Clan Lord Kickstarter

Polls, discussion and commentary on suggested issues.

Moderators: Lorikeet, CL GMs

Would you contribute to a massive CL update financially?

Yes.
86%
No. But I support the effort.
3%
No. Bad idea!
11%

Total votes: 63

Eirian
Zouclougiest Alliance
Zouclougiest Alliance
Profession: Ranger
Race: Fen'neko
Player Status: Active

Re: Clan Lord Kickstarter

Post by Eirian » Wed May 15, 2013 6:02 pm

Aye'cha wrote: {Important Segment Starts Now}
The reasion I was looking, is because CL is still quite cartoony, but the low-def characters sprites, leave us to picture our character how we want to see them. Artists such as Sutai, Kisa, Polanna, Sor, ManyOthersICanNotNameAtTheMoment, and myself have created renditions of what we picture others and our own characters look like. So as we try to talk about a CL2 and the implications of creating higher quality character models with-said-engine, could have large impacts on peoples perspective of their own characters. What if the Sprites don't represent how Tip'ii (pulled a random name, no reason for that name) sees himself but maybe it does represent how Kalian and Wormtounge see themselves... This is going to be a large discussion because to tackle the issue of what style to go with, will impact -=(Everyone)=- and you won't be able to please 100%. Then we would get into the realm of even deeper character customization (Im totally for that!!!) where you could have different bodytypes (stick, slender, average, thick, buffpants) and faces, hair types, etc etc. It's a slippery slope and a can of worms. There's alot of good things that could come from it, but a daunting task none the less.
I've played a few games where the avatars for each type of character were the same, but you could tweak them a lot; not just selecting hairstyles, skin colors, etc, but changing the size and positioning of facial features and body type a bit. (Some changes were free, others cost in-game currency, and a few cost real money.)

If people could make these kinds of adjustments to achieve an individual look, that might help raise the % pleased for a relatively low cost. --But I don't know how hard or easy it is to implement that kind of thing, so maybe the cost isn't low at all.
6/9/10 9:38:37a Eirian Caldwell has fallen to a Dragonfly.
4/14/15 8:53:57p Geotzou says, "i am very patient, except if i have to wait."

Starsword
Exile

Post by Starsword » Wed May 15, 2013 7:05 pm

message->Hoggle
I haven't heard from Ryan in eons and never got to work on his project because of my then lack of artistic skill. I barely knew him.

I agree, a clear set of design documents with game-engine prototyping would definitely be a good first step.

message->Aye'cah
I was among those who had his own vision for CL. I produced a great deal of artwork and textures but not all got in. :P

NWN was a good game and highly customizable. Bioware now being owned by EA and it's why I stopped modding for NWN... that and my main project, LUSH, became too important to me to merely give the tech away to monolithic EA. I once made a version of Puddleby in the editor.

Facial and body customizations are pretty much required in a modern RPG. Bioware's Mass Effect and Bethesda's Elder Scrolls character generators are both good examples.

Sunblaze

Post by Sunblaze » Wed May 15, 2013 8:22 pm

I do have an Hero Engine account. It's a nice 3D MMO engine that I like playing with it (wish they have a chat with Storybricks people) and there's a lot of ways to customize a player character from morph points to alpha channels. I've been learning 3D to make a game with it.

So yeah. MMOs been very customizing lately.

Aye'cha
Neko No Kessha

Post by Aye'cha » Thu May 16, 2013 9:01 am

To both Starsword and Sunblaze,

Those were great games but recall one of the Flavors of CL that (atleast so far) everyone wants to keep, even myself, is the OverHeadView and the way you move about/melee/m-stone. So 2.5D would be the most needed. Thats why referenced the Ragnarok Online on the previous page. Yes yes, it's a bit anime-y but that's not what I was trying to show. I was trying to show an example of an OHV rpg with higher quality sprites and better engine. I think bringing CL to the year 2000 would accentuate the style we love way more than trying to bring it into 3D. I think actually trying to bring it into 3D would actually ruin it. Just my opinion on that tho.
Cinnamon wrote:More carrot less stick please.

Hoggle
Dwarven Militia
Dwarven Militia
Race: Dwarf

Post by Hoggle » Thu May 16, 2013 10:52 am

Aye'cha wrote: I think actually trying to bring it into 3D would actually ruin it. Just my opinion on that tho.
3d clanlord existed! Phroon, Skirwan and myself had a Minecraft: Puddleby server up for a bit.

Here is a small part of town:

Phroon
ThoomCare™
ThoomCare™
Profession: Healer
Race: Thoom

Post by Phroon » Thu May 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Hoggle wrote:Here is a small part of town:

<snip>
I still love that skin.

Aye'cha
Neko No Kessha

Post by Aye'cha » Thu May 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Hoggle wrote:
Aye'cha wrote: I think actually trying to bring it into 3D would actually ruin it. Just my opinion on that tho.
3d clanlord existed! Phroon, Skirwan and myself had a Minecraft: Puddleby server up for a bit.

Here is a small part of town:
Looks like someone should make a CL Mod :p Come up with purgatory, healing, mystics, and all the etc functions we have :p

Haffron
Knights of Ni

Post by Haffron » Thu May 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Dude, we need to get on this Minecraft business.
Santa's crossbow knocked my eye out!

Starsword
Exile

Post by Starsword » Thu May 16, 2013 6:22 pm

Aye'cha wrote:To both Starsword and Sunblaze,

Those were great games but recall one of the Flavors of CL that (atleast so far) everyone wants to keep, even myself, is the OverHeadView and the way you move about/melee/m-stone. So 2.5D would be the most needed. Thats why referenced the Ragnarok Online on the previous page. Yes yes, it's a bit anime-y but that's not what I was trying to show. I was trying to show an example of an OHV rpg with higher quality sprites and better engine. I think bringing CL to the year 2000 would accentuate the style we love way more than trying to bring it into 3D. I think actually trying to bring it into 3D would actually ruin it. Just my opinion on that tho.
I agree, a 2.5D would probably be the best format.

Gloria
Noble
Profession: Spiritual Advisor
Race: Halfling

Post by Gloria » Thu May 16, 2013 8:46 pm

I disagree with all suggested changes to CL graphics. The graphics should continue in the usual overhead 2D view with appropriate new 2D animations for new areas that fit this style.
Aye'cha wrote:I'm not pulling a Gloria here

Aye'cha
Neko No Kessha

Post by Aye'cha » Thu May 16, 2013 8:48 pm

Gloria wrote:I disagree with all suggested changes to CL graphics. The graphics should continue in the usual overhead 2D view with appropriate new 2D animations for new areas that fit this style.
Im unclear as to, exactly what you mean by "all suggested changes to CL graphics". Are you wanting to keep the exact sprites? no change whatsoever? Just asking for clarification ^_^

Gloria
Noble
Profession: Spiritual Advisor
Race: Halfling

Post by Gloria » Thu May 16, 2013 8:54 pm

I am ok with small changes, like inventing new monster or background graphics for new areas. A good example would be the flora used in Metzetli Island. It is important that any new graphics are 2D overhead view.

I am ok with new character graphics as long as the old ones are always available. A good example is the new female halfling icon which has a face while the old female halfling icon (which I prefer) is still an available option.
Aye'cha wrote:I'm not pulling a Gloria here

Starsword
Exile

Post by Starsword » Fri May 17, 2013 6:43 am

message->Gloria

You mean that an area should not be visible from 8 different directions? Pure 2D would with the latter would require Just about EVERYTHING (buildings, rocks, trees, flowers) to be redrawn with new angles, as well as generate a greater strain on video and regular memory.

If this is what you're thinking while hoping that everything would stay purely the same, that would not be possible. It would be possible to have a 3D environment with each 2D tree/rock/flower/building always facing the camera but constantly rotating buildings and boulders would look shabby.

As 2.5D offers a tradeoff of retaining a great deal of the monster and player-avatar art so 2.5D would still be the best choice.

Aye'cha
Neko No Kessha

Post by Aye'cha » Fri May 17, 2013 11:58 am

Redoing CL (CL2.0) and yet keeping the same 32x32(?) pixel character images would be a slight bummer. We would have the ability to make it better while keeping the same cartoony style.. I would not want to keep the same small pixel limitations.. If we were to keep the same low-def we already have, then I'd just stay with CL1 myself.

Cradlesong
Exile
Profession: Surgeon
Race: Sylvan

Post by Cradlesong » Fri May 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Aye'cha wrote:
Haffron wrote:Clan Lord 2 could be Voxel based, like Minecraft, CastleStory, Stonehearth, and so forth. A lot of games are coming out and look like they will be a ton of fun, (only 1-2 devs) and this is exactly what a Clan Lord 2 should be like.

I think the goals of the kickstarter should also include:
-Expanding Clan Lord's world to outside the island chain. Mobius, etc. While still preserving the exiled lands.
-Exporting the current characters over, even if we remained exiled forever. I would rather us be GMs, or something rather than boring NPCs.

ETC.

While minecraft and Stoneheart look good and work well with Voxel, I'd rather not see CL use it. I'd rather still see OHV sprites using a better engine. An example of the kind I'm talking about, is relative to Ragnarok Online.

I would MUCH rather see
-----OR-----

May as well utilize the NWN engine if that's the look to look for.
Where do we go from here
Faith is a fading fear
Life is a waiting room
I hope they don't call me soon