Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Temporary Character
Race: Thoom
Player Status: Active

Re: v1042 discussion

Post by Grumar Chaosgut » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 am

Tas Furrfoot wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 pm
Just thinking outloud - my only issue with it being 'open source' is that someone can figure out? i presume? things about the game we haven't discovered yet; however, having access to tools to building areas for others to enjoy would be interesting and perhaps having 'mirrors' to those new 'user developed?' areas... just thinking outloud. Kinda like having a bigger house, but even more so. I'm assuming really that's what the current GMs been doing but with the actual world and then after testing it on a test server having it integrated (like a branch to main on git) into the existing world.
Whirl wind wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:02 am
I agree w you Tas, that open sourcing does undercut the mystery, but its an interesting thought to maybe open up the world builder and/or some of the code so others can potentially write code for and/or create a new area or ability at any point and maybe then give our GMs final say to add, tweak, reject, squirrel away as wanted while hopefully minimizing the work on their end to implement it. So keep some mystery and mayhem but still open the world up enough to potentially allow more widespread contribution or just for fun for those who love the world enough to play with it.

I do like your idea of having mirrors to player made areas on maybe a separate server or in some ooc area or for April Fools or some event to play around.
Not necessarily, you can release the code that doesn't contain spoilers as open source in a Public repository, while the rest of the code would be in a Private repository that wouldn't be available to the public. Access to the private repository would require someone to manually add people as collaborator in order to gain access.
User and organization accounts with paid billing plans can also use unlimited private repositories. Anyone can view public repositories, while private repositories have their visibility limited to just you and your collaborators.
And
A public repository is one where the code it contains is available for
anyone in the world to browse, download, clone, and/or use. Also the
Wiki and Issue Tracker for the repo will be visible to the public as
well.

A private repository is one where you control which Bitbucket users
are allowed to see and/or clone the code. You can also make the Wiki
and Issue Tracker private.
Cite: https://help.github.com/articles/github ... ing-plans/ & https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... lX2O7XvlB4

Whirl wind
Exile
Profession: Sky Mystic
Race: Human

Post by Whirl wind » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:36 pm

QuirksGM wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:04 am
With the current production schedule, it's looking like at least one of them will be released before the end of 2017.
All hail!
Who needs the Mainland? I've got a floating island!

Killian
Exile
Profession: Ranger
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Killian » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:36 pm

Lorikeet wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:59 pm
Actually, Fogtripper, I just like to play this game, you know? I haven't played any other games. The people who I play with enjoy it as well. If it dies from lack of participation, so be it. If more content comes and people are interested, so be it as well. If you want to start another entirely different game with CL pieces, that's fine for you. I'm just explaining I probably wouldn't be interested. And this is the same discussion that has been going on for twelve years.
For the record I'm 100% with lori on this. I love what we have here. I don't often have time to go on many of Lori's hunts but always love it when I do. We have a few leaders in this realm that have held what we have together. We have no blue gods. We have good folks. If CL2.0 means fixing what we have. I'm all in. If it means creating a whole new game. I may be out. It depends on one thing. If those that want to create a whole new clanlord intend for this world to die, no, I will not support CL2.0. I will always support this world as I can. I don't want to Us to die.
If I can help you in any way. Please ask.

Sala Dragon
Exile

Post by Sala Dragon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Grumar Chaosgut wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:16 pm
It's been down long before the initial 4/19/17 announcement, with some in-game players stating
Since update 1000 :(
Oh! Dang. I emailed Eldon in June when I tried to buy some more characters, and I only remember it making the news on Discord right around then.
Grumar Chaosgut wrote: I'm not going to pretend like I know the inner working of the clan lord account system, but I'm going to assume the players data is stored on a database somewhere. What I don't understand is what prevents GM's or Joe from that matter from adding a rows to the `player` table manually and therefore adding accounts in manually. I'm also still willing to pay the $10 despite the game being considered "retro", cause despite it's age it's still awesome to play. Also yes with all the engines out there it wouldn't be difficult to recreate the game in SDL, SFML etc. aka CL 2.0. Open Sourcing it would also make it easier for others to contribute to the current codebase if it is pushed to a git hosting service like BitBucket(Preferred) or GitHub.
That's how it worked for ages before the account portal was generated -- you sent an email to Joe (or Ann?) with your credit card number and what you wanted, and they'd enter it by hand. Grueling.

Grumar Chaosgut
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Temporary Character
Race: Thoom

Post by Grumar Chaosgut » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 pm

Sala Dragon wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:53 pm
Grumar Chaosgut wrote:
It's been down long before the initial 4/19/17 announcement, with some in-game players stating
Oh! Dang. I emailed Eldon in June when I tried to buy some more characters, and I only remember it making the news on Discord right around then.
Grumar Chaosgut wrote: I'm not going to pretend like I know the inner working of the clan lord account system, but I'm going to assume the players data is stored on a database somewhere. What I don't understand is what prevents GM's or Joe from that matter from adding a rows to the `player` table manually and therefore adding accounts in manually. I'm also still willing to pay the $10 despite the game being considered "retro", cause despite it's age it's still awesome to play. Also yes with all the engines out there it wouldn't be difficult to recreate the game in SDL, SFML etc. aka CL 2.0. Open Sourcing it would also make it easier for others to contribute to the current codebase if it is pushed to a git hosting service like BitBucket(Preferred) or GitHub.
That's how it worked for ages before the account portal was generated -- you sent an email to Joe (or Ann?) with your credit card number and what you wanted, and they'd enter it by hand. Grueling.
I understand their reluctant to start doing this again as it is definitely a pain in the @&~* coming from another developer but, as I've been waiting a very long time I was wondering if they could do this for me one time. It would make a great Christmas present. I tried contacting Joe but, his mailbox has been for ages now. EldonGM says he can't do it, wait for the portal to return. I don't have Ann's email, as I really would like to try and see if she can help. I am willing to pay via PayPal, just send me the email to make the payment to.

