Arindal Java client to play Clan Lord on a PC

General Clan Lord discussion

Moderator: CL GMs

Aldernon
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone

Postby Aldernon » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:56 am

Aldernon wrote:
Bob the Archer wrote:Id be very intrested to know if someone is sucesfully running the java client on a Linux platform.

I hope to test this this week. I'll post my findings if I actually get around to trying it out.

Well, I have CL running on a Red Hat 8 box. It's a test development box I never got around to reinstalling after I went live w/ my production server. It's installation is several years old, 128mb, amd k62 550mhz processor.

CL is unplayable on this machine. I'm not sure why, could be numerous reasons, but my ping times are great however the latency through the Java Client is horrendous. We're talking 7-10 seconds easily before movement commands are recognized and the character moves. I'm planning a new installation on the same machine. We'll try it again then.
-Ald

"Applying epistemological transformations to dismiss information that isn't presently convenient to you is the reason people distrust self-professed intellectuals: because it's bullshit." -Skirwan

Theo
Exile
Profession: Healer
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Spambot

Postby Theo » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:13 am

Java client eats up every piece of ram it can find, upgrading my computer from 128mb of ram to 512mb of ram, I saw a huge difference in speed and less client slow downs/crashes, still not non-existent though. With my old ram setting, it used to slow down or freeze up with a lot of people or things on the screen, water and healing really made it worse. now only water and a lot of healing slow it down. With my current ram, I pulled off a small noids hunt using Theo as the only healer, and I only had to restart the app 3 times.
I don't know if processor speed is an issue, mine is 2gb, upgrading my ram really helped the client run a little smoother. Well, I use Win XP also so... no clue with Linux ;)

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Postby Lorikeet » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:53 am

Don't know if you have the latest version. The Javaclient GM posted this this morning:

"Changes in BUILD 2005-04-12.1:

* fixed a *huge* memory hole "

Aldernon
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone

Postby Aldernon » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:01 pm

Lorikeet wrote:Don't know if you have the latest version. The Javaclient GM posted this this morning:

"Changes in BUILD 2005-04-12.1:

* fixed a *huge* memory hole "

Not sure either, just downloaded and installed this afternoon though.
-Ald

"Applying epistemological transformations to dismiss information that isn't presently convenient to you is the reason people distrust self-professed intellectuals: because it's bullshit." -Skirwan

lordfirebird
Fresh off the Boat

Postby lordfirebird » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:29 pm

So, I'm trying to get the java client to work under my Gentoo Linux system just to see if it will work, and I'm able to get the client up and running, but when I attempt to connect I get

Code: Select all

Can't connect to server!

RhineMaiden:RhineMaiden

RhineMaiden is the "name" of my computer or more specifically, it's the hostname. I tried a bunch of different ways (setting it directly in the proxy settings, etc) but none worked.

Anyway, below is the output of the Java Web Start Console from when I start to when I try to connect. Maybe it'll be of some assistance. -FB

Java Web Start 1.4.2-01 Console, started Sun Apr 17 23:24:07 PDT 2005
Java 2 Runtime Environment: Version 1.4.2-01 by Blackdown Java-Linux Team
Arindal: false
jar:file:/home/firebird/.java/.deployment/javaws/cache/http/Dwww.arindal.com/P80/DMdownloads/DMjava/RMarindal.jar!/messages_english.lang
jar:file:/home/firebird/.java/.deployment/javaws/cache/http/Dwww.arindal.com/P80/DMdownloads/DMjava/RMarindal.jar!/messages_german.lang
null
null
Missing string in english language file: Quit
UDP closed?!
java.net.UnknownHostException: RhineMaiden: RhineMaiden
   at java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost(InetAddress.java:1191)
   at arindal.aJ.c(Unknown Source)
   at arindal.aJ.a(Unknown Source)
   at arindal.aJ.b(Unknown Source)
   at arindal.by.f(Unknown Source)
   at arindal.by.b(Unknown Source)
   at arindal.by.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1786)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1839)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:289)
   at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1113)
   at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$MouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:943)
   at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5100)
   at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:4897)
   at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:1569)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3615)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1627)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3477)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:3483)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3198)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3128)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1613)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:456)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:151)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:145)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:137)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)
Including file: Default
UDP closed?!
java.net.UnknownHostException: RhineMaiden: RhineMaiden
   at java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost(InetAddress.java:1191)
   at arindal.aJ.c(Unknown Source)
   at arindal.aJ.a(Unknown Source)
   at arindal.aJ.b(Unknown Source)
   at arindal.by.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1786)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1839)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:289)
   at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1113)
   at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$MouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:943)
   at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5100)
   at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:4897)
   at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:1569)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3615)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1627)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:3483)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3198)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3128)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1613)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:456)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:151)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:145)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:137)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)
Including file: Default

