me, and vice versa for me if I want to contact someone else. I'm not exactly too secretive about giving out my ICQ number, but I want to maintain my control over who gets it and who doesn't.

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Skirwan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:57 am

Cinnamon wrote:Is there anything for those of us without 10.3.9? I keep trying the clstatus link that DT is 'hosting'. Always busted. It worked quite regularly when it was hosted on faircraft, take it back?
What browser are you running, Cinn? I've never noticed it down except around updates.

http://www.deltatao.com/clanlord/status/

Anyhoo, Faircraft is Rieger. I'm strictly on the client side of the equation for the time being.
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:09 am

I run it in IE on my PC. Evil! Yes I know. It used to work fine, then DT took over hosting and it worked intermittantly, lately it's dead showing 0 exiles in the lands. I figured since the page loads, then the problem is back-end in the data that's being sent to the page.

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Skirwan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:24 am

Cinnamon wrote:I run it in IE on my PC. Evil! Yes I know. It used to work fine, then DT took over hosting and it worked intermittantly, lately it's dead showing 0 exiles in the lands. I figured since the page loads, then the problem is back-end in the data that's being sent to the page.
No, the back-end data (you can check it yourself here) is usually up and running unless it's update day or there's been a crash.

It's possible there's a bug in the JavaScript that only manifests on IE. Not really my bailiwick - have you talked to Rieger?

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Lorikeet » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:26 am

Kerrah wrote: No way would I want a directory of people's ICQ numbers made available. If someone wants my ICQ or AIM, they can ask me, and vice versa for me if I want to contact someone else. I'm not exactly too secretive about giving out my ICQ number, but I want to maintain my control over who gets it and who doesn't.
That's why my ICQ number is available on my posts and yours isn't. I'm sure whatever they are talking about would have an opt in feature.

(Mine is 33524428 btw)

Tigger
Violent Fens

Post by Tigger » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:09 am

Great work, Skirwan, the new "secret" (shhhh!) client is really exciting and your dev blog is interesting. One thing, do you have a link to the original "Industrial Strength Pluggable Factories" article by Timothy Culp? The link to the GameDev article that references it works, but the link from there to the original article is dead and I can't seem to find it via Google. The GameDev article assumes you have already read the original article on the design pattern so I don't understand what it does (of course I don't know C++ either, hopefully it can apply to C/Obj-C). TIA
Proud member of Violent Fens, Thoomcare Affiliates, and Maximum Coinage!

Sala Dragon
Exile

Post by Sala Dragon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:41 pm

Kerrah wrote:
Sala Dragon wrote:

(56348318 is me, heh)

HWC Sala
No way would I want a directory of people's ICQ numbers made available. If someone wants my ICQ or AIM, they can ask me, and vice versa for me if I want to contact someone else. I'm not exactly too secretive about giving out my ICQ number, but I want to maintain my control over who gets it and who doesn't.
It was an opt-in database. I wish I could remember who hosted it or what it was called though.

-HWC Sala

[Edit] Hmm, wow I'm getting OT. Uh, iClan rocks? Thanks Skirwan.

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Skirwan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:19 pm

Tigger wrote:One thing, do you have a link to the original "Industrial Strength Pluggable Factories" article by Timothy Culp?
Google Cache to the rescue!. It's in there now, but it might not be an hour from now. PM me if you miss it, I think I have the page downloaded somewhere.

Pluggable factories are probably of limited general utility, but they're one of those really nifty patterns that I've always wanted a chance to use <G>. Truth be told it would probably be just as easy to have a big switch statement... but I'm enjoying myself, and they also make for an architecture that can be easily extended and repurposed in the future.
Sala Dragon wrote: It was an opt-in database. I wish I could remember who hosted it or what it was called though.
I really hope we're not talking about that little stunt 'Worg' pulled, where he consolidate ICQ information in order to figure out which characters were played by the same people. That ticked me off.

Any Big-Brotherly features that may or may not be added to iClan or any other program of mine in the future will be strictly opt-in. It really pisses me off when programs feel the need to dial home with a bunch of personal information.