Moderator: CL GMs

Mac
Exile
Profession: PWC Salandra
Race: Ghorak Zo
Player Status: Active

Taking a break (probably permanent)

Post by Mac » Tue May 16, 2017 3:53 pm

CL is simply not fun or rewarding for me. Some of that is the community (or lack thereof) and some of that is the (what feels like near complete) lack of development combined with the fact that exploration in this game is code for "tree humping for years on end in the hopes finding something new."

Tree humping is not fun. GMs refusing to be open with the community is not fun. Players who only care about their own progression and what is good for them "right now" is not fun (which is not everyone, but it's a lot of people). Introducing a new item to the game then making the components so rare that the entire playerbase makes one of them over 3 years is not only not fun, it screams that the people in charge flat out don't give a shit about even trying to make things fun.

If the GMs want to change things up or hire GMs who have time to work on the game then I might come back. If the playerbase magically changes how it acts and what is important to it then I might com back.

One thing, I'm going to keep promoting mystics (unless they're fucking terrible) even though I wont be playing anymore. I've always disliked that Mystics/GMs quit the game and everything they were involved with just dies. I'll try to get at least a couple replacements in.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath
Profession: Destroyer of Worlds
Race: Fen'neko

Re: Taking a break (probably permanent)

Post by Daimoth » Tue May 16, 2017 6:26 pm

The expectation can't be on the playerbase to self-sacrifice. No one's going to do that, in a game. I don't think it's fair for people to expect it of you Salandra, but it's also not fair of you to expect it from everyone else in an instant. People are just trying to squeeze out whatever enjoyment they can at this point

Agree on the game mechanic stuff though 100%
Extreme level disparity is community disparity.

Mac
Exile

Post by Mac » Tue May 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Daimoth wrote:People are just trying to squeeze out whatever enjoyment they can at this point.
I don't fault the playerbase for wanting to have fun - I very much understand and agree that people should do that. What I fault (some of) the playerbase for is not looking past their share count, rank gain, or lasties spreadsheet to see that they could help other people have fun too. (Some of this is caused by poorly thought out game mechanics and some of this is because of the way the playerbase has chosen to use the mechanics available).
Daimoth wrote:The expectation can't be on the playerbase to self-sacrifice. No one's going to do that, in a game.
You're simply wrong on both counts. You can expect people to self sacrifice for the good of others or simple kindness - especially in a social orientated game like CL - and people who play this game specifically do in fact self sacrifice. If you, or someone else, doesn't agree or doesn't see that then frankly you might be part of the problem that I'm describing.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Tue May 16, 2017 10:47 pm

Mac wrote: You're simply wrong on both counts. You can expect people to self sacrifice for the good of others or simple kindness - especially in a social orientated game like CL - and people who play this game specifically do in fact self sacrifice. If you, or someone else, doesn't agree or doesn't see that then frankly you might be part of the problem that I'm describing.
Then I am. I'm not going to squander my time trying to counteract mechanics that are built against us. I've done it enough in the past to absolutely no avail. I've built so many people up just to watch them inevitably leave due to an insurmountable mechanical level gap. I've put together so many large expeditions just to see little to no GM response despite it being planned weeks out to major storyline areas. The difference between you and me is I'm still playing, and you're talking about giving up entirely. Don't criticize those of us who play any way we can, because we're the life this game still has left.

Hope you stay, regardless of your misguided idea of what a video game should be.

Mac
Exile

Post by Mac » Tue May 16, 2017 11:20 pm

Daimoth wrote:The difference between you and me is I'm still playing, and you're talking about giving up entirely.
The difference between you and me is that you might honestly believe that is the only difference.
Daimoth wrote:Don't criticize those of us who play any way we can, because we're the life this game still has left.
I only fault the people who don't put any effort into trying to make the game fun and or rewarding for other people. If that's not you (group you, not you specifically) then there's nothing to worry about.

