General Clan Lord discussion

Moderator: CL GMs

Sala Dragon
Exile

Re: v1042 discussion

Post by Sala Dragon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:35 am

Sonny_Bill wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:50 am
I dunno... I guess the good news is that Joe Williams is a real person. Anybody tried calling 408-730-9336 to be like 'oi Joe... sup dawg? I'm trying to run CL on my 68K Mac and it keeps bumming out... got any answers?'
Joe is a real person that people have met, and IIRC he and HGM and the early GMs (Ann?) all know each other in person. It's kind of :o to hear that Delta Tao has not been a legal company for ±10 years, but honestly not super surprising. I lol'ed at the rest of your post (e.g. his blog was hacked by Anonymous, maybe as long as 7 years ago).

But yeah, without his chipping in, we're kind of just talking pointlessly... perhaps the most common type of talk on The Sentinel.

I'd possibly participate in CL2, but only if it wasn't tuned to hell by FTP microtransactions and Mobile First™, and only if existing characters got some sort of boost or carryover. I never got into Arindal or Alchera, largely because grinding from the start again was 'ehhh...', even though as Jazz says, Clan Lord is just a giant unchanging skinner box anyway. (With, IMO, the exception of the Mystic class which functions -- or dysfunctions -- totally separately.)

I'd definitely pay to extend CL1 though.

Cirnahl_Lovsya
Exile
Profession: Healer / Mystic
Race: Sylvan
Player Status: Active

Post by Cirnahl_Lovsya » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:51 am

Just throwing it out there... my biggest concern with a transfer of power or a CL2.0 is the possibility of folks being in charge of the Mystic class who don’t actually “get it”...

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling
Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Post by Jazz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:17 am

Mac wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:30 pm
A bit of a reality check: DT is not going to save the game - I'm not sure anyone at DT even knows what the hell is going on with the game (I'm not even sure DT is more than Joe or even a real company anymore). Unpaid GMs aren't going to save the game - they've already done more than could be asked of them by keeping the game going for the last 10-15 years. All of the player nostalgia in the world is not going to save the game without working servers/clients or new content.
We don't need DT or the GMs to save the game... we need Joe to release the game so others with more current passion can take up the reins.

One of the BIGGEST problems with CL is that people offer to help over and over endlessly for decades, but more often than not the help isn't taken. Hell I remember submitting entire storylines/area ideas to Joe/HGM back in the day (like turn of the century) that I'd put many hours into and always just got back, "Thanks!" Sure... maybe my ideas sucked, but I've been willing to volunteer the time for almost 20 years. Just never accepted.

So that's a huge problem that I'm sure you're all too familiar with. IF Joe releases the game and others take up the reins I would hope there is at least a democractic committee of some sort deciding that Mystics can now control more than vermines or... like you say... re-do the sharing system for more inclusion. Game design is probably a lot about compromise. I would hate for Joe Lord to just become Sector Lord.
Bang a rang!

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Fogtripper » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:46 am

Jazz wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:17 am
One of the BIGGEST problems with CL is that people offer to help over and over endlessly for decades, but more often than not the help isn't taken.
When I began clanning, I quickly learned that for me the most valuable asset the game had was the creativity of the RPers and the willingness of GMs to allow the RPers to "drive the dramatic story-line". Like I mentioned earlier, there was a honking deep well from which to draw ideas and assistance. However like you say, it was left to rot on the vine and eventually those people left and what remained was an empty shell that was updated simply to give advanced rank hunting areas.

For me anything new would absolutely have to draw back the creative element players who (for me) made the game what it was and different from other games. It would have to get back to it's RP roots (how many remember players being zotted for OOCing in TC?).

There would also have to be some sort of internal oversight that insured that anything that was added to the game had a clear path to completion, and no crumbling lids with nothing beyond because the specific GM left and left it unfinished.

Whirl wind
Exile
Profession: Sky Mystic
Race: Human

Post by Whirl wind » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:07 pm

I guess the CL 1 vs CL2 debate for me boils down to what exactly CL2 means.

What does CL2 change, what does it keep, why?
Is it just messing with fighter dynamics?
Dealing with rank disparity?
Is it removing things, adding things, etc.

Im willing to deal with changes and will whole heartedly support those who want to find a way to keep it alive but there comes a point where depending on the changes its just a different game with similar packaging and thats my issue personally, im not sure what people mean for CL2 to be.
Who needs the Mainland? I've got a floating island!

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Seems that the people most interested in a "CL2" are those who no longer play, which kind of makes sense. The people who are still playing are more interested in fixing the account portal and getting more content for a platform that will continue to work, from what I've seen.

Fogtripper
Noble

Post by Fogtripper » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Lorikeet wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:14 pm
Seems that the people most interested in a "CL2" are those who no longer play, which kind of makes sense. The people who are still playing are more interested in fixing the account portal and getting more content for a platform that will continue to work, from what I've seen.
This just in Lori, in short order nobody whatsoever will be playing. The only ones benefiting from simply adding new content (read: content you personally would get XP from while babysitting lowbies for shares) are the people who are still playing. While at the same time you'd ignore the reasons the vast majority of players left the game or tried it and saw how vast the gulf is. And perhaps they wanted to have something beyond RWing to do while playing.

If there was a new island that opened up, complete with brand new content, would you not want as many people playing there and each contribute meaningfully? Would it diminish your play if people did not view you as a blue god, which kind of makes sense?

Respectfully, perhaps you need to remove your blue pajamas and take a step back to gain perspective.
Last edited by Fogtripper on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lorikeet
Pogue Mahone
Pogue Mahone
Profession: Healer

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:59 pm

Actually, Fogtripper, I just like to play this game, you know? I haven't played any other games. The people who I play with enjoy it as well. If it dies from lack of participation, so be it. If more content comes and people are interested, so be it as well. If you want to start another entirely different game with CL pieces, that's fine for you. I'm just explaining I probably wouldn't be interested. And this is the same discussion that has been going on for twelve years.

Fogtripper
Noble

Post by Fogtripper » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Lorikeet wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:59 pm
Actually, Fogtripper, I just like to play this game, you know? I haven't played any other games. The people who I play with enjoy it as well. If it dies from lack of participation, so be it. If more content comes and people are interested, so be it as well. If you want to start another entirely different game with CL pieces, that's fine for you. I'm just explaining I probably wouldn't be interested. And this is the same discussion that has been going on for twelve years.
I recall the discussions quite well. The needs of the many were left to rot and the needs of the few were catered to. You prefer new content, but you fail to give your reasoning to not wanting it to be via CL2. That is I suspect, beyond the massive number of ranks you've attained over the past 20 years.

What specifically do you enjoy in game as it is that could not be had in a CL2, where the gulf of ranks would be not so vast?

thesquib
Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

Post by thesquib » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:01 pm

People play for different reasons, we don't need to get personal over this.

The notional game referred to as 'CL2' is entirely possible, and can happen without any impact on CL at all. So perhaps we can leave that as a different discussion, as this is about the future (or lack of) of CL as it is now.
HWC Ruuk

Maeght
Trainer
Profession: Ranger
Race: Halfling

Post by Maeght » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Lorikeet wrote:
+1

Whirl wind
Exile
Profession: Sky Mystic
Race: Human

Post by Whirl wind » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Lorikeet wrote:
Which is ideal yeah. Im wondering if the windows client is having the same lurking compatibility issues as the mac client, since windows tends to be more backward compatible...not that CL being windows only is a solution, but can it live longer on that platform even just to give more time to recreating a compatible mac osx client?
Who needs the Mainland? I've got a floating island!

Fogtripper
Noble

Post by Fogtripper » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:59 pm

thesquib wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:01 pm
People play for different reasons, we don't need to get personal over this.

The notional game referred to as 'CL2' is entirely possible, and can happen without any impact on CL at all. So perhaps we can leave that as a different discussion, as this is about the future (or lack of) of CL as it is now.
It was not intended to be personal. It is a point of view of the different types of players. As you said, people play for different reasons, and the game was steered toward one set of reasons while the bulk of reasons others used to play slowly disappeared. Leaving us with what is now. I am not going to ignore the elephant sitting in the middle of the room mocking us.

Quite honestly, new content is new content. I am more about community and meaningful contributions than I am trying to outrank others. Have a second Ripture War and start with a fresh slate with fresh content and perhaps allow those who wish to remain behind with the existing content, with the option to step through the Rip/Portal and be born again.

Icy
Noble
Profession: All
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Icy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:23 pm

Whirl wind wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:48 pm
Im wondering if the windows client is having the same lurking compatibility issues as the mac client, since windows tends to be more backward compatible...not that CL being windows only is a solution, but can it live longer on that platform even just to give more time to recreating a compatible mac osx client?
It is, sorta. Minor problems though:

1) Sometimes it just doesn't end cleanly.
2) Sometimes during updates it thinks the images file is corrupt and points this out but never actually affects play.

You are correct though, Windows still has a compatibility mode to run applications for Windows 95
3/3/15 9:27:45a Icy has fallen to a Rat.

Kerrah
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Champion
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Kerrah » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Wow, after all these years away, I actually hadn't given much of a thought to CL in some time, but when Shaky posted about this in the FB group, I got all sorts of feelings. If this is indeed the end of Clan Lord, I'm super sad. Twenty years is a hell of a run, but I hope there can be some way to keep things going, even if it's as part of a CL2 plan that stipulates keeping the original around in perpetuity for those who want to stay.

Whatever happens, I'd like to sincerely thank all the GMs for all the fun over the years. I made some great friendships, and y'all helped me through some of the worst times of my life. I had so many laughs (the horny chicken blow-off that ended with the GMs putting a cooldown timer on Super Chicken's horn comes to mind!), and loved playing such a tough fighter, and then had a blast healing as Desdemona.

If this is indeed the end, though, I'd like to request one hell of a going-away party (the rank fountain we've always dreamed about! Albino Mahas for everyone! Mantuans overrunning TC!). I'll try to find my way out of the library for that!
Stinkfist wrote:dude zynx just cuz you have a thought in your fuckin idiotic head doesn't mean you have to share it with the world.

same goes for you maeght.