Very serious House and Mannequin Bug

General Clan Lord discussion

Moderator: CL GMs

Manx
Exile

Very serious House and Mannequin Bug

Post by Manx » Thu May 05, 2005 10:17 pm

Some of us have been experiencing a very serious house and mannequin bug. I have had 8 of my mannequins go missing twice now, with all their clothes on them. These items later appear in other people's homes. I have also had duplicate items show up in my home that did not belong to me.

I am extremely upset by this bug, because I have a lot of very, very rare and expensive clothing items, some with unusual dye combinations. My wardrobe took me many, many years to accumulate and create, and it's worth in excess of 500,000 coins. To have my clothes just poof and appear in other people's possession is something that should be a priority fix for the house/mannequin GM.

No offense to any of you that benefit from this bug by getting "bonus" items that you didn't purchase and place in your home, but you have not rightfully earned them and need to turn them in. Please do the right thing and /bug any items that don't belong to you that happen to show up in your house.

I bought two houses and moved all my clothing from storage because the mannequins were such a great addition to the game, but if this keeps happening, I'm gonna ditch the house and mannequin thing altogether and demand full refunds on everything and go back to storing my valuable wardrobe items.

PLEASE FIX THIS!

Odesseus
Rising Claw
Rising Claw

Post by Odesseus » Thu May 05, 2005 11:04 pm

500,000 coins... ?!?

*blink*

Yow. I'd build a vault for em!
Be nice or I'll eat you. >:"E

Cinnamon
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan

Post by Cinnamon » Fri May 06, 2005 4:23 am

Are you sure the Minis aren't just posing as mannequins and then jumping out the window?
This sig pic removed by Vagile

HabbakukLal
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant

Post by HabbakukLal » Fri May 06, 2005 5:55 am

Too freakin' bad--they're mine now. Bwahahaha.
You know ... I have one simple request. And that is to have megamouths with freakin' laser beams attached to their heads!

Eldon
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Eldon » Fri May 06, 2005 6:31 am

I've sent this to the GM list for full exposure. (Pun intended.)
Eldon, a Clan Lord GM
Cinnamon wrote:I think you're one of the best GMs I've ever been frustrated with. 11 years & counting. I'm a loyal CL addict & you're a big part of why. For being willing to stick your chin out, many thanks.

Sor
Sun Dragon Clan
Sun Dragon Clan
Profession: Healer
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Post by Sor » Fri May 06, 2005 7:34 am

Odesseus wrote:500,000 coins... ?!?
*blink*
Had I known before, I would have looked for Manx's wardrobe to auction it off!
Sor

Manx
Exile

Post by Manx » Fri May 06, 2005 8:11 am

Odesseus wrote:*blink*
Heheh.

Some people are extreme rankwhores. I happen to enjoy being an extreme fashionwhore. Yeah, I'm proud of those few pixels of garish colors I own. It's one of my favorite CL features.

The mannequins are such an awesome addition to the game, finally allowing a person to change an outfit without spending 20 minutes and a purseful of coins in the storage lockers. I just wish they weren't so buggy.

Tinker GM
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Tinker GM » Fri May 06, 2005 10:22 am

I need more information.

When I was investigating this before, and spoke with you in the lands, you said everything was okay with your house and that the items had reappeared if you left your home and reentered. That is a much less serious bug. Now it sounds like you are saying that the mannequins never come back. If that's the case, I wish you'd made it clear when we were talking before. The item duplication is bad, but if you are actually losing your mannequins that's *really* bad. I'd be pretty upset too. So, which is it? I made some changes to try to help with this, but since it seemed to be minor I didn't ask for the game scripts to be fixed mid-update. It sounds like maybe I should.

BTW, do you know if these mannequins you lost were in your home over an update boundary (the time when we shut down the server to move to the next update)?

Also, if anyone has information on people who have been obtaining free stuff and selling it, or if you have yourself, please let me know. I'll make it worth your while. You can send me a private message on this forum, or email tinker at admin.clanlord.com.

Tinker

Manx
Exile

Post by Manx » Fri May 06, 2005 1:02 pm

Well, it has happened to me three times now. The first time it happened, my mannequins did not come back. ClientGM recovered them for me by going back and retrieving the data. I spoke to you several days ago about the first incident, and I do not recall ever telling you at that time that my items reappeared when I left and reentered. I did mention that the person who told me my items appeared in his house said my items poofed when he left his house and reentered.

The second time it happened to me (last night), all of the mannequins were gone. I left and went to check my other house, and the mannequins were gone from that house also, but every single stick of furniture from my first house was duplicated in my second house. When I reentered the first house, the mannequins were back. When I reentered the second house, the furniture was gone and the mannequins were back. Since I'm assuming the code only recognizes house key numbers and not character database info, I'll also assume that when my items poof, they are still reappearing in other people's homes besides mine.

I also overheard a conversation in town where someone said they got a clothing item they were wearing due to a "house bug". I don't know if that person was kidding or not, but from what I've witnessed it's possible.

I'm not afraid that I will lose these items. I know DT will replace them if something happens to them this way. I just intensely dislike the idea of others having free access to dupes of my very hard earned and special items.

Manx
Exile

Post by Manx » Fri May 06, 2005 1:22 pm

To clarify:

I cannot recall if the bug happened before the last update or not. I'll try to look back in my records.

