Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive

iClan 1.2 Available

Post by Skirwan » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:21 pm

http://seankerwin.org/iClan/

If you like Intels, Afrit, Mystics, or clocks, you'll probably want the new version.
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active

A lil' bug...

Post by noivad » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:11 pm

cooloness.

I found a small bug. While you're dragging a window, if you get it too near a corner, it will snap to it, as expected, but it will keep doing it if you drag it away too slow, leading to the pointer being an inch or two from the drag point -- usually off the window. I've seen this error before in a program. I wish I could remember which one, so I could point you at the developer who already wrote the fix.

It's a cool feature though, but I think the "snap to" distance should be about half of what it is.

From the release notes:
"Noivad rocks. But I think we all knew that already."

At least somebody recognizes. (^=

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Profession: Healer
Race: Thoom

Post by Phroon » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:31 pm

Noivad, those are clearly features!

However, I do agree that iClan does seem to stick a bit sooner than other sticky windows.

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Re: A lil' bug...

Post by Skirwan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:42 pm

noivad wrote:While you're dragging a window, if you get it too near a corner, it will snap to it, as expected, but it will keep doing it if you drag it away too slow, leading to the pointer being an inch or two from the drag point -- usually off the window.
Good point. I'll take a look.
noivad wrote:It's a cool feature though, but I think the "snap to" distance should be about half of what it is.
Hrm. I played with a bunch of different values, this was the one I found least annoying. Maybe I'll make it configurable.
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

Ootog
Clan Destine

Post by Ootog » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:11 pm

Any way to have the widget list who's out of the lib?
We were never here!!

Frog
Exile

Post by Frog » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:18 pm

Friend clanning seems to be very delayed. Look into that, skirbot.
Zynx wrote:So he is better than me at something. :(

Theo
Exile
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Theo » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:34 pm

Skirwan, your 2 existing projects sound awesome, makes me wish I could afford a newer mac that is actually useful and can run 10.4 instead of my good ol' 9 yr old mac that barely works anymore, and can only run 9.
(Not to mention keeping up my CL account every month)

I just finished reading the post you wrote on your project still in development, and it sounds pretty awesome.

Keep up the good work.

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Skirwan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:44 pm

You'll have to talk to Rieger about the widget, it's his baby.

iClan checks the data feed for updates every 60 seconds. The data feed gets updated every... I don't actually know. The end result is that if you're currently clanning, iClan will almost always be behind the client. In a perfect world, iClan would integrate with the client. The world may be perfect someday, but it isn't today.

It's very unlikely that any of my stuff will make it back to OS 9. It would require me to relearn a whole lot of stuff that I was rather pleased to forget.

And thanks, I think my next project will be pretty cool too. And Stylunk always wanted a brother. <G>

Theo
Exile
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Theo » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:51 pm

Maybe you can try using VS to make a PC edition of Stylunk or something ;) I'd even offer to help with it, except I don't know anything about .Net and only have VS 6.0.
I haven't even used my old mac in over a year, last time I tried it refused to read cds and it wouldn't work with my internet set up anyway.

Axell
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Axell » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:58 pm

Thanks Skirwan for iCLan 1.2.

Maybe a little suggestion: switch to Growl (http://growl.info/) for the notifications.

Axell

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Skirwan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:26 pm

When my MacBook arrives and I can run Visual Studio at a speed somewhat greater than 'glacial', I might take a look at what a Windows equivalent would take. I make no promises.

I looked at Growl and was ultimately underwhelmed; you can either force your users to install growl along with your app, or you can write your app to use Growl if available and otherwise fall back on your own implementation. Choice 'A' is a needless imposition on your users - and if I'm going to have to implement my own notifications for choice 'B' anyway, what's my motivation for also taking the time to figure out Growl? It also doubles the amount of testing needed, and I just don't feel right dropping that much work on poor Phroon. <G>

Besides, the notification bezel I implemented for iClan turned out to be useful - it became the little 'Bezelunk' tool that's embedded in recent versions of Rieger's status widget. And it may also find a place in a future project of mine.

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:45 pm

I really like the new version of iClan.

One suggestion I have is to remove the icon for preferences. I keep hitting it when I meant to expand/contract the list. I can always just use the menu to access the Preferences.

Great job!
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Race: Thoom

Post by Phroon » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:18 am

Skirwan wrote:It also doubles the amount of testing needed, and I just don't feel right dropping that much work on poor Phroon. <G>
Truth be told, I'm upset because you don't have enough bugs. :twisted:

Implementing new features creates new bugs! Get on it!

(Oh right, the other project will have more bugs than Skirwan can count [oh, that's not that many. hrm])

Phineas
Red Quill
Red Quill

Post by Phineas » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:33 am

Just throwing in my two coins on the compliments, Skirwy. Sweet work!

Tas Furrfoot
Fresh off the Boat
Race: Halfling

MacTel

Post by Tas Furrfoot » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:40 pm

Seems to run great on my iMac (MacTel). I don't know specifically how to tell if something is running in rosetta or not, but works well.

Tas
-----

Tas Furrfoot
Dwarven Militia, formerly Rat Bastard, formerly L&S, formerly Hearts of Tan
exiled 9/2000 (OOC)