Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Inactive

Re: v1042 discussion

Post by Skirwan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:37 pm

thesquib wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:24 am
Skirwan, that's exactly what I've done already - proxy, etc. Read my post :D
Color me impressed. Very cool stuff.
“However,” said Dumbledore, speaking very slowly and clearly so that none of them could miss a word, “you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.”

thesquib
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Post by thesquib » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:44 pm

Nice Skirwan. I remember you were playing around with an ipad/mobile version a long while ago.
HWC Ruuk

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling
Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Post by Jazz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:08 pm

Skirwan wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:36 pm
I remember what you're talking about, and that wasn't mine (and I'm not Maz). Was it Maz who did the never-released spiffy client with the lighting effects?
I mean... what the shit... someone get a hold of Maz and get this code from him, update THAT and boom... Bob's your Uncle. LOL

http://vagilemind.com/clanlord/viewtopi ... 42#p204735
Bang a rang!

Killian
Exile
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Killian » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Ann wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:13 pm
Money for the hosting service isn't likely to be a problem. It's not that expensive. Likewise, as Adar says, the images and music are finally starting to qualify as retro. :)

I haven't been more than a fly on the wall in Clan Lord development for 10 years now, but as I understand it, the main issues are the Account Portal, clients, and world-building apps. Way back when, a couple of people were actually being paid to work on Clan Lord -- it was my full-time job for 6 years -- and were responsible for most of the boring stuff in addition to many wonderfully fun parts. But it's been all-volunteer for a long time now, and porting a ton of ancient software is not the kind of fun work it's reasonable to expect volunteers to do.

I have talked with Joe fairly recently, though not about this topic. I'll certainly get in touch with him.

Ann
Can we charge to play again and rehire you and Another GM to work on this? Part time I'm sure. Would that help matters at all? Find you a partner that can actually help you with what you need? Not sure pay would be great but You have to make something.
If I can help you in any way. Please ask.

Warder
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Warder » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Jazz wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:13 am
Was it you or Maz that built the integrated, single-window CL (I think that was right around when GL lighting was being introduced).
I think it was HWC/Behr that did the GL lightning, wasn't it?

Connie Crete
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Connie Crete » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Ber!

Bummer. Ifn ya kin, give us notice. Other'n that we'll be doin our regular moseys till tha lights go out.

Ber!

Connie

thesquib
Exile

Post by thesquib » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:15 pm

If the game really does go away I would really like to have license to use the assets, non commercially, to experiment with. The images, sounds are awesome. The point is that I'd also like to somehow have access to the game world so I can recreate it in a new engine. This feels less likely, to be approved but it sounds fun!! So please consider this, in the interests of preservation of internet and gaming history!

Contact me privately if you want to discuss this.
HWC Ruuk

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Race: Halfling
Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Post by Jazz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Ruuk for Fen President!!!
Bang a rang!

Cirnahl_Lovsya
Exile
Profession: Healer / Mystic
Race: Sylvan

Post by Cirnahl_Lovsya » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:29 pm

I will have real problems letting go if I don’t learn what was intended to be the future of the Eastern Mountains. We spent days upon days trying to figure it out to no avail. At this point we’re left to assume nothing else was available yet, but we just don’t know.

My one request is that, if things are shut down, PLEASE let me explore/learn whatever else was out there and intended for future development.

How did we get into the wooded area between GMV and Foghaven? What was downstairs in Windweft? What was in the cave east of Anemus’ Tower?

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Profession: Healer
Race: Thoom

Post by Phroon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Cirnahl_Lovsya wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:29 pm
My one request is that, if things are shut down, PLEASE let me explore/learn whatever else was out there and intended for future development.
Agreed.

I always had a bunch of questions about areas and puzzle solutions. I've forgotten half of them over the years, but I'd love to have several dedicated Q & A threads where some of the really old questions can be answered. Like: Could we have saved Tenebrion? What did we miss in Lugubrion's keep? Which of Tenebrion's messages did I miss? What's the backstory with the 'brions? Was the Geharza Plane/EP Tower Puzzle actually broken for all those years? Was the mirror really just a red herring until the cloud showed up? And so on. Could we have a place for those kind of questions to actually be answered?

I'd love to see a map of everything, like somehow export the raw data and the position of all the graphics for every snell and render that. A few people have done small portions, and there's even tools out there to extract such a map from a vision stone, but having the whole world like that would be a beautiful way to preserve Clan Lord.

thesquib
Exile

Post by thesquib » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:56 pm

Are there really tools to extract a map from a vision stone? I had a go at doing this but didn't put much into it. I wanted to make a Google style map
HWC Ruuk

Hoggle
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia

Post by Hoggle » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:15 pm

Phroon wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:41 pm
Cirnahl_Lovsya wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:29 pm
Agreed.

I always had a bunch of questions about areas and puzzle solutions. I've forgotten half of them over the years, but I'd love to have several dedicated Q & A threads where some of the really old questions can be answered.
I'm afraid it will end up like Lost, where maybe we were dead the whole time.. and Purgatory being so annoying now makes all the more sense.

I recall something about how if there was ever some kind of final date slated for Clanlords ending, it might just go open source? Was that a thing or was that just a hope?

Killian
Exile
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Killian » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:26 pm

All the Above. I have no idea what the true intentions are from the GM's with this update msg. But I'm gonna take it at face value and ask that you help accomplish what others are asking. If this horse is dead lets not kick it. We have a chance to create a great ending. If the GM's left really want to keep this great game going just like I do, then don't hold back. Let us know what you need. Stop beating around a dead bush. Lets use the K.I.S.S. system.

Who here can fix what is broke at this time and wants to get paid for it? Simple question.
If I can help you in any way. Please ask.

Paramedic
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Profession: Healer
Race: Thoom

Post by Paramedic » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:59 pm

I agree with Killian and Hoggle.

I hope we can find a way to keep things going. I know there are significant challenges, but I think it's worth looking at the various options.

If we are looking at an ending, let it be a great one. I hope we're not all already in purgatory. Or on a holodeck.

Fafnir
Exile

Post by Fafnir » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:46 pm

Is joining "http://www.freegamealliance.com/ an option?