The first time it happened, my mannequins and clothing did not reappear. They were recovered for me by ClientGM after I frantically /bugged it.

A few days later a person told me all of my dressed mannequins appeared in his new house when he was moving in, but disappeared when he left and reentered.

On saturday, I overheard someone in town tell me they got a clothing item they were wearing from a "house bug".

Last night, my mannequins were gone again when I entered my house. I left and went to check my second house, where those mannequins were missing also, but the duplicated furniture appeared.

Upon leaving and reentering my two houses last night, all the items in both homes were back to normal.

If it's happened to me three times, I can hardly imagine it's not happening to other people who own houses.
[/i]

Tinker GM
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Tinker GM » Fri May 06, 2005 4:42 pm

I still don't understand the cause of the bug, but Ann and I have added the safety checks I mentioned into the current update. This should (at a minimum) prevent people from getting duplicate items, and prevent actual item loss. Mysteriously disappearing items that reappear when you leave/reenter may still be an issue. But in any case, the scripts are now different, so if anyone sees this bug (or any related behavior) again please let me know. It's quite possible my safety checks have fixed it altogether.

Okay, let me review the facts here, and please correct me if I've got something wrong:

1) Currently you are not missing any items, but the bug can result in that.
2) Some other people have duplicates of some items. Those people should tell me so I can fix things, or else will get punished if I find out. I'll give rewards for turning these people in, unless they turn themselves in.
3) Last night, when this bug ocurred, it left your house with all of the regular furniture present, but the mannequins missing.
4) You then left and went to your other house, where the mannequins were also missing, but the regular furniture was present. So far, no mannequins have appeared in either house. However, all the non-mannequin furniture from your first house was duplicated here, even though it also appeared in your first house previously.
5) So you went back to your first house again, and everything was as it should be. Mannequins and regular furniture all in their proper places.
6) You then went back to the second house, and everything was fixed there as well.

Is that all correct? If not, please correct me.

Also, I'd like to better understand how this bug manifests, so I have a few questions:
1) When do you see this bug? Do you simply enter your house, and then notice that the mannequins are missing? Or are you in your house and then they disappear?

2) Have you ever noticed regular (non-mannequin) furniture missing? I know it can apparently appear duplicated in the wrong home, but have you ever entered a home and seen anything *other* than mannequins missing?

Regards,
Tinker

Manx
Exile

Post by Manx » Fri May 06, 2005 6:01 pm

Tinker GM wrote:Okay, let me review the facts here, and please correct me if I've got something wrong:

1) Currently you are not missing any items, but the bug can result in that.
2) Some other people have duplicates of some items. Those people should tell me so I can fix things, or else will get punished if I find out. I'll give rewards for turning these people in, unless they turn themselves in.
3) Last night, when this bug ocurred, it left your house with all of the regular furniture present, but the mannequins missing.
4) You then left and went to your other house, where the mannequins were also missing, but the regular furniture was present. So far, no mannequins have appeared in either house. However, all the non-mannequin furniture from your first house was duplicated here, even though it also appeared in your first house previously.
5) So you went back to your first house again, and everything was as it should be. Mannequins and regular furniture all in their proper places.
6) You then went back to the second house, and everything was fixed there as well.

Is that all correct? If not, please correct me.
1. correct
2. I can't say with certainty whether anyone actually has duplicate items right now. All I know for certain is that at least one person saw my items appear in his home and when he exited and reentered, they were gone.
3. correct
4. correct
5. correct
6. correct
Also, I'd like to better understand how this bug manifests, so I have a few questions:
1) When do you see this bug? Do you simply enter your house, and then notice that the mannequins are missing? Or are you in your house and then they disappear?

2) Have you ever noticed regular (non-mannequin) furniture missing? I know it can apparently appear duplicated in the wrong home, but have you ever entered a home and seen anything *other* than mannequins missing?
1. It happens when I've been clanning for a while. Sometimes I have to equip my key to get in, and when I enter they are already missing. I have not seen them vanish while I'm in the house.

2. I do not recall seeing any non-mannequin furniture missing in either house. Only clothed mannequins.

zen
Temple of the Moon
Temple of the Moon

Post by zen » Fri May 06, 2005 10:26 pm

I tell you what.

If Slyph's bikini appears on my mannequin, I'll return it and notify you, but not until I've sketched myself in various positions wearing it!

Woot! Uber sexy Zo! The Admiral's got nothing on me! OOGA!
Carpe Occultum via scrotum.

HWC Sareth
Exile
Location: Out hitting even more critters, so I can become one. heh.

Post by HWC Sareth » Sat May 07, 2005 1:31 pm

Dear Gaia! You'll stretch it out so bad Slyph will never wear it again!

(Or will have room for entire bullion bricks to be tucked into the straps...)
The result of the deliberations of all collective bodies must necissarily be a compound, as well of the errors and prejudices as of the good sense and wisdom of the individuals of whom they are composed.
-Alexander Hamilton

Kazik
Exile

Post by Kazik » Thu May 12, 2005 1:00 pm

A mannequin appeared on top of one of my bookshelves wearing forest green pants and a bards belt. I took the belt but got bored pretty quickly and /drop /mined it for it to poof. When I exited my home the mannequin wasn't there when I re-entered