Tigger
Violent Fens

Postby Tigger » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:24 am

lordfirebird wrote:

Can't connect to server!

RhineMaiden:RhineMaiden
I don't understand why it seems to be calling your machine the "server", or why it needs to connect to it. Shouldn't it be looking for the DT CL server instead? Java's INetAddress.getLocalHost() should always return your local host name, I wonder why it's not using getHostByName(<cl server address>).
Proud member of Violent Fens, Thoomcare Affiliates, and Maximum Coinage!

lordfirebird
Fresh off the Boat

Postby lordfirebird » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:44 pm

Yeah, seems that way. Should that function return something different, or something that would be more expected, under a Windows system? (like "localhost" maybe?)

Has anyone got it working yet on a linux box? If so, what distro? And if so, what's your hostname?

G'luck! -FB

Aldernon
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone

Postby Aldernon » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:58 pm

lordfirebird wrote:Yeah, seems that way. Should that function return something different, or something that would be more expected, under a Windows system? (like "localhost" maybe?)

Has anyone got it working yet on a linux box? If so, what distro? And if so, what's your hostname?

G'luck! -FB

Like I mentioned above, I got it working on a redhat 8 box. Though not really playable, and likely caused by my hardware I was using more than anything else. The host name was xxtest, it connected to server.clanlord.com w/o me having to even change any settings like I did w/ the arindal client I'm using on my windows pc.
-Ald

kelfer
Fresh off the Boat

Postby kelfer » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:18 pm

This is usually caused by a messed up /etc/hosts file I think. I'm sure you looked in there though.

Tigger
Violent Fens

Postby Tigger » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:52 pm

Wow, well I got it to connect but it's really messed up for me in OS X 10.3.8. I can see text log messages, other players in the player list, and my inventory, but other than that nothing really worked. The playfield showed me the library (kind of), but I couldn't move anywhere or see player or NPC icons. And there was no sound. The interface is pretty ugly so far but of course that's forgivable. It really really slow also, I can actually watch it trying to keep up with my slow typing. Java may not be lightning-fast, but on a dual 2.0 G5 performance should be much better than that, even unoptimized. Definitely something funky going on there. It launched, it found the CL server and logged in Tigger, it didn't crash, but I couldn't use it at all. It does appear to record the correct data when recording a movie, but I can't play it back either in Arindal or CL. Oh well, I'll check back on it next year when they iron out some kinks. :)
Proud member of Violent Fens, Thoomcare Affiliates, and Maximum Coinage!

Bakunan
Exile

Postby Bakunan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:17 am

Don't know if it is related, but there is a MacCentral article about a Java/Safari problem discovered for some users.

It might be worth it to try the test (java -version from the Terminal command line), to see if something has been corrupted.

lordfirebird
Fresh off the Boat

Postby lordfirebird » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:56 pm

So, I got it to work by adding this line to /etc/hosts

192.168.1.3 RhineMaiden

Only the localhost information was there before.

As for my stats, I am running Gentoo Linux, kernel 2.6.10-r6, on an Athlon Xp 3200+ system with 1GB of ram. With it running (under KDE and latest XOrg and such things) it used about 15-20% of my processor at any given time. Unfortunately, it uses many different processes, so I can't tell exactly how much memory it's using, but my krell monitor says 759M free of 1101M right now (while it's running) which tends to be fairly normal on this machine, so I don't think it's being a memory hog at the time.