Yappy
CL GM
CL GM
Profession: GM
Race: Concealed

Post by Yappy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:11 am

Grumar Chaosgut wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 pm
I understand their reluctant to start doing this again as it is definitely a pain in the @&~* coming from another developer but, as I've been waiting a very long time I was wondering if they could do this for me one time. It would make a great Christmas present. I tried contacting Joe but, his mailbox has been for ages now. EldonGM says he can't do it, wait for the portal to return. I don't have Ann's email, as I really would like to try and see if she can help. I am willing to pay via PayPal, just send me the email to make the payment to.
I don’t understand what it is that you are asking.

Cirnahl_Lovsya
Exile
Profession: Healer / Mystic
Race: Sylvan

Post by Cirnahl_Lovsya » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:16 am

I get that you want your own account, but you pretty well have a solid fighter to work with. Whenever the portal is up and running and you can set up your own account we’ll move Reebus to that account and he’ll be officially yours. Until then, it’s not hurting anything for you to keep on as-is until things are figured out.

Grumar Chaosgut wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 pm
Sala Dragon wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:53 pm
Grumar Chaosgut wrote:

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Fogtripper » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:22 am

Killian wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:36 pm
Lorikeet wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:59 pm
Actually, Fogtripper, I just like to play this game, you know? I haven't played any other games. The people who I play with enjoy it as well. If it dies from lack of participation, so be it. If more content comes and people are interested, so be it as well. If you want to start another entirely different game with CL pieces, that's fine for you. I'm just explaining I probably wouldn't be interested. And this is the same discussion that has been going on for twelve years.
For the record I'm 100% with lori on this. I love what we have here. I don't often have time to go on many of Lori's hunts but always love it when I do. We have a few leaders in this realm that have held what we have together. We have no blue gods. We have good folks. If CL2.0 means fixing what we have. I'm all in. If it means creating a whole new game. I may be out. It depends on one thing. If those that want to create a whole new clanlord intend for this world to die, no, I will not support CL2.0. I will always support this world as I can. I don't want to Us to die.
That is fair enough.

However you can firmly count me in the camp of those who will not return to the game, should it remain business as usual.

Bastion
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Detha!
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Bastion » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:48 am

I must say that despite my inactivity over the last couple years due to work/life schedule, I am so very happy to have played Clan Lord. Creating anything other than this would probably not be the same. Whilst I would try it more than likely, purely out of curiousity I don't think anything could bring back that feeling of the first time you managed to solo your first orga berserk, passing a circle test or running into your first darshak invasion.

While the game has evolved it has kept very true to its base as a game and I played it not as a chat room but as something i considered a 'top end game'. Clan Lord was always the game that if my friends asked "know a good game?" Clan Lord was the first response.

I doubt many of you will see me return unless something drastic changes in my life but I do hope that everyone has had alot of fun over the years and Clan Lord even if the game ends, it's spirit will live on for many years to come.

All the best,
Bastion
Detha-lover forever

Fafnir
Exile

Post by Fafnir » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:52 pm

I don't see him log in but Asparagus is the worst player at CL but one of the best to organize events. He should be on your board to revamp.

QuirksGM
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Game Master
Race: Concealed

Post by QuirksGM » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Fafnir wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:52 pm
I don't see him log in but Asparagus is the worst player at CL but one of the best to organize events. He should be on your board to revamp.
Making improvements to Asparagus is definitely on our list.

rieger
Exile

Post by rieger » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:26 am

It's been years--many years--since I signed onto Clan Lord. I just happened to check out Thoomcare tonight as I was cleaning up an old list of bookmarks and heard the news. It's been so long since I logged in that I don't remember my account passwords, nor how to reset it.

I just want to say that CL was very important to me during a certain period of my life--lasting years. The last thing I contributed to the community was Clan Lord Informer, and then other priorities in my life took me away from clanning.

If I can figure out how to get my password reset, I'll pop into the lands at least to say hi.

I'll go review this thread now and if see if there is anything I can do to help.

HWC for Rieger (the first Proximus trainer and long-time bluebie halfling healer).

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling
Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Post by Jazz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Come back to us Rieger! Such a dearth of tubby halflings these days!
Bang a rang!

Geotzou
Exile

Post by Geotzou » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:11 pm

QuirksGM wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:53 pm
Fafnir wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:52 pm
Making improvements to Asparagus is definitely on our list.
Oh great, I love Spinach.

Shakyamuni
Open Hands
Profession: Healer/Alchemist
Race: Halfling

Post by Shakyamuni » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:12 pm

Jazz wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:41 pm
Come back to us Rieger! Such a dearth of tubby halflings these days!
I will try to not have my feelings hurt by this.
Husband to Drablak and Nettle - Brother to Algy and Juren