Announcing CL status/events in real time

General Clan Lord discussion

Moderator: CL GMs

Would you run a CL Status widget if it were available?

Yes.
50%
Yes, but I don't have Tiger yet.
36%
No, but I think it's a good idea.
5%
No. I'm opposed to the whole idea.
7%
Other? (explain below)
2%

Total votes: 103

rieger
Exile

Post by rieger » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:52 am

Agreed. The new data feed is broken for some reason. Risa's essentially retired now, so only Ann can resolve this. Hopefully it's something simple to fix.

Ann
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Ann » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:06 am

It looks like http://www.deltatao.com is having disk-quota problems, so the XML file isn't being uploaded properly. I'm back in town now and I'll see what I can do. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Edit: I cleared off a little space, so the XML file should be updating properly again, at least for a while. I'll work on a long-term solution to the disk space problem too.

Ann

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Skirwan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:29 am

Three cheers for Ann!
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

Lisette
Clan Hunter
Clan Hunter

Post by Lisette » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:12 am

Apparently http://www.faircraft.com/clstatus/CLStatus.html still works. (Even when CL Informer is/was not)
Never trust the advice of a man in difficulties. - Aesop

Ann
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Ann » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:13 pm

I believe that's showing ratehr outdated information now. Unfortunately I see that http://www.deltatao.com's disk is full again, which points to more nefarious happenings than I'd thought before. I'm investigating now.

Ann

rieger
Exile

Post by rieger » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:32 pm

Bear (bare?) with us as we work out the kinks. There are multiple copies of the widgets, apps and Web pages out there that point to the old and new data feeds neither of which is 100% reliable at this point. Consider this a second beta. If you don't like uncertainty, wait a week or two and try again.

Rieger

Ann
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Ann » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:59 pm

Okay, I think we're back in business. Collecting 80,000 spam messages totalling 750 MB in 11 days is a bit frightening, but we think we've got it taken care of.

Ann

Seld'kar
Noble
Profession: Ranger
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Seld'kar » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:34 pm

Is this player generated spam?
I think having an opinion makes you an asshole.

Ann
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Ann » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:25 pm

The regular ol' email kind. Don't ever get your own domain name. :? (Or if you do, keep an eye on your email settings when you're moved to a new machine.)

Ann

noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active

Widget a hog?

Post by noivad » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:20 am

I ran the widget for a bit, but it seemed to be a RAM hog when left running. I noticed my processor usage shot up when it was in the dashboard. I just checked it and the messages are in the 700 minute range of oldness. weird. Anyway, until the RAM usage is addressed I'm not running the widget.

Turalyon[DaTz]
Noble

Post by Turalyon[DaTz] » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:27 pm

Just had a quick idea. I wonder what people will think of it.

I currently use the webpage to monitor who is clanning and who isn't (on a PC). Would it be possible to have a "login" feature when you are checking the stats on the webpage so people in game know who is paying attention?

Let me explain a bit better. I go to the webpage to check to see who is on, but first I have to login as "Turalyon". Now that I am logged in, I can check to see what is going on. Anyone who has the webpage or widget running and is logged in will be listed on the page as watching (kind of like "users browsing this forum"). Also, maybe add a special section to the player list to see who is logged into the site but not playing.

I have no clue how much programming work it would take to get done, but this could be a very useful tool in many situations (almost an official sinstone if given certain abilities).

Seld'kar
Noble
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Seld'kar » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:40 pm

Make loging in optional you wouldn't want to get your freinds hopes up when you were just checking the status from work.
I think having an opinion makes you an asshole.

Skirwan
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Bloodmage
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Skirwan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:49 pm

Turalyon[DaTz] wrote:I have no clue how much programming work it would take to get done [...]
A fair amount.

It would be neat though.
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

rieger
Exile

Post by rieger » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:14 pm

A new version of the widget is available at http://faircraft.com/clstatus/clanlordinformer.wdgt.zip

This version 1.1.1.

1. Includes a graphical pop-up thingie (provided by Skirwan which he developed for iClan) when player-contributed alerts are received.
2. Includes a proper icon (thanks to Skirwan for this too).
3. Fixes the bug where the "Speak exile/congrats message" checkbox preference wasn't persistent. (Try it now Eldon.)

Rieger

Monolith The Good
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Monolith The Good » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:04 pm

iClan and Clan Lord Informer are both very cool. :D

I'd love to see something that combined those features with an Algy Cam like view.
Monolith The Good aka Monolith The Merely Adequate or just Monolith