Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Re: v1042 discussion

Post by thesquib » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:26 pm

Yappy wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:21 am
Update: So, the good news is that we’ve heard from Joe. He’ll be making an announcement soon (or in Delta Tao-ese, “soon”). We’ve also in talks with some skilled people who are willing to undertake the account portal project. We’ll provide more information as news develops.
Yay!
HWC Ruuk

Grumar Chaosgut
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Temporary Character
Race: Thoom

Post by Grumar Chaosgut » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 pm

thesquib wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:26 pm
Yappy wrote:
Update: So, the good news is that we’ve heard from Joe. He’ll be making an announcement soon (or in Delta Tao-ese, “soon”). We’ve also in talks with some skilled people who are willing to undertake the account portal project. We’ll provide more information as news develops.
Yay!
Yippy hurray! I've been waiting for almost a year now to get an account. Also I've asked several times if I could help with fixing the account portal via email and /pray and no one has ever gotten back to me.

Sala Dragon
Exile

Post by Sala Dragon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:42 pm

Grumar Chaosgut wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 pm
thesquib wrote:
Yappy wrote:
Yay!
Yippy hurray! I've been waiting for almost a year now to get an account. Also I've asked several times if I could help with fixing the account portal via email and /pray and no one has ever gotten back to me.
But the account portal has only been down since like June-ish! Was the account creation broken even before that?

Grumar Chaosgut
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Grumar Chaosgut » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Sala Dragon wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:42 pm
Grumar Chaosgut wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 pm
thesquib wrote:

Yay!
But the account portal has only been down since like June-ish! Was the account creation broken even before that?
According To The Update Log:
4/19/2017 v1012
I’m proud to pay taxes in the United States; the only thing is, I could be just as proud for half the money. — Arthur Godfrey (1903–1983)

No notable game news to report.
The Account Portal remains out of commission due to unforeseen software changes at the hosting provider. We’re trying to get it back online but we can’t yet say how long that will take. Apologies for the inconvenience.

3/29/2017 v1009
Life with fools consists in drinking; with the wise man, thinking. — Benjamin Franklin (1706–1790)

Let’s hope the v1000 excitement has finally died down a bit!

3/8/2017 v1006
Cleanliness is indeed next to godliness. — Christopher Morley (1890–1957)
Cleanliness becomes more important when godliness is unlikely. — P. J. O’Rourke (b. 1947)

We apologize, again, for the mishap that afflicted the v1000-to-v1003 update. At long last we’re able to award the lion’s share of the ranks that we’d planned to give out as compensation for the lost time.
It's been down long before the initial 4/19/17 announcement, with some in-game players stating
Since update 1000
:(

Tas Furrfoot
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Healer
Race: Halfling

Post by Tas Furrfoot » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Well, i've been playing since September, 2000. Mostly between two of my primary 'toons' and I went from the aweness and shyness of what was going on to more active and 'role playing' Tas' role in the community, to participating in several clans and clan events: Hearts of Tan, Light & Shadow, Rat Bastards, and now Dwarven Militia, etc.

I go on 'hunts' with Connie Crete, Lorikeet, and Taryn helping out where I can and simply enjoying the collaborative challenge of the game but also the friendlyness and fun of 'friends' in the game - a few i've met in real life as a result, oddly enough I have a few I know are within 20 miles of me I still have yet to meet (funny how that works, easier to say HEY in game).

This game certainly qualifies, to me, as retro now probably - and while I can see a possible CL 2.0 version, i don't know how it would take traction in the existing world of gaming, but as a 'retro' game, i can see how it would still possibly still be going on and if some of the immediate access issues resolved and the then longer term issues of platform clients being updated (assuming that's possible with either paid or volunteers who are enthusiastic about maintaining the game). While OOC i'm a computer manager with mysql/php/web development experience, etc. I'm not sure that i'm active enough in programming in the current landscape (older) to be of much help.

I do wonder about the macro abilities - that is something most of us rely on, and (assuming) there is a continuation of current CL 'retro' version, while i've seen the possibilities on portable platforms, etc., i wonder how those might factor in (yes, i'm always thinking ahead on those types of things).

I'm certainly in camp one for keeping the existing CL around somehow - probably because i've been playing it regularly for so long and I'm willing to go back to paying for the game (I did for a little while when the model shifted to 'pay if you want', but when my cc changed, i didn't or couldn't update that, i can't remember). If there is some kind of need to generate some funds to make the conversions, etc. I'll be lined up to contribute through whatever (Patreon, Kickstarter, etc. whatever works as long as it's goign to the right people). I've always found Joe's philosophy about gaming and this game in particular interesting - perhaps it was an 'experiment' of his at the time and he sees it as a glorified chat room environment (which it certainly could be, but frankly there are already too many commercial products doing that already with video and chat for it to compete in the professional world unless he's releasing a version that's for startups or something, i have no idea).

Anyhow, I dont' read Sentinel or look here often, but this was important enough for me to come here and read up and say something. Beer! Cookies! I miss my old friends back in the Tan of Hearts days and Light & Shadow (i was a late comer to that group after ToH disbanded) and met some of those folks. I remember RL clan get togethers. Interesting that a game could generate that kind of RL connections. I have tons of respect for everyone in the game, seen several of them 'grow up'. I tried to get my sons into it - but they're more for warfare type games, MineCraft, and WoW.... so I have to wonder if theirs were one of the last accounts setup before the account portal broke.... heh.

Cheers, Tas/ PWC Tas.
-----

Tas Furrfoot
Dwarven Militia, formerly Rat Bastard, formerly L&S, formerly Hearts of Tan
exiled 9/2000 (OOC)

Killian
Exile
Profession: Ranger
Race: Fen'neko

Post by Killian » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:20 pm

thesquib wrote:
Yappy wrote:
Yay!
This Gives me hope! All I can help with is payment. Count my accounts paid for when the portal is up and running. All I can do is pay for the work you all do and that is what i'll do. Not gonna post in this thread from here on out. I'm scared of what I may read.
If I can help you in any way. Please ask.

FriedDylan
Exile
Profession: Champion
Race: Human

Post by FriedDylan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:05 pm

:idea: I would be totally fine with a community license transfer (an official community needs to be created along with a governing board) or a full on Open sourcing of the game. The two offer the possibility of future growth depending on the efforts of the stated community or adopting group of open sourcers. If the game is sold and a company buys it .. like everything else the game will die and be shelved. We don't want this.

If Joe can be convinced to release the game to the community we can continue to work on the issues at hand and the board can take on independent devs to get us to the next level- we can even crowd fund the work. Everyone gets input into the changes and a project plan is created to ensure we're managing the work. The board should pretty much unanimously sponsor the work being done.

Anyway that's what I think would be a few steps up from where we are. Details can be hashed out- I certainly would be willing to participate as (I'm betting) would others here.
You equip your greatsword.
You slaughtered a Frog.

Grumar Chaosgut
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Grumar Chaosgut » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:55 pm

I'm not going to pretend like I know the inner working of the clan lord account system, but I'm going to assume the players data is stored on a database somewhere. What I don't understand is what prevents GM's or Joe from that matter from adding a rows to the `player` table manually and therefore adding accounts in manually. I'm also still willing to pay the $10 despite the game being considered "retro", cause despite it's age it's still awesome to play. Also yes with all the engines out there it wouldn't be difficult to recreate the game in SDL, SFML etc. aka CL 2.0. Open Sourcing it would also make it easier for others to contribute to the current codebase if it is pushed to a git hosting service like BitBucket(Preferred) or GitHub.

Tas Furrfoot
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Tas Furrfoot » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Just thinking outloud - my only issue with it being 'open source' is that someone can figure out? i presume? things about the game we haven't discovered yet; however, having access to tools to building areas for others to enjoy would be interesting and perhaps having 'mirrors' to those new 'user developed?' areas... just thinking outloud. Kinda like having a bigger house, but even more so. I'm assuming really that's what the current GMs been doing but with the actual world and then after testing it on a test server having it integrated (like a branch to main on git) into the existing world.
-----

Tas Furrfoot
exiled 9/2000 (OOC)

Whirl wind
Exile
Profession: Sky Mystic
Race: Human

Post by Whirl wind » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:02 am

I agree w you Tas, that open sourcing does undercut the mystery, but its an interesting thought to maybe open up the world builder and/or some of the code so others can potentially write code for and/or create a new area or ability at any point and maybe then give our GMs final say to add, tweak, reject, squirrel away as wanted while hopefully minimizing the work on their end to implement it. So keep some mystery and mayhem but still open the world up enough to potentially allow more widespread contribution or just for fun for those who love the world enough to play with it.

I do like your idea of having mirrors to player made areas on maybe a separate server or in some ooc area or for April Fools or some event to play around.
Who needs the Mainland? I've got a floating island!

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Profession: Ranger
Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Post by Jazz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 am

Whirl wind wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:02 am
so others can potentially write code for and/or create a new area or ability at any point and maybe then give our GMs final say to add, tweak, reject, squirrel away as wanted
I"m 100% willing to help out in any way I'm capable of completion of Champion "upgrades". :-)
Bang a rang!

QuirksGM
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Game Master
Race: Concealed

Post by QuirksGM » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:04 am

I've seen a few people refer to my remark about Clan Lord being an "AOL chatroom with monsters." Of course there is more to it than that — a world, an ongoing story, a community. I was describing one of its essential qualities, easy communication, that would be lost in a mobile app scenario.

Speaking of worlds, stories, and content being added to the game: there are a couple of new areas that are very close to completion. With the current production schedule, it's looking like at least one of them will be released before the end of 2017.

Icy
Noble
Profession: All
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Icy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:09 am

QuirksGM wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:04 am
I've seen a few people refer to my remark about Clan Lord being an "AOL chatroom with monsters." Of course there is more to it than that — a world, an ongoing story, a community. I was describing one of its essential qualities, easy communication, that would be lost in a mobile app scenario.

Speaking of worlds, stories, and content being added to the game: there are a couple of new areas that are very close to completion. With the current production schedule, it's looking like at least one of them will be released before the end of 2017.
QuirksGM that's not how this is supposed to work. Just say "soon" :wink:
3/3/15 9:27:45a Icy has fallen to a Rat.

QuirksGM
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Game Master
Race: Concealed

Post by QuirksGM » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:10 am

Icy wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:09 am
QuirksGM that's not how this is supposed to work. Just say "soon" :wink:
I have less practice than the other GMs. I'll put correct terminology on the list.

Tas Furrfoot
Fresh off the Boat

Post by Tas Furrfoot » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:35 am

QuirksGM wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:04 am

That's my worry about going to a moble app scenario - the easy communication and probably macro abilities. All what you said. And 'end of 2017' yup, that's "VERY SOON" right? ;-)

Beer!
-----

Tas Furrfoot
exiled 9/2000 (OOC)