Exile
Profession: Fighter
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Re: v1042 discussion

Post by thesquib » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:52 am

Destian wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:52 pm
I personally wouldn't want to play CL any longer if the storyline has officially ended, but there are a lot of people who still DO and those people are going to have the game shut down out from under them waiting for an "official answer" from Joe.
Do we have a central place to read up on the story line(s) thus far?
HWC Ruuk

Destian
Trainer
Profession: Healer/Slug Wrangler
Race: Human
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Destian » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:23 am

thesquib wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:52 am
Do we have a central place to read up on the story line(s) thus far?
We have a few sites that still report on CL news, but I don't believe there's a central repository for all information on what's happened with the game's story.

...And that's a shame because it's one of the things a "CL2" would very definitely require to work and it absolutely wouldn't have hurt CL1 to have a site players could go to to read up on what's happening.
A video guide to healer pets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ejD_9X1io
"Solomon chuckles"

humbaba
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Ranger

Post by humbaba » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:55 pm

I've been around since before the Ripture War and *I* don't have any idea what the story line is.

Clan Lord rapidly got away from being a place where you could seriously participate without huge time commitments. Combine that with the whole fetishizing of secrecy and it's super easy to not know what's going on. Not to mention the feeling that there have been many volunteer GMs at the wheel over the years changing directions and leaving dead ends.

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Race: Halfling
Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Post by Jazz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:26 pm

"The Loremasters are beginning to step into the light."

I'd get excited, but, all things considered, I'm not sure it's worth getting excited over. Kind of sounds ominous. Like end of times coming to... record the end.
Bang a rang!

Icy
Noble
Profession: All
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Icy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:14 pm

I like Pengy's storyline. Kill all Humans! Like some bending unit I saw before.
3/3/15 9:27:45a Icy has fallen to a Rat.

Destian
Trainer
Profession: Healer/Slug Wrangler
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Destian » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:34 pm

humbaba wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:55 pm
fetishizing of secrecy
I've never heard it put better than this.

CL's secrets seemed to try abnormally hard to NOT be found and most everyone was all hellbent on keeping things secret to boot...
A video guide to healer pets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ejD_9X1io
"Solomon chuckles"

D'Ead
Fresh off the Boat
Race: Fen'neko

Post by D'Ead » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:12 pm

I'm in the 'try to keep things the way they are camp'. The main issue to me is getting the account portal working again. It's actually really easy to set up a MacOS VM under MacOS now. I did it with Parallels Desktop 13, where it is just a matter of, for example, dragging the "Install macOS High Sierra" application into the setup wizard. It worked with both Sierra and High Sierra on top of El Capitan. The Parallels Lite app from the app store is free for running non-Windows guests, so that should be a good solution. Anyone with a mac new enough to be running whatever version of MacOS that actually won't run the CL client or dev tools shouldn't have a problem running High Sierra in a VM. There might be a slight bit more lag, but it seemed playable.

Grumar Chaosgut
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Temporary Character
Race: Thoom

Post by Grumar Chaosgut » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:39 am

D'Ead wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:12 pm
The main issue to me is getting the account portal working again.
Funny thing is I've been waiting for the account portal to return as long as I've offered to volunteer to help fix it and yet still no answer. I tried contacting Joe through his email but, almost 9 months later his mailbox is still full. I tried contacting a GM through /pray for 6 months straight and no response either. I tried sending a GM in-game mail 2 days ago and no response yet. I'm not trying to bash on the guy or anything as I'm a greenie to this game, but, so far from my experiences for the past 9 months from him and a message posted recently:
It’s been a fantastic run, but it is time to admit that lately we’ve been playing on borrowed time. We don't believe the game can or should continue to limp along in its current form for very much longer, so our inclination is to terminate it as gracefully as we can, sometime in the next few months.
can you blame me for thinking he has abandoned this game? To this point the community has given me more support then the game developer and GM's. I don't have enough karma in me to thank them enough for all the support they have given me. :mrgreen: I definitely would like to inquire about helping with the html 5 client and learn what was technology was used for server end though I have a funny feeling it's Node.js.

Grumar Chaosgut

Leinis
Exile

Post by Leinis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:03 am

Grumar Chaosgut wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:39 am
I definitely would like to inquire about helping with the html 5 client and learn what was technology was used for server end though I have a funny feeling it's Node.js.
Why would the server for a game made in 1998 use server technology that didn't exist until 2009?
Crius yells, "We've got a situation here! There's a vampire cat!"

Jazz
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Post by Jazz » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:57 am

Leinis wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:03 am
Why would the server for a game made in 1998 use server technology that didn't exist until 2009?
Pretty sure he was talking about the dickering around with new HTML5 client and using Node with it. I did the same double take.
Bang a rang!

Grumar Chaosgut
Fresh off the Boat
Profession: Temporary Character
Race: Thoom

Post by Grumar Chaosgut » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Jazz wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:57 am
Leinis wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:03 am
Pretty sure he was talking about the dickering around with new HTML5 client and using Node with it. I did the same double take.
Yes, I was talking about the new HTML 5 client not the current one. The current windows version is probably written in c/c++ using WinSocks. Does anyone know for sure if the HTML 5 client uses nodeJS on the server end?

Grumar Chaosgut

mrfancypants
Exile

Post by mrfancypants » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:21 pm

+1 open sourcing
At this point, there's no point in keeping things secret if it's going to get turned off anyway.

Org du Lac
Exile

Post by Org du Lac » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:05 am

Grumar Chaosgut wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:39 am

can you blame me for thinking he has abandoned this game? To this point the community has given me more support then the game developer and GM's.
FWIW the community has been the same as the GMs for like, ... many years. I guess since whenever Ann or whoever the last GM who got paid by Delta Tao was. I don't know the GMs primary player characters, but if I did I would strongly suspect that they are all characters whose names you immediately recognize. I've gotten a fair bit of GM help for the bestiary (including directly from Joe, a looooonnng time ago), and I suspect several others have gotten help too whether they know it was a GM or not.

Edit: Not that you aren't part of the community Ann!

Icy
Noble
Profession: All
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Icy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:03 pm

Kalian is obviously HelpfulGM
3/3/15 9:27:45a Icy has fallen to a Rat.

Shakyamuni
Open Hands
Profession: Healer/Alchemist

Post by Shakyamuni » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:14 pm

Icy wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:03 pm
Kalian is obviously HelpfulGM
I always thought he was Pengy
Husband to Drablak and Nettle - Brother to Algy and Juren