As for how it runs, it runs just fine. Frame rate is normal, I get sound. I don't get instrument music at the moment though, but that could be because I don't have MIDI stuff installed for ALSA at the moment. I will try testing that later. Only bug I notice so far is the test comes out of the bubbles of the yells if it's too long, but then again, I havn't left town square yet. ;)

I took a screen shot of it running with my krell monitor behind it and a Konsole in the background, but this doesn't allow attachments =\ If anyone wants to see some screens of it working under linux, let me know.

-FB

Theo
Exile
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Spambot

Postby Theo » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:32 am

bugs and other things I've noticed with java client, on my pc.

1. My main life saving macros don't work too well while using click-hold, because with the mouse button held my macros

trigger command
f5 "\equip <item name>\r"
and

trigger command
f6 "\use 5\r"
don't activate at all, but click-toggle fixed it.

2. chaining: To put someone on a chain, I can't simply type uu and hit enter next to someone, I need to specify an exile, which is dangerous when running from tough creatures on low health and picking someone up on your chain ;)

3. minor annoyance bugs: Sometimes I don't see text bubbles,yells,actions or whatever coming from my character, but other people do, also, text and actions seem to repeat occasionally, not sure if it is a java bug or a mistake of the exiles ;)

4.This might be an issue with pcs, but clicking on an exile while holding down the control button would put the exiles name that you clicked on in your textbox... It was my main method of cadding ;) Now I type out the first 3 or 4 or whatever letters of the target's name, I'm kinda used to it now. It would be great if there was a macro or something to mimic the control-click function, since I don't have a control key on my pc keyboard ;).

5. cosmetic bug: narrate boxes have blue borders and event boxes have green narrate borders, It should be the other way around ;)

6. Music doesn't play on my pc through java client also. I'm not sure if its a bug, or if I'm missing an extension or something on my part.

7. Missing feature?: I don't have a friend list on the java client. I see the label menus, but they are greyed out. Has anyone tried putting in their own friend folder and lists for their characters?

It runs really nice now. I have completed 2 valley hunts and 1 ki hunt on the java client on my pc. I only had to exit and re-launch the app once during the ki hunt, which I got lucky that it wasn't a bad time ;) once during a valley hunt was though, but I was running other small apps like icq, and only have 512 ram ;)

I am really enjoying clanning on my pc ;) Much appreciated :)

lordfirebird
Fresh off the Boat

Postby lordfirebird » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:35 pm

So! I got to play it a bit more and definitely noticed things, mostly stuff that was not extreme (I can't even remember a lot of it now, but I /bug'ed most of it). But there was one thing that was extreme, that should probably be looked at by admins "very soon."

As for the macro "uu" problem mentioned above by Theo, that is most definitely a problem with macro, which seem to be a little screwy, and not the use command itself. It didn't work with my moonstone trying to heal myself when I did uu, or when I chained. The work around you ask? Don't use the macro... I just typed /use manually. It's not as concise, but doing that takes ;me back to the good old days, so it'sal good ;)

As for the Xt34m3!!!!!! problem... there is definitely a very uncool memory leak in the client. In the about hour and a half that I played, it ate up about 500mb of ram. I watched my krell monitor as it slowly went from 750mb free to 250mb free.

Anyway, I'll see if I can post more of the nuisence problems as I go along.

Oh! One that I can think of off the top of my head is it doesn't save a preferences file (or at least... it doesn't use it all good and proper). Everytime I start the client I have to switch movement mode to click and hold, and turn the sound on manually. No friends saved... oh! And... and... there's no "quick equip" from what I can tell. I used to apple-1 to get my sword out and apple-3 to moonstone, but now I can't... which makes me a sad panda...

That's all for this edition!
-FB

zen
Temple of the Moon
Temple of the Moon

Postby zen » Fri May 06, 2005 3:31 pm

Sooooo...despite being a dyed in the wool Mac person, I'm now clanning from a PeeCee. And I have what is probably a dumb question about the Java client...

I got it to work, played for a bit, and went to sleep (strangely enough the client logged me right back in without my asking it to...hrm, now that I think about it that's a bit of a concern)...but I'm not able to find a CL app to start in the folder I created to hold the image and sound files.

I'm thinking that's probably right and I need to point the Java Webstart client at the link specified in Ann's email every time I start this thing (is that right) but I'm not sure how to do that.

Any pointers from you experienced Windows geeks?
Carpe Occultum via scrotum.

Return to “Out of Character”