General Clan Lord discussion

Moderator: CL GMs

rieger
Exile

Re: v1042 discussion

Post by rieger » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:20 pm

Jazz wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:41 pm
Come back to us Rieger! Such a dearth of tubby halflings these days!
Thanks, old friend! My clicker had an inspiration this morning and remembered the password. I came out the library and walked into the myrm hole and fell. That's where I am now. D'oh.

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Post by Lorikeet » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Thanks for the laugh, Rieger. That's our new "Welcome to ClanLord".

Insanelife
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Ranger
Race: Ghorak Zo

Post by Insanelife » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:40 pm

Sad to hear the news.

Clan Lord is one of the first games I played as a young teenager and made my first friends in an online community. I have quite a few embarrassing memories here, but I also made some cool friends and have always felt this is one of the greatest communities I've ever been apart of. Although I rarely find the time to play anymore, I would be happy to support the game if anyone is willing to continue working on it as is, or even as a re-creation.

When I was a kid, I couldn't afford to pay the 10$/mo for CL. I was living abroad and payments online were a challenging process I couldn't overcome at the time. But I really wanted to play. I e-mailed Joe, and he extended my account time for several years. I would like to pay that generosity forward, so please let me know if there is any way I can help ensure CL continues to exist.

thesquib
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

Post by thesquib » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Insanelife wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:40 pm
Sad to hear the news.

Clan Lord is one of the first games I played as a young teenager and made my first friends in an online community. I have quite a few embarrassing memories here, but I also made some cool friends and have always felt this is one of the greatest communities I've ever been apart of. Although I rarely find the time to play anymore, I would be happy to support the game if anyone is willing to continue working on it as is, or even as a re-creation.

When I was a kid, I couldn't afford to pay the 10$/mo for CL. I was living abroad and payments online were a challenging process I couldn't overcome at the time. But I really wanted to play. I e-mailed Joe, and he extended my account time for several years. I would like to pay that generosity forward, so please let me know if there is any way I can help ensure CL continues to exist.
That is so awesome of Joe
HWC Ruuk

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling
Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Post by Jazz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:09 pm

Shakyamuni wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:12 pm
I will try to not have my feelings hurt by this.
Aww shucks you know I love you ManShakKwan!
Bang a rang!

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Fogtripper » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:14 am

rieger wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:20 pm
Jazz wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:41 pm
Come back to us Rieger! Such a dearth of tubby halflings these days!
Thanks, old friend! My clicker had an inspiration this morning and remembered the password. I came out the library and walked into the myrm hole and fell. That's where I am now. D'oh.
I shockingly fell down there as well. Panicked at first and started running away. Muscle memory took over and ran right out into north field.

Sunblaze Wildfire
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Healer/Fighter
Race: Concealed

Post by Sunblaze Wildfire » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:45 am

Be sad if we can't save Clan Lord. I have been playing the game for a long time and that makes me feel old. I'll miss playing around with my dragon costume during the feast, too. Still be wishing that costumes can be itemized.

HTML 5 will be a best bet, if it is possible to move the code to it. If a whole rewrite has to be done, I'll recommend to try see about using a game engine like Unity or Unreal Engine. It would save a lot of time and headaches of a full rewrite.

Paramedic
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Race: Thoom

Post by Paramedic » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:41 pm

Thank you, Yappy. This is much appreciated.

-Para
Yappy wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:21 am
Update: So, the good news is that we’ve heard from Joe. He’ll be making an announcement soon (or in Delta Tao-ese, “soon”). We’ve also in talks with some skilled people who are willing to undertake the account portal project. We’ll provide more information as news develops.

Maz
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Retired

Post by Maz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:12 am

Hi guys,

I'd be happy to donate(again) my old 'new' client engine from back then. It's completely portable, and could very likely be massaged into webassembly these days, to run in a browser window.

If anyone is interested, ping me on buserror @ gmail.com

Maz
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Maz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:52 am

Allright so I've got 2 interested people so far, so perhaps I should release that on a private github? I'll GPL my bits. I don't think we can release it all since there are bits in there which weren't 'mine' (password encryption) but we can sort it out later.

Is there a problem with that? The client is perfectly safe, in the sense you can't 'hack' the server or anything like that, for all I know, the login/account protocol has changed since I wrote it as well... however the 'meat' of it should still work fine; I recompiled it and managed to load the modern CL_Images file so it's already something. I suspect the protocol itsefl hasn't changed...

Anyone object?

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Race: Thoom

Post by Phroon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:15 pm

FriedDylan wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:05 pm
a full on Open sourcing of the game.
I think some of the CL assets are not exclusive property of Delta Tao. I think some of the sounds are actually from a licensed library. I remember watching the credits for the Lego Movie and an owl hoots exactly like it does in Clan Lord. I swear I've heard other sounds outside of CL too.

Valtrim
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant

Post by Valtrim » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:38 pm

It's amazing to me that, after all of the years that have passed, after all of the other MMOs I've played, coming back here and reading all of this still evokes the depth of emotion that it does. For better or worse, I don't think I've ever been as serious about a game as I was about Clan Lord.

I could go either way on ending things or continuing on; I'm not an active player, so it doesn't affect me. Like pretty much everyone, though, seeing CL end would make me sad. Among the things that CL2 would likely not recreate is the Mystic class, and that would make me saddest of all... though I suppose many of you would see that as a feature. ;)

One thing I'll say is this: if Clan Lord ends, I'd like to have a very long discussion with everyone remaining about a lot of things. Twenty years is a long time to keep secrets, and there are things that I'm still yearning to know.

- HWC for Valtrim
"If me knowing something makes CL less fun for you, then that makes you a cock." -- Michael

Helios
Exile
Profession: Journeyman Mystic
Race: Halfling

Post by Helios » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:27 am

Phroon wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:15 pm
FriedDylan wrote:
I think some of the CL assets are not exclusive property of Delta Tao. I think some of the sounds are actually from a licensed library. I remember watching the credits for the Lego Movie and an owl hoots exactly like it does in Clan Lord. I swear I've heard other sounds outside of CL too.
Oh god, I heard that hoot too. I was worried it was just an auditory hallucination :lol:
Wangah Rah says, "Granted, hand in hand with that, is this advice:"
Wangah Rah says, "Don't be a fool."

Maz
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Maz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:56 am

You can easily keep the Images & Sound under licence and still distribute them for free (as they are right now)...

My CL client used the DT own files.. no problem there; the problem is liberating the server and accounting system really.

My own motivation is to salvage the game as it is, as a museum/classic piece. *after that* if there's some sudden massive interest, it could be improved, but really, you don't start restoring a classic car by adding a spoiler: you first fix it.

Sonny_Bill
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Sylvan

Post by Sonny_Bill » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:48 am

Phroon wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:15 pm
FriedDylan wrote:
The horn/ranking sound is used in Dark Castle, no? I think some of the 'ouch' noises are too.