Fundin
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Profession: Ranger
Race: Dwarf
Player Status: Active

Scribia replacement?

Post by Fundin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:38 pm

Just upgraded my Mac and Scribia no longer works, what do people use now other than paper or Excel?

Does anyone know if anything happened with this thread? viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10158&p=204910&hil ... ia#p204910
99 Bottles of Beer on the wall....
and 99 in my fridge :-D

------
CLAN LORD MAP REPOSITORY
Old maps, new maps, got any maps?
http://www.tidyup.co.uk/clanlord/site/index.html

thesquib
Exile
Profession: Fighter

Re: Scribia replacement?

Post by thesquib » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:16 am

I was actually looking at this a while ago. I hadn't got around to doing much though...

If it's wanted... I might look more :)
HWC Ruuk

Zelkhorn
Exile
Profession: Bloodmage

Post by Zelkhorn » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:30 pm

I'll give you twenty real american dollars or the cost of a large pizza in your area if you do this thing. And you'll be a hero to many!

Do it, you won't do it.

thesquib
Exile

Post by thesquib » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:31 pm

My thoughts were along the lines of a web based product that allowed you to upload either clmov or log files for the purposes of a Scribia replacement. I also would like to incorporate the ability to replay and share vision stones, and view summaries of a vision stone in the form of players seen, monsters seen, money gathered, etc.

Obviously all thoughts though!
HWC Ruuk

Icy
Noble
Profession: All
Player Status: Inactive

Post by Icy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:34 pm

thesquib wrote:My thoughts were along the lines of a web based product that allowed you to upload either clmov or log files for the purposes of a Scribia replacement. I also would like to incorporate the ability to replay and share vision stones, and view summaries of a vision stone in the form of players seen, monsters seen, money gathered, etc.

AFAIK gonna be a pain in the ass to change clmov to a web friendly video codec since clmov is dependent on the cl images and cl sounds files.
3/3/15 9:27:45a Icy has fallen to a Rat.

noivad
Order of the White Elephant
Order of the White Elephant
Race: Sylvan

Post by noivad » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:54 am

Icy wrote:
thesquib wrote:My thoughts were along the lines of a web based product that allowed you to upload either clmov or log files for the purposes of a Scribia replacement. I also would like to incorporate the ability to replay and share vision stones, and view summaries of a vision stone in the form of players seen, monsters seen, money gathered, etc.

AFAIK gonna be a pain in the ass to change clmov to a web friendly video codec since clmov is dependent on the cl images and cl sounds files.
It could be a movie DL repository, as long as we could make SURE the CL movie files are genuine and free of viruses: not that I think any in the community would do this, but that perhaps others—you know the people that constantly scan your home router for UPnP weaknesses despite the fact that you have no accessible UPnP services that open by default do — (don't believe me turn on logging for those sorts of “attacks” on your router if you know how).

I wish I had the time to toss up a new macro respiratory among other things, but the biggest concern is security. If it wasn’t for that, I could have had something up already. The only good news is that my ISP bills are paying themselves with commercial clients, so clanlord.net is stable, and I just need to cover the year domain reg (~$15/yr) + SSL certs for the domain(s). BTW, I do have a succession plan in case I pass away to safeguard this domain. (The domain ownership will go to one of my sister’s who plays on occasion.)

Unfortunately, I looked into the siphon script code ages ago, and it wouldn’t be too much to rewrite—it’s only time and security, but I am pretty stretched thin. As far as trusting uploaded text files: the security issues of parsing files safely is not trivial. It would be safer to make a client that parsed and kept records locally and an API that uploaded ranks counts using OAuth, etc.

If anyone out there has the time and inclination to make a web-based app such as this (or others), I am always willing to host it with no strings attached, assuming you are in good standing (pretty much anyone still playing) and you keep it non-commercial (unless you want to toss up a CL ad :).

Too bad I can’t make money making this sort of stuff for the community—I but a lot of GMs might feel the same way—because than I could justify the time and energy to making this stuff. But not having to answer to a bankroller, also grants a decent amount of freedom.
http://www.clanlord.net/
Org Du Lac's bestiary: http://bestiary.clanlord.net/index.html
Gil Galad’s Pirates http://pirates.clanlord.net/ & Ranger Studies: http://studies.clanlord.net/
?security warning:View cert•CL players assess valid by refs