Coriakin
Red Quill
Red Quill
Profession: Bard
Race: Thoom
Player Status: Active

Audition information

Post by Coriakin » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:16 am

Here's some basic information about auditions.

Auditions are currently scheduled on demand. If you want to audition, contact a member of the Bard Council, and we'll try to find a time that works for you and us. The currently active bard master is Rakshasa, everyone else (including me :/ ) seems to be missing.

General information:
- All songs should be original works. Don't use music written by others. Duh.
- Your music should demonstrate a good understanding of melody, harmony, rhythm, and song contruction.
- You will be less likely to pass with avant-gadre pieces than you would be with pieces in 'normal' keys in common time signatures (such as 4/4, 3/4, 6/8, etc.). You have to know the rules before you can break them.
- Your compositions should convey a mood, or tell a story, or create a texture.
- All songs must have titles. (even if they're "Untitled 1-4")
- Your songs should be written for solo performance. Duets and Trios are generally inappropriate for auditions.
- Your songs should take advantage of the uniqueness of your instrument. For example, music for stringed instruments should include chords.
- Your personal presentation and character will be considered.

Quester audition:
- Four songs to be played.
- All the songs must be for one instrument.
- An instrument will be provided by the judges.
- We aren't expecting genius here, just a basic understanding of the basics of music and composition.
- It's customary for a hopeful to meet with a bard before arranging their audition, as the bard can help the hopeful determine whether they are ready to audition, and provide instruction in a variety of areas including commands and syntax.

Full Bard audition:
- No less than four songs, no more than six. These songs must be different than the songs used for the quester audition.
- These songs may be played on any instruments the quester has had Hendrux make for them.
- A greater degree of skill is required to pass this audition. You are unlikely to pass without well-developed pieces of music.
Bard Master, Punster, and general Very Silly Person.

Coriakin
Red Quill
Red Quill

Post by Coriakin » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:20 am

How's this? Anything I left out?

Coriakin

-----
In your FACE, church modes!

xepel
Trainer
Race: Sylvan

Post by xepel » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:47 am

For basic information, I think it's pretty good!

It's nice of you to have put up all this info, Cori. About time!

Guinness
Exile
Profession: Pied Piper
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Spambot

Re: Audition information

Post by Guinness » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:54 pm

Any recommendations on how long a tune should be? I know they should have that completed feel to them.. but will shorter pieces be frowned upon?
Grank exclaims, "Oh my, a ferocious Scavenger Bird!"

xepel
Trainer
Race: Sylvan

Post by xepel » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:37 am

I'd probably say a minute long. Shorter pieces can 'feel' done, but the audition is so that we can hear that you know the basics of how to write songs. Very short songs are harder to critique in that way.

Of course, we aren't (or at least I'm not!) going to be sitting there with a stopwatch, so take that as a general guideline, and not a hard-and-fast rule.
Helpful GM exclaims, "Mystics can fly and walk through walls. They don't need boats on the water, and they can teleport at will!"

Coriakin
Red Quill
Red Quill

Post by Coriakin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:34 pm

I was going to go into detail about phrases and development and stuff, but Xepel's guideline is good enough. :)
Bard Master, Punster, and general Very Silly Person.

Guinness
Exile

Post by Guinness » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:16 am

Aye. I'm still learning how-to use CL music format too. Since I'm using windows it can be a pain. The program to convert midi's to CL format doesnt work on my comp. And the other java tool behaves irrationally - chords and alt repeat endings do not function as they are supposed to. I haven't even attempted to play around with volume yet, but I know the power of dynamics.

I'd do my writing in game, but have no idea how yet. Bought a music folder and have no clue what to do with it. Even got a bone and a lucky bone, but Hendrux wants nothin to do with me.

I'm guessing that will all change after I pass the audition.

which I will, God willing.

Guinness
Exile

Post by Guinness » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:51 am

Also, one of the tunes I made up is shockingly similar to the tune 'what do you do with a drunken sailor'. I didn't notice this until a day or two after I first made it. Well, the first section is similar.. the next bit I made leave on its own completely different path.

But, I wasn't copying the tune! I made it up on my own! It just is so uncannily alike (the first section)... What say ye to a piece like that?