Yappy
CL GM
CL GM
Profession: GM
Race: Concealed
Player Status: Active

Bad timing

Post by Yappy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:36 pm

Just a quick (and personal) FYI: My Mac gave up the ghost on me this weekend. I was able to pull/back up all of my CL stuff. I'll be away from the game until I get myself a replacement computer.

What terrible timing.

Cirnahl_Lovsya
Exile
Profession: Healer / Mystic
Race: Sylvan

Re: Bad timing

Post by Cirnahl_Lovsya » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:42 pm

I'll likely be in the market come spring. These aftermarket batteries do not hold up well at all.

Kerrah
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Champion
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Kerrah » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Yikes! Hope you won't be down for too long!
Stinkfist wrote:dude zynx just cuz you have a thought in your fuckin idiotic head doesn't mean you have to share it with the world.

same goes for you maeght.

thesquib
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

Post by thesquib » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:16 am

Bad luck Yappy :(
HWC Ruuk

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling
Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Post by Jazz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:34 am

What do you need? Just like a hard drive etc? Or is it toast? I have some parts I could easily mail you if you need. Hell, I could mail you a blueberry 350Mhz G3 iMac that runs CL real nice. :-)
Bang a rang!

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling

Post by Maeght » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 am

What kind of Mac and what kind of problem?

Yappy
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Yappy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:50 am

The problem is partially resolved; the good news is that I’m back online — having purchased an iPad Pro. The bad news is that I purchased an iPad Pro — a device that will not help me in any way with Clan Lord.

I had wanted to buy a Mac Mini, but evidently they only sell the 8GB models at the Apple store. Since I need/want more memory, the suggestion was that I order online. So there’ll be a delay.

The Mac that I had was a Mac Pro desktop model from 2008. My MacBook (from 2006) works but smells like burning plastic every time I turn it on — so I assume that it is a matter of time before that one goes too.

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Fogtripper » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:52 am

Yappy wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:50 am
The problem is partially resolved; the good news is that I’m back online — having purchased an iPad Pro. The bad news is that I purchased an iPad Pro — a device that will not help me in any way with Clan Lord.

I had wanted to buy a Mac Mini, but evidently they only sell the 8GB models at the Apple store. Since I need/want more memory, the suggestion was that I order online. So there’ll be a delay.

The Mac that I had was a Mac Pro desktop model from 2008. My MacBook (from 2006) works but smells like burning plastic every time I turn it on — so I assume that it is a matter of time before that one goes too.
Any interest in a stock 1.25GHz Imac G4? I bought it recently in a package deal and it's actually too new for my tastes ;)
Hell I would give it to you outright minus shipping costs.

Org du Lac
Exile

Post by Org du Lac » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 am

Yappy wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:50 am

Jeez, the Mac Mini is so out of date now it's almost shameful too. There are some minor issues with CL and support tools on retina screens, but nothing serious unless taking screenshots is a major part of your workflow.

I'd be willing to fund the Get Yappy A New Mac promotion if you want to PM me your PayPal email address! In return, it'll only cost you three mirror shards and a pine branch ;)

Oops, of course I mean I'd do it for nothing in return.

Wink wink.

But really.

Wink.

... I think I need to see a doctor about my eyes.

(Edit: But really, if it'd make a difference for getting you back then I'm serious. Think of it as... thanks for your years of volunteering?)

Yappy
CL GM
CL GM

Post by Yappy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:23 pm

Funny that you say “...unless taking screenshots is a major part of your workflow.” Guess who produces the splash screen for each update?

I went ahead and ordered the Mac Mini. It cost far less than the new iMac Pro (five grand for a computer? Yeesh), so I feel like I actually saved money. The catch is that it will not be arriving until the first week of December, so I’ll need to figure out how I am going to handle the December 6th update.

Thanks for the sympathy and support!

thesquib
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

Post by thesquib » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:17 pm

You could run macOS inside Virtualbox, but that doesn't help if all you have is an iPad Pro.

Failing that, this appears to be a way to rent a Mac Mini. I hear you can screen share to it with an iPad Pro...
See https://www.macstadium.com/mac-mini/ and https://tyler.io/coding-on-my-ipad-pro/
And it looks like 24 hours is free.

Never tried it myself, but maybe...
HWC Ruuk