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Fogtripper » Mon May 22, 2017 9:07 am

I would pop in and give you a hug goodbye, but I am on the outside looking in. In fact I'll just give you a pixel hug once you too are on the outside. :)

Salandra, not Diamoth.

Fafnir
Exile

Post by Fafnir » Wed May 24, 2017 8:08 pm

I lost my password when my computer harddrive had to be reformated and since there is no automated way to get it back but only to bother a GM I prefer to wait until this is done.

Daimoth
Llehn ryn Rhav'tsath

Post by Daimoth » Sat May 27, 2017 3:24 am

Fafnir wrote:I lost my password when my computer harddrive had to be reformated and since there is no automated way to get it back but only to bother a GM I prefer to wait until this is done.
Until what is done?? Did you tell a GM?

Fogtripper
Noble
Profession: Walker of Ether
Player Status: Spambot

Post by Fogtripper » Tue May 30, 2017 12:43 pm

Daimoth wrote:
Fafnir wrote:I lost my password when my computer harddrive had to be reformated and since there is no automated way to get it back but only to bother a GM I prefer to wait until this is done.

"automated way to get it back"

Zelkhorn
Exile
Profession: Bloodmage
Race: Dwarf

Post by Zelkhorn » Wed May 31, 2017 11:19 am

Thanks for everything, Sal. <3

Org du Lac
Exile

Post by Org du Lac » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:21 am

Daimoth wrote:
I think he's waiting until DT implements an automatic way to reset your forgotten password, like via an email address.

I also wonder if Fafnir just forgot his character password and still remembers his account password, in which case he could just reset it that way.

Haffron
Knights of Ni

Post by Haffron » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:36 pm

Mac wrote:CL is simply not fun or rewarding for me. Some of that is the community (or lack thereof) and some of that is the (what feels like near complete) lack of development combined with the fact that exploration in this game is code for "tree humping for years on end in the hopes finding something new."

Tree humping is not fun. GMs refusing to be open with the community is not fun. Players who only care about their own progression and what is good for them "right now" is not fun (which is not everyone, but it's a lot of people). Introducing a new item to the game then making the components so rare that the entire playerbase makes one of them over 3 years is not only not fun, it screams that the people in charge flat out don't give a shit about even trying to make things fun.

If the GMs want to change things up or hire GMs who have time to work on the game then I might come back. If the playerbase magically changes how it acts and what is important to it then I might com back.

One thing, I'm going to keep promoting mystics (unless they're fucking terrible) even though I wont be playing anymore. I've always disliked that Mystics/GMs quit the game and everything they were involved with just dies. I'll try to get at least a couple replacements in.

Thanks for moving the portal back and forth and all of your other contributions.
Santa's crossbow knocked my eye out!

Killian
Exile
Profession: Ranger

Post by Killian » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:44 pm

Mac wrote:CL is simply not fun or rewarding for me. Some of that is the community (or lack thereof) and some of that is the (what feels like near complete) lack of development combined with the fact that exploration in this game is code for "tree humping for years on end in the hopes finding something new."

Mac. Please don't give up on us just yet. You Know me. I hate that damn portal but i'll help you move it when i'm around. I'd like to see you move it to anyplace you wish. I'll help you move it. I'm sure i'm not strong enough to really help past bridge but I also don't mind the depart. Sal, Come back to us. If I have my way there will be no portal to move soon. Otherwise, if it's still here, i'll help you move it! Or help in any other way you find fun. I often see that what is fun for others is fun for me as well. So if you have a goal I can help with let me know!
If I can help you in any way. Please ask.

Fafnir
Exile

Post by Fafnir » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:33 pm

Org du Lac wrote:
Daimoth wrote:
I think he's waiting until DT implements an automatic way to reset your forgotten password, like via an email address.

I also wonder if Fafnir just forgot his character password and still remembers his account password, in which case he could just reset it that way.
It's the character (which is the same for all). It has happen to me years ago and Joe made it work again. He made it almost easy to remind but